Is this biased reporting?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9707507/

Basically a group of Nazies planned a march to protest violence by blacks in Toledo. And they managed to subtlety incite the locals (blacks) into a big riot with out even doing the actual march.

So is it biased that this report never mentions that the rioters were black?
Ghostiger,Oct 15 2005, 07:41 PM Wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9707507/

Basically a group of Nazies planned a march to protest violence by blacks in Toledo. And they managed to subtlety incite the locals (blacks) into a big riot with out even doing the actual march.

[right][snapback]92249[/snapback][/right]

The folks rioting were of several races. Or so I have heard. Nobody likes a Nazi.

Never mind colour, the whole article is sad.

People are violent because it is human nature, not because of their skin colour. It is our nature to destroy each other and our selves. Skin colour, polical affiliation, or religious beliefs are used as an excuse to enable this behaviour, because somehow, having a reason makes it justified. Makes it right in some folk's eyes.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Ghostiger,Oct 16 2005, 12:41 AM Wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9707507/

[right][snapback]92249[/snapback][/right]
Pizdec vsem, Drem uebet suki, ne stoyat' v riad, sh'as zhahnu padly
Saint_Hanibal,Oct 16 2005, 01:25 AM Wrote:Pizdec vsem, Drem uebet suki, ne stoyat' v riad, sh'as zhahnu padly
[right][snapback]92255[/snapback][/right]
NM , false alarm
The violleent riot was pretty much blacks from all the pics I saw.
Ghostiger,Oct 15 2005, 08:37 PM Wrote:The violleent riot was pretty much blacks from all the pics I saw.
[right][snapback]92258[/snapback][/right]

Did they riot because they were black?

Or did they riot because they were human beings, with emotions, who were outraged?

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Saint_Hanibal,Oct 15 2005, 06:25 PM Wrote:Pizdec vsem, Drem uebet suki, ne stoyat' v riad, sh'as zhahnu padly
[right][snapback]92255[/snapback][/right]

Ti mne na nervii deistvuyesh, idiot.
Zamolchi uzhe.

-A
Ashock,Oct 16 2005, 01:48 AM Wrote:Ti mne na nervii deistvuyesh, idiot.
Zamolchi uzhe.

-A
[right][snapback]92261[/snapback][/right]
lol pervyj
The fact that they were black is pertaint to the story. My opinion on your question has no bearing on the correct answer to my original question.
Ghostiger,Oct 15 2005, 07:31 PM Wrote:The fact that they were black is pertaint to the story. My opinion on your question has no bearing on the correct answer to my original question.
[right][snapback]92264[/snapback][/right]

Um, Ghostiger, I don't know if this is the sort of question that has a "correct" answer. I'm sure you'll find lots of opinions, though.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
You seem to eager to point out that they are black, and not to willing to say that they are human beings.

With all due respect, I am backing out of this thread. I have a bad feeling and I don't like where this is currently going.

Several unpleasant words come to mind. Stereotype, stigma, racism... And when those words come to mind I tend to become quite ugly. Mean even. Down right spiteful.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Deja Vu :

I really hate intolerant people .

--Irony
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Well I think we all agree(or I hope we do) that race it self is not a cause of violence.

But it is interesting to see the media dance around a central element of a story like that. Its an important fact even in just showing how devious the Nazies were.
TaMeOlta,Oct 16 2005, 02:46 AM Wrote:Deja Vu :

I really hate intolerant people .

--Irony
[right][snapback]92268[/snapback][/right]
I had a very good blk guy visit me today, he got some water from me, poor dude was thirsty. Making money by carrying coupon books around houses. Looked like he did the distance on foot too :(
Doc,Oct 15 2005, 09:44 PM Wrote:You seem to eager to point out that they are black, and not to willing to say that they are human beings.

With all due respect, I am backing out of this thread. I have a bad feeling and I don't like where this is currently going.

Several unpleasant words come to mind. Stereotype, stigma, racism... And when those words come to mind I tend to become quite ugly. Mean even. Down right spiteful.
[right][snapback]92266[/snapback][/right]

Having grown up in northwest Ohio, I remember that these white supremacist groups would occasionally hold rallies in Bowling Green, and the police would have their hands full with the protestors, who were almost all white. The difference is that you are about as likely to find a black person in Bowling Green as you are to find a white, non-Hungarian, person in downtown Toledo, so it wouldn't be surprising that the protestors correspond to the local populous.

That said, I don't remember anyone breaking into stores or cars as part of the Bowling Green protests. That should just be an anecdote rather than a black or white issue, but there is a problem. The problem is that the highest levels of black leadership in America (and I mean leaders of blacks, not black leaders) have on countless occasions condoned (or at least excused) rioting as a legitimate form of protest. You have a situation where at times people feel on a national level that they don't get justice because of their skin color, and this is how they respond. And so because of this leadership, it's not easy to say that if the protesters were white, they would choose to riot as well.

But the bigger problem is that Toledo is a dead city, and has been for years. The economy is stagnant at best. They relied for years on Jeep plants which are not producing out of Toledo the way they used to. The city school district is right up there with Cleveland's in competition to be the worst educational experience in Ohio, and no matter if they throw a ton of money at it or none at all it never gets better. You've got a lot of poor, undereducated, socially screwed up families, and the kids are turning to the gangs, like in big cities all over the country. The fact that they are black is not necessarily the key issue, but ironically the two groups think it *is* the key issue are black leadership and white supremacists.
And you seem eager to divert the question. Instead of focusing on media bias you want to imply Im racist.
Hanibal,
Please read your private messages. Thanks.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Doc,Oct 15 2005, 06:50 PM Wrote:The folks rioting were of several races. Or so I have heard. Nobody likes a Nazi.

Never mind colour, the whole article is sad.

People are violent because it is human nature, not because of their skin colour. It is our nature to destroy each other and our selves. Skin colour, polical affiliation, or religious beliefs are used as an excuse to enable this behaviour, because somehow, having a reason makes it justified. Makes it right in some folk's eyes.
[right][snapback]92250[/snapback][/right]

Doc, I don't like Nazi's either, but they are allowed First Ammendment protection like every other citizen. For people to riot against the lawful first ammendment activities of fellow citizens strikes me as either a Civil Rights violation, or a disturbing the peace violation. (though the papers use of "riot" may be hyperbole. I wasn't there to see.) To conduct a peaceful and orderly counter demonstration is an exercise of First Ammendment rights as well, and IMO retains the moral high ground.

Do you now understand the issue Ghostiger is raising?

Free Speech. I am a huge fan of it.

I don't care if it is hateful, say what you like, and we are all free to discern how good, or corrupt, our fellow citizens' hearts are through their exercise of freespeech. The truth will out in the end, free speech is supposed to facilitate that greater good.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Let me guess - its good I cant read that or we would have another scene thread?
I remember a few years back an online news article stationed in Michigan that reported a store robbery— a knife-wielding robber who tried to hold up... wait for it... a gun store.

Robber got shot and sent to the hospital. The reporter implied that the store owner should have been charged with something because he had a gun (a blurb to the effect of "...police could not find anything to charge the owner with at this time...") and referred to the robber as the "victim"— twice.

With the reporter's blatant anti-gun slant on the story, the guy with the gun was automatically deemed evil and worthy of suspicion— despite that nagging little fact that he was the guy who was being robbed.

Therefore, I'm not exactly shocked nor surprised that a reporter (in the days of Internet articles where a 16-year old girl's blog may contain timelier or more detailed information than what you get at CNN.com) might be a bit flawed in his or her journalistic practices. That's why I rely on gypsy scryers and crystal balls for my news. Tried sheep entrails before, but it attracted far too many cats.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.