Lets laugh at Jack Thompson.
[wcip]Angel,Jan 23 2006, Wrote:While Occhi's advice may have appeared sound in the past, I can't defend this stance any longer. Thompson has now gone from being an annoying attention-whore to ... well, I can't seem to find a label for him that wouldn't break the rules of conduct here on the Lounge, so I'll refrain from trying to find one.
[right][snapback]99916[/snapback][/right]
Ghoul? Seems perfect to me.

It's nice to see MetalGearSolid.net's response to this, thanks Angel. Plus, since we know from past form that Jack Thompson will always rise to any bait laid before him it should be interesting to see how he responds to that.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Who is Jack Thompson? A quick review of origins is revealing of his character:

Jack Thompson is the worst kind of ambulance chaser- the kind that sues the doctor.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
I would say that this is just one more reason why I despise religion in all its forms, but I'm almost completely certain that Thompson has been doing this little crusade against gaming for publicity, rather than out of some kind of religious obligation.

To tell the truth, I'm fairly impressed; he's managed to piss off quite possibly millions of both gamers and Christians.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
When stories of madmen like this hits the media you'll have to take a little reality-check.

Sure Jack Thompson is a full-scale douchebag (one of my favourite american terms) and probably also a bit mentally unstable, but is he such a cause of alarm?

When a madman enters the poltical scene what you have to pay attention to is how much power he actually wields and how many followers he is able to attract.

As it seems now he seems mainly to be big annoying bullhorn who is merely giving a few legal professionals a bit of extra work.

The kind of people he is likely to convert with his crusade are the kind of people who already shared his sentiments: Fervent religious conservatives who are afraid of pop culture and modernism.

For other people he is too much of an impolite buffoon to convince anyone.