opera
So I boot my version of opera today for my normal browsing and it says it needs updating. I shrug and say sure, lets go see whats new. Turns out that the new version no longer has ads in it. Here is the press release for ya. Its kind of strange to be running opera without ads, but I like it. Just thought people would like to know. : )
Some of us got a taste of banner free browsing with the earlier "free reg code" offer, it's nice to see that everyone gets this opportunity now.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
That's great!

Just wondering, how would they support themselves though?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Sep 22 2005, 04:58 PM Wrote:That's great!

Just wondering,&nbsp; how would they support themselves though?
[right][snapback]89950[/snapback][/right]

I don't really know, but my best guess is that the money they have made from the ads and such up till now has let them expand into other areas like browsing on small media devices. So maybe they can now charge companies for the use of their browser on those devices and so make profit in that fashion. This is all purely guesswork on my part, but its the best theory I can come up with at the moment.
swirly,Sep 22 2005, 11:38 PM Wrote:I don't really know, but my best guess is that the money they have made from the ads and such up till now has let them expand into other areas like browsing on small media devices.&nbsp; So maybe they can now charge companies for the use of their browser on those devices and so make profit in that fashion.&nbsp; This is all purely guesswork on my part, but its the best theory I can come up with at the moment.
[right][snapback]89970[/snapback][/right]
Everyone should just copy Google. They're geniuses there. You dont ever notice the ads... but they are there!

Of course, the best part about Google is their nifty way to correct your searches and/or statements. Ie... Paris Hilton isnt a whore => Did you mean Paris Hilton is a whore?
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
swirly,Sep 23 2005, 04:38 AM Wrote:I don't really know, but my best guess is that the money they have made from the ads and such up till now has let them expand into other areas like browsing on small media devices.&nbsp; So maybe they can now charge companies for the use of their browser on those devices and so make profit in that fashion.&nbsp; This is all purely guesswork on my part, but its the best theory I can come up with at the moment.
[right][snapback]89970[/snapback][/right]
Desktop sales were never Opera's main source of income :)

They make most of their money from partnerships on the mobile platform, as well as the sale of Opera for mobile devices. On the desktop, most of their income comes from partnerships with search engines, such as Google. Every time you do a Google search from Opera's built-in search bar or through the "g <subject>" shortcut in the address bar, Google is happy with Opera.
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
Leshy,Oct 6 2005, 06:53 PM Wrote:Desktop sales were never Opera's main source of income :)

They make most of their money from partnerships on the mobile platform, as well as the sale of Opera for mobile devices. On the desktop, most of their income comes from partnerships with search engines, such as Google. Every time you do a Google search from Opera's built-in search bar or through the "g <subject>" shortcut in the address bar, Google is happy with Opera.
[right][snapback]91283[/snapback][/right]

Great to see you again, even if, unlike RL, "Pizza is not served at the Opera house!" :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 7 2005, 02:11 AM Wrote:Great to see you again, even if, unlike RL, "Pizza is not served at the Opera house!"&nbsp; :D
[right][snapback]91284[/snapback][/right]
:D

Thanks, I still lurk this forum occasionally ;)
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net