Best place to find runes?
Only place I know of is from the countess in the black marsh. She drops runes 95% of the time you kill her. Sure everyone knows about this? That's how I've been building my runes, been killing the countess over and over in hell difficulty. Seems she doesn't drop them as often as in nightmare, but when she does drop they're Thul's are better most of the time. Trying to get a BOD, got the sword but not the runes. Highest runes I have are 2 Ko's.

Other than that, is there anywhere else in the game where runes will be dropped consitently like her?
The Hellforge quest will give you a rune when you destroy Mephisto's Soulstone. The Barbarian Rescue quest will give ral ort tal when completed. Both of those can only be done once per difficulty though.

As far as finding runes generally goes, I'll just quote KS at the Amazon Basin.

KS Wrote:Finding EL-Eth:
If you are just starting out, run the Countess in Normal. Otherwise, just pick them up when running the Countess in Nightmare or Hell.

Finding Tal - Ort:
Pick them up while running the Countess in NM or Hell. And don't forget Q2 Act 5.

Finding Amn - Io:
Run the Countess in NM or Hell. Cube up runes to your taste.

Finding Lum - Um:
Run the Countess in Hell. You will find them on the way as well. Cube up what you need. Making characters to rush to the Hellforge in NM/Hell will also get guaranteed returns.

Finding Mal-Vex:
Rushing characters to the Hell Hellforge will be your surest way of harvesting these. (Cube Guls into Vex) You might get some pleasant surprises running Hell Countess while harrassing her for lower runes, but don't count on it. Play in Hell anywhere and you will see something nice once in a while. Maybe.

Finding high runes:
Play later in Hell and cross your fingers because many folks will play many many games and never see anything above an Um drop.
KS Wrote:Finding EL-Eth:
If you are just starting out, run the Countess in Normal. Otherwise, just pick them up when running the Countess in Nightmare or Hell.

Finding Tal - Ort:
Pick them up while running the Countess in NM or Hell. And don't forget Q2 Act 5.

[right][snapback]91365[/snapback][/right]
I have found runes up to Ort when killing Normal difficulty countress...
Here is a guide how to get runewords...
Urlik's_RFG
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that
counts."
- Winston Churchill
Chaostheory,Oct 7 2005, 10:57 PM Wrote:I have found runes up to Ort when killing Normal difficulty countress...
Here is a guide how to get runewords...
Urlik's_RFG
[right][snapback]91389[/snapback][/right]

The highest the Countess can drop in normal is Ral.
adeyke,Oct 8 2005, 01:52 PM Wrote:The highest the Countess can drop in normal is Ral.
[right][snapback]91396[/snapback][/right]
hmm... i thought i have found Ort too, maybe there was somekind of mod on when i found it...

Edit: Yep, I must have been using "diablo classic style" -mod when i found Ort...

Ral, Ort, whatever...
counts."
- Winston Churchill
I find that the best way to get runes is to trade for them, if you're into that sort of thing.
I have a few questions about finding runes too...
The calculator i post, maybe i did not read it well enough, cause i did not find this single thing from it... (the calculator is too complicated :blush: )
How high runes can you find in normal difficulty in sparkly chests at ACT5?

Edit: You see, i have been running to one sparkly chest so many times that i lost the count... And the highest rune so far has been Tal
counts."
- Winston Churchill
qwiksilvertrav,Oct 7 2005, 09:05 PM Wrote:Only place I know of is from the countess in the black marsh. She drops runes 95% of the time you kill her. Sure everyone knows about this? That's how I've been building my runes, been killing the countess over and over in hell difficulty. Seems she doesn't drop them as often as in nightmare, but when she does drop they're Thul's are better most of the time. Trying to get a BOD, got the sword but not the runes. Highest runes I have are 2 Ko's.

Other than that, is there anywhere else in the game where runes will be dropped consitently like her?
[right][snapback]91359[/snapback][/right]
found an um in nm chaos sanctuary and after that never found one there again.So its pure luck.i must be very lucky that time
[Image: gemsign19ya.jpg]
Ambassador-At-Mini,Oct 11 2005 Wrote:found an um in nm chaos sanctuary and after that never found one there again.So its pure luck.i must be very lucky that time
[right][snapback]91672[/snapback][/right]

When the ladder reset recently, I started a zealot after not playing for at least a year and got an Um my first time out in Act1/Hell on the way to Den of Evil. A couple of days later, first time out in Act3 next to the 1st WP, I found an Ist in a chest. I was happy for 5 min. A couple of days later I beat Baal.... and have not touched D2 since. Moral of the story..... it's a 5 yo game and the Barb is unplayable... so who cares.

-A
Iv found Killing Nithalak and his minions has been a pretty good place if gone threw there a couple times and found an IST and a PUL rune but thats just my opionon
Izual in normal dropped a Sol last night for me. I was with 3 other folks. I see runes drop from him regularly - not always but often.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Ashock,Oct 11 2005, 05:17 PM Wrote:A couple of days later I beat Baal.... and have not touched D2 since. Moral of the story..... it's a 5 yo game and the Barb is unplayable... so who cares.
-A
[right][snapback]91733[/snapback][/right]
Not bitter, are we? :lol:

Barb isn't unplayable, however, try a Singer.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete