D1 Gateway
Hello boys and girls,
There are some rumors about Blizzard will not rent Telia's server to host D1 and SC (and this is kinda strange) games. Also, they plan to modify servers to not let Drtl clients in. In short - Drtl@Europe will be dead, it will be not possible to play there anymore. Maybe it will happen with Us.West and East, I don't know. Anyway, I came here to ask you - may it be true?
In spite of their age, both Diablo and Starcraft are still pretty widely available in retail stores. With that in mind, I think it is extremely unlikely that they would cut off b.net access to either game, especially when these games require so little to run on b.net compared to D2 (in the case of Diablo, b.net is hardly more than an IRC channel). Maybe they would restrict the gateways, but I don't see any reason for doing that either.

Then again, I didn't see any reason the last time they screwed b.net over by restricting private channels.
R'lyeh,Oct 11 2005, 12:3 Wrote:Hello boys and girls,
There are some rumors about Blizzard will not rent Telia's server to host D1 and SC (and this is kinda strange) games. Also, they plan to modify servers to not let Drtl clients in. In short - Drtl@Europe will be dead, it will be not possible to play there anymore. Maybe it will happen with Us.West and East, I don't know. Anyway, I came here to ask you - may it be true?
[right][snapback]91589[/snapback][/right]

As Nystul pointed out, battle.net is little more than a chat service for Diablo. So if even one BNCS stays up and continues to allow Diablo connections, all Diablo players will still be able to play online. Europeans will have somewhat higher server latency if they are forced to connect to U.S. West, but it won't affect in-game performance.

Starcraft is similar -- it's very slightly more stressful on the servers since you have a record and the cdkey validation, but again all the real load is on the client, so you can play online fine as long as there's at least one BNCS up.