Used Cars
We're thinking of buying a used car which has had its engine replaced. Is that a bad thing? I presume the answer is it depends. On what? Can a mechanic determine all these things? Are there things I should ask about? Since I know nothing about cars if any term sounds even half technical please elaborate if you have the patience - though I'm happy to learn the jargon.
Quote:We're thinking of buying a used car which has had its engine replaced. Is that a bad thing? I presume the answer is it depends. On what? Can a mechanic determine all these things? Are there things I should ask about? Since I know nothing about cars if any term sounds even half technical please elaborate if you have the patience - though I'm happy to learn the jargon.
When I was younger and poorer, I used to shop for car bodies and engines separately then have my mechanic friends marry my purchases. After collisions where my body was totaled, I'd move my good engine into a better body, and if my engine or transmission blew I'd go find a replacement. This was easier to do in times past, as there were fewer linkages between the body and the engine. The only prerequisite was that you had compatible engines and bodies.

Depending on the skill of the mechanic, you may have no issues. Before buying any car that is out of warranty, I would take it to a mechanic who is on your side and have them spend an hour or two going over it. If you are convinced it is a good purchase, then it is better to spend $200 to either confirm your gut, or get to a "No" decision, than spend a few thousand and end up with a lemon.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

Quote:We're thinking of buying a used car which has had its engine replaced. Is that a bad thing? I presume the answer is it depends. On what?
You're right, it depends. Was the replacement engine a rebuilt engine or just a used engine pulled from a junk yard? If the replacement was rebuilt, was it done by someone who knew what he was doing or was it rebuilt by a 'shade tree mechanic'?

Quote:Can a mechanic determine all these things?
There can be all sorts of hidden problems that no one would find until something breaks. That said, I'll second kandrathe. A mechanic can find a lot of potential problems and systems that will need maintenance in the near future. So, be sure to have the whole car checked out, not just the engine.

Good luck.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:So, be sure to have the whole car checked out, not just the engine.
I usually don't watch the show "Flip this house", but I flipped by it the other day. A young couple had bought a fix'r up'r and omitted the $400 full home inspection, and opted only for the cheaper pest inspection. The home ended up to be riddled with dry rot everywhere, and they ended up spending an unplanned $15,000 for repairs, including replacing major joists. They had hoped for a $60K profit, but after 2 months of work they just broke even and lost their sweat equity.

Anyway, the moral of the story, which you full well know, is that if you are not the expert, then it is well worth hiring an expert to give things a once over, or I've seen sellers desperate enough to sign a limited warranty on the home for a short period of time they will arrange to fix anything that is amiss. Many states have laws which require full disclosure of any known defects, but that is pretty hard to prove if you don't find it for awhile.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Having exactly zero experience with used cars or engine replacements, all I can point you to is something a little closer to my world.

Let's just say the economics in the used car business looks ugly. ;)

-Jester
Quote:Let's just say the economics in the used car business looks ugly. ;)
I think in todays market, there is the higher possibility of being able to buy a used car that the seller is forced to sell due to economics. But, obviously the one with a rebuilt engine falls into the "probably a lemon" category. Although, all the other sellers of cars (off-lease) and new are also forced to bottom scrape for buyers as well. It's times like these where *like new* used cars with less than 10K miles on them fill up vast expanses of unoccupied desert parking lots, with their tires going flat waiting for demand to spark up.