Avarice Alliance takes down Onyxia again...
kandrathe,Oct 11 2005, 10:18 AM Wrote:How many were alive at the end?  The last 5% was where the miracles occured.  Some great saves by healers and warriors to control her that last bit.
[right][snapback]91627[/snapback][/right]
I went down trying to finish off the first chunk of whelps in phase 2 on the east side. It was a larger then usual bunch that came out. Many thanks to the player that brought me back up almost immediately (I don't remember who it was :blush: ). I was put back in combat before I could eat/drink so I had to bandage and evocate but then I was back in it. This allowed me to help chase down Darian's new found friends and continue blasting until lava and her breath finally finished me at 1%. Those last couple percent were certainly tense. I was afraid we were going to see a 1% wipe, but the rest of you took her out. /cheer :D
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
lfd,Oct 11 2005, 08:25 PM Wrote:Can't they?  I was under the impression that all melee classes could hit her when she was airborne if they stood directly below her.  Can't say that I've tried, however.
[right][snapback]91744[/snapback][/right]

Only special skills. Normal attacks don't work. Hence, Rogues suffer little, Warriors suffer decent (Rage generation), and Paladins ... hah!
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Edit: Deleted due to redunancy missed Quark's reply.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
savaughn,Oct 11 2005, 10:51 PM Wrote:... and we have officially hit full blown troll territory.  Welcome to Bad-strawman-ville.  Population: you.
[right][snapback]91730[/snapback][/right]

Thank you for contributing to the thread in a meaningful manner! Oh wait, you didn't. Hello Mr. Savaughn, Troll Extraordinaire, nice to meet you.

Trolls aside, there is one thing you should be aware with Onyxia. I am not sure if this is a new, or simply more pronounced bug, but there are issues with Judgement of Wisdom and Judgement of Light on Onyxia, as well as a lot of normal mobs. The mob will simply face people who hit her and healed/gained mana, but not actually attack them. Needless to say, if Onyxia starts facing in random directions every 2 seconds, you guys will start flying like candy out of a pinata. This might be in part what you are seeing sometimes, and the bugginess with those 2 spells is something that is more pronounced in this patch then before.

So perhaps for next Onyxia kill you can avoid using those and see if it helps with funky aggro.

Good luck on the next kill, and grats on this one. I didn't mean to downplay your achievement, it's just annoying when people try to highlight something that really doesn't matter. You killed Onyxia? Congrats. You killed her without Fear Ward? Does it really matter? Do you really care what the naysayers post? You are just stirring people up when you say that. Ignore them and enjoy the Onyxia buff - you are now a Dragonslayer!
lemekim,Oct 12 2005, 12:32 PM Wrote:Ignore them and enjoy the Onyxia buff - you are now a Dragonslayer!
[right][snapback]91795[/snapback][/right]
Ouch! Every tiime we've killed her we all trek to SWC and anxiously await... Deafening thud. No Buff. At least we get to see it on NPC's occasionally.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

lemekim,Oct 12 2005, 01:32 PM Wrote:I didn't mean to downplay your achievement, it's just annoying when people try to highlight something that really doesn't matter.

I would like to point out that was the entire point of this thread - it was fighting back from the other side of the argument. We've been annoyed for months, now.

As for Judgements, I think that's new. We killed Onyxia on Monday, and while aggro was worse than usual, she wasn't randomly turning. The Beast, last night, was randomly turning like crazy.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quark,Oct 12 2005, 11:21 AM Wrote:I would like to point out that was the entire point of this thread - it was fighting back from the other side of the argument.  We've been annoyed for months, now.

As for Judgements, I think that's new.  We killed Onyxia on Monday, and while aggro was worse than usual, she wasn't randomly turning.  The Beast, last night, was randomly turning like crazy.
[right][snapback]91807[/snapback][/right]

The beast also seemed like he was in a Mag like Frenzy too...he was moving way faster than normal (normal walk is ususally slow, but he was zipping around in a normal walk mode, not the charge he does).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
lemekim,Oct 12 2005, 01:32 PM Wrote:Trolls aside, there is one thing you should be aware with Onyxia. I am not sure if this is a new, or simply more pronounced bug, but there are issues with Judgement of Wisdom and Judgement of Light on Onyxia, as well as a lot of normal mobs. The mob will simply face people who hit her and healed/gained mana, but not actually attack them. Needless to say, if Onyxia starts facing in random directions every 2 seconds, you guys will start flying like candy out of a pinata. This might be in part what you are seeing sometimes, and the bugginess with those 2 spells is something that is more pronounced in this patch then before.

So perhaps for next Onyxia kill you can avoid using those and see if it helps with funky aggro. [right][snapback]91795[/snapback][/right]

Heh. Looks like Blizzard has already fixed it. I'm actually pretty shocked they fixed it that fast. :)

lemekim,Oct 12 2005, 01:32 PM Wrote:Good luck on the next kill, and grats on this one. I didn't mean to downplay your achievement, it's just annoying when people try to highlight something that really doesn't matter. You killed Onyxia? Congrats. You killed her without Fear Ward? Does it really matter? Do you really care what the naysayers post? You are just stirring people up when you say that. Ignore them and enjoy the Onyxia buff - you are now a Dragonslayer!

Thanks Lemekim. This is the kind of response I have come to expect from you. Rational and well thought out. If you weren't horde I'd by you a drink. ;)
Mirajj,Oct 11 2005, 05:55 PM Wrote:I wasn't, but due to some pretty dumb mistakes of my own. I ended up getting feared far away from where I was supposed to be (East) and instead of just going someplace smart (West) I tried to run to East, caught another fear through two lava cracks, and keeled over dead.

Of course, that's the day that I have Meg and another friend over, watching us kill Onyxia...
[right][snapback]91723[/snapback][/right]
I wasn't either... how much fire resist do those people who consistently live through Stage 3 without healing (hunters, etc.) have? I guess I should be swapping out my Blackhand's Breath for my Ward of Elements and wearing my UBRS key on Onyxia runs? I bandage, and I use my whipper roots and pots, but I haven't managed to live through Stage 3 yet... I just keep getting feared into the flames. :blush:

It was a great run, though... down to the wire, but it's great to get back into the swing of things after the hiatus, and it's good to see that we haven't lost our polish in the meantime. ;)
martini,Oct 12 2005, 04:00 PM Wrote:I wasn't either... how much fire resist do those people who consistently live through Stage 3 without healing (hunters, etc.) have?
[right][snapback]91833[/snapback][/right]

Actually...this is the first time I've died (since we started killing her on a regular basis) in phase 3 if I've made it there. I usually die in phase 2 to several fireballs. *L*

My fear tactic is twofold. Either get up on the wall (She may fear you off, but it'll take a while) or stand at the base of the wall and when she goes to fear (Shaking ground) turn and face the wall. She almost always fears me straight forward, thus straight into a wall. Or right along the wall, avoiding almost all the lava.

YMMV on that tactic, though.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Oct 12 2005, 05:07 PM Wrote:Actually...this is the first time I've died (since we started killing her on a regular basis) in phase 3 if I've made it there. I usually die in phase 2 to several fireballs. *L*

My fear tactic is twofold. Either get up on the wall (She may fear you off, but it'll take a while) or stand at the base of the wall and when she goes to fear (Shaking ground) turn and face the wall. She almost always fears me straight forward, thus straight into a wall.  Or right along the wall, avoiding almost all the lava.

YMMV on that tactic, though.
[right][snapback]91837[/snapback][/right]
I thought we weren't allowed to get up on the wall anymore? I was told that it can put her into Evade-mode. The other suggestion is a good one, I'll definitely try it next time. On Monday, it seemed that I hardly had time in-between fears to bandage or get into position, but that's probably a skewed viewpoint. ;)
martini,Oct 12 2005, 05:53 PM Wrote:I thought we weren't allowed to get up on the wall anymore? I was told that it can put her into Evade-mode.
[right][snapback]91857[/snapback][/right]

AFAIK, the only wall issue is that if you are up there, and she can't reach you, she may teleport you to her. Which is pretty much tantamount to killing you. But I've not heard about her going into evade mode because of someone on the wall, and I've never heard anyone in Avarice say that we aren't "allowed" on the walls.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Yes we were warned not to get up on the walls due to the evade bug. We were also told, at a following raid, that it had been fixed. This was followed a couple raids later with word that it was still happening. I don't go up on the wall, just to be safe, and just hug the wall to get feared back into the wall or along it, as mentioned above.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
In addition to having Fire Resistance, you can also handle a lot of the fire problems by knowing where to stand. The last few times that I've done Onyxia I've gotten hit by fire roughly 2 or possibly 3 times in stage 3 because I've found some nice big spots on her floor where fire doesn't pop up. Thus, most of the time I get feared in a direction where there is no fire. :)
-TheDragoon
Our experience has been that up on the wall, she MAY teleport you, which is an insta kill but vastly preferable to her breathing fire on that side of the raid. We haven't seen any evade mode bugs. We have all heal + ranged up on the walls as soon as the last whelps are down.
martini,Oct 12 2005, 04:00 PM Wrote:I wasn't either... how much fire resist do those people who consistently live through Stage 3 without healing (hunters, etc.) have? I guess I should be swapping out my Blackhand's Breath for my Ward of Elements and wearing my UBRS key on Onyxia runs? I bandage, and I use my whipper roots and pots, but I haven't managed to live through Stage 3 yet... I just keep getting feared into the flames.  :blush:

It was a great run, though... down to the wire, but it's great to get back into the swing of things after the hiatus, and it's good to see that we haven't lost our polish in the meantime. ;)
[right][snapback]91833[/snapback][/right]
My strategy for surviving Phase III;

A] I put on all my fire resistance and +sta gear sacrificing my +agi and +%crit. The old adage of your "DPS is zero if you are dead" thing. I have about 3400 health and 30-40 fire resistance unbuffed.

B] Insure I'm at full health at the end of Phase II, even if that means breaking off my attack temporarily to FD and munch on a mana biscuit, or use a bandage.

C] Same as Mirajj near the end of Phase II I find a section of wall (midway between Onyxia swipe range and the whelp pit) far from lava cracks. The ground shakes before she fears, so when I see the rumbling I turn around and run into the wall. Sometimes I might run across a lava crack, but usually I can bandage it up quick or I get a renew or rejuv from our awesome healers :-)

D] I don't rely on them anymore, but the first few Onyxia runs before I had better gear I used 1 or 2 Greater Fire Resistance pots. I have a standing offer for any avarice, if you send me just the Elemental Fire portion, I will supply you with the potion. During Phase II it will mitigate most of a fire ball, and during Phase III it will help you survive one crack event.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Oct 13 2005, 11:35 AM Wrote:My strategy for surviving Phase III;

A]  I put on all my fire resistance and +sta gear sacrificing my +agi and +%crit.  The old adage of your "DPS is zero if you are dead" thing.  I have about 3400 health and 30-40 fire resistance unbuffed.
[right][snapback]91945[/snapback][/right]
I guess I'm not that far off, then... I'm at 61 fire resist in my typical Onyxia gear, and can get to 79 by using my UBRS key instead of my Mason's ring, and my Ward of the Elements instead of my Blackhand's. And I think my Sta is probably at around that level as well. (edited, forgot Onyxia key in my calcs)

Sadly, I guess the only thing I can do is to get more skilled at the encounter. :P Next time, I'll be watching my placement much more carefully, and will try the turnaround that you and Mirajj have suggested.
martini,Oct 12 2005, 01:00 PM Wrote:I wasn't either... how much fire resist do those people who consistently live through Stage 3 without healing (hunters, etc.) have?
When I'm not MT'ing Onyxia I wear 224 unbuffed FR (as opposed to 275 unbuffed vs. Rag), has helped my unhealed survivability a bit. ;)

One "I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner" things I started doing as a warrior is DPS'ing in zerker stance (of all things) and popping Zerker rage a split second after the fear. Slow enough to get the aggro wipe, but fast enough to avoid eating lava. Even as MT I'm popping zerker rage every time it's up pre-emptively since the buff currently sticks when you return to protection stance.

Oh, and congratulations Avarice on downing Onyxia with only two priests on a raid! Horde or alliance, that fact alone is impressive. How has the transition to the new loot system gone?

As far as fear ward/ mithril insignia, etc. I was wishing i had the mithril insignia last week when it took us a couple times to get the 2->3 transition down with a engineering/mining troll (what idiot wouldn't choose undead for their warrior? :whistling: ) tanking. We had enough available healing that recklessness upon landing (half the insignia's duration with an extra upside of more crits and a downside of more damage taken) would have been viable if I hadn't used shield wall on an earlier attempt and didn't have the 30 minute timer available. Just got lucky with a guess at when to hit zerker rage before the first fear and got it done without ward, trinket, or 30 minute ability.

I hope that now that you've proven to yourselves that you can handle onyxia under non-ideal class mix circumstances, you don't avoid using the tools available to you (when available) out of pure massochism. :P
Olon97,Oct 16 2005, 05:05 AM Wrote:How has the transition to the new loot system gone?[right][snapback]92287[/snapback][/right]

Going smooth so far, from what I see. It definately caused a rebalancing in some classes, where people got two quick items or so. Of course, we also have 14 of 21 warriors negative with 5 of the top 8 warriors likely to never play with us again. Guess that's what happens when you get 5 pieces of Might in one night.
Olon97,Oct 16 2005, 05:05 AM Wrote:When I'm not MT'ing Onyxia I wear 224 unbuffed FR (as opposed to 275 unbuffed vs. Rag), has helped my unhealed survivability a bit. ;)
[right][snapback]92287[/snapback][/right]
Heh, well I don't have that kind of FR available to me right now as a hunter. :P But I think I'll definitely be loading up on some more on our next attempt. I also have 2 FR pots in the bank that I keep forgetting to bring along on attempts. And I'm pondering requesting some Black Dragonscale Boot materials from the bank... :)