Patch 1.8 available for download.
Quote:A Graveyard has been added to Duskwood at Ravenhill Cemetery.

Has anyone else checked this? I was mucking around with an alt, trying to kill the embalmer's bride, failed and popped up in Darkshire. :(

Quote:Fixed bug where players would get stuck in the falling animation if they cast an instant-cast spell while jumping.

Well, there goes one of my hobbies. :blush: If you were a tauren, jumping down hill and casting was quite a funny effect. A fun way to cruise around orgemart anyways. ;)

Quote:Due to popular demand the general goods vendor in Undercity now sells Morning Glory Dew.

About time too! I could never remember where to go in UC to get my MGD fix. :lol:
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Treesh,Oct 11 2005, 05:58 AM Wrote:Latency upon entering crowded areas, such as Ironforge and Orgrimmar, should be substantially reduced.
[right][snapback]91610[/snapback][/right]

Does anyone else find the cure worse than the sickness?

Before the patch I'd log on, be able to induce the lag by doing things that caused a database access on the server (check mail, type /who, open my bags), then freeze for 30 seconds or so, then everything would be fine for the most part.

Now I zone into Orgrimmar and NPCs take 3-5 minutes to show up. Sure I don't lag, but I run around seeing only shadows on the ground for so much longer than I ever lagged before. Can't use mail, can't use the AH, can't talk to the NPCs, can't even use the flightmaster.

Connecting flights are a pain now even in areas that aren't densely populated. Took over a minute for the flightmaster to pop in Hammerfall, which isn't really a bustling horde metropolis.

I also think I'm seeing mobs show up closer than they were previously, though this could be placebo. It's unnerving to be in Un'goro because I'm even more worried about Devilsaurs.

I dunno, I think I'd rather have the lag.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Been working fine for me so far. I think I've also noticed NPCs showing up before PCs.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Concillian,Oct 13 2005, 12:37 PM Wrote:Does anyone else find the cure worse than the sickness?

Now I zone into Orgrimmar and NPCs take 3-5 minutes to show up.  Sure I don't lag, but I run around seeing only shadows on the ground for so much longer than I ever lagged before.  Can't use mail, can't use the AH, can't talk to the NPCs, can't even use the flightmaster.

I dunno, I think I'd rather have the lag.
[right][snapback]91976[/snapback][/right]

Haven't observed these problems. Just removed the lag for me, even in freakishly crowded Doomhammer Ironforge (way worse than Terenas Orgrimmar). My guess is you've only got 512M on your system?
vor_lord,Oct 13 2005, 01:53 PM Wrote:My guess is you've only got 512M on your system?
[right][snapback]91985[/snapback][/right]

I'm pretty confident it's not insufficient hardware:
main machine is A64 S939 @ 2000MHz + 2 gigs + 7800GT (currently out of commission for windows re-installation...grr)
backup is A64 S754 @ 2000MHz + 1.5 gigs + x800pro
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
What's your hard drive? I was under impression that most of the lag was caused by loading of the textures/models into RAM from your Hard Drive, so a fast drive with fast access speed might be your best solution for the problem.

Also I noticed that because of the frequent patches and changes to WoW files, it is a good practice to defragment your hard drive once in a while as well.
Concillian,Oct 13 2005, 02:00 PM Wrote:I'm pretty confident it's not insufficient hardware:
main machine is A64 S939 @ 2000MHz + 2 gigs + 7800GT  (currently out of commission for windows re-installation...grr)
backup is A64 S754 @ 2000MHz + 1.5 gigs + x800pro
[right][snapback]91986[/snapback][/right]

Well my guess was WAY off!

I don't know then -- my lag has never been bad and I've got the overhead of running it under emulator on Linux, not to mention hardware that is way inferior to that.
lemekim,Oct 13 2005, 02:31 PM Wrote:What's your hard drive? I was under impression that most of the lag was caused by loading of the textures/models into RAM from your Hard Drive, so a fast drive with fast access speed might be your best solution for the problem.

Also I noticed that because of the frequent patches and changes to WoW files, it is a good practice to defragment your hard drive once in a while as well.
[right][snapback]91988[/snapback][/right]

Well, my setup is a bit umm... atypical? Yes, atypical is the right word.

WoW is on my linux fileserver which is 4 drives in a RAID 5 config. The two client machines each have a 15kRPM SCSI drive as the main drive (though it's looking like that may be what failed on my main machine). Network speed is gigabit, and throughput isn't an issue on reads (I've transferred files from fileserver to client as fast as the client can write on it's local drive) but writes are slower than normal because my RAID card in the fileserver slows down on the parity calculations, only about 20MB/sec. There shouldn't be much requirement for writing though, and 20 MB/sec isn't slow, just slower than the 40-60 MB/sec I see on sustained reads.

I suppose I'll try copying the files locally and running that way, but I hope that's not the issue. I like it on the file server, becuase I can use either computer and not have to change my config, and UI mods only need to be updated in the one place. When my main computer crapped out earlier this week, I only had downtime in WoW for as long as it took me to reboot, realize windows wasn't going to boot, then walk into the other room and load WoW on that machine.
Actually lem, I think you're right. My backup machine was on 10/100 not gigabit, which stifles the transfer rate. I forgot to install the gbit card when I got married and my wife brought the compy from her old place (where the network speed didn't matter) to here.

I need to install the gbit card and it should get back to normal (I hope).

Thanks.