Sensible and tasty chicken recipes
Yesterday, as I was sitting on my Schwinn during a spinning session at
the local gym wrestling the knots in my stomach from having polished off 6 tacos
15 minutes before heading out, I was thinking "there has to be an easier way
of sating this hunger". I'm trying to eat healthy (yet tasty) food as often as I can,
with the occasional burger-morale booster once every other fortnight.

With a slight cringe in my stomach I decided that I would stop eating full dinners
before going to the gym and rather fix me up a light lunch-like meal to keep the
metabolism going steady. I realised that I could so something fun with chicken
filléts and salads. With the appropriate marinade, fried chicken with a side salad
might actually be rather tasty (and not too heavy) for a pre-work out meal.

I quickly came to the realisation that I know very few recipes for marinating
chicken fillets. Cue The Lurker Lounge and its gourmet-like patrons! (Da-dadda-da!)

I suppose I could scavenge the web looking for recipes for marinades, but I
thought I'd ask you for some tried-and-tested options. I'm looking for something
that's tasty, yet not terribly unhealthy (no suger-marinated chicken filléts in other
words). Also, if it doesn't have tons of garlic in it, that's also a plus.

Any ideas?

Just to get the ball rolling, I have included the one and only marinade I know of.
(Courtesy of my brother)

Chicken marinade (for filléts)
* 2 tablespoon of olive oil
* the juice of 2 oranges
* 3 tablespoons of curry
* 1/2 tablespoon of ceyenne pepper
* Some salt and pepper
* 1-2 tablespoons of sugar
* 1 finely chopped chili.

It gives the chicken a nice juicy hot flavour.

Let the cookery commence!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I'm lazy, I get various kinds of 15 minute maridades from the supermarket and put some frozen chicken in a pan with some of it (I don't even marinade). Get it going on medium heat, but turn it to Low or simmer once it gets there and put a lid on it. turn it over in about 15 mintues, then cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the marinade gets sticky and you're done. The chicken is nice and tender, but the marinade is mostly on the outside.

This usually goes well with some kind of boxed rice thing from the store.

One of my favorite combinations is a lousiana pepper marinade with Red Beans and Rice. Lastnight we did a mustard teriyaki sauce with a long grain & wild rice side dish.

Pretty healthy with the exception of the salt that all these store bought things inevitably have in them... and very easy. You can get the rice and chicken going, set the timer and simply walk away for a while.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
I was hoping this thread would see more action than it had as I love to try new recipes. Then I realized I'm not contributing either.

So I'll offer up one of my favorites. It's really easy and fast, and it's nearly impossible to screw up if you like to experiment.

4 large chicken breasts (thawed)

Baste with:

2 tbs oil (you pick, different oils can change the flavor for some variety)
1 tbs mustard (again I've tried lots of different types and they're all different but good)
1 tbs lemon juice (I've also used lime)
1 1/2 tbs lemon pepper
1 tsp oregano (or basil if you prefer)
dash of hot red pepper to taste

Cook in any way you want. My favorite way is to bake it (covered). The juice (part baste and part natural chicken) that is left over is really good mixed with rice, so I cook up a batch of rice and some vegetables to eat with it. I spoon the juice onto the rice and it's very good. It's a little spicy (and could be revved up considerably if you like that).

It's not a marinade (just a baste) so you don't have to remember to marinate.

My all-time favorite chicken dish is not particularly easy and definitely not fast, but I'll include that too just for grins.

Chicken breast
Red potatoes
Cheese (my favorite is Monterey Jack for this)
Italian seasonings
Garlic
Chicken broth (I actually just use water and chicken bouillion cubes as it's cheaper but the canned chicken broth you can buy works great)

Chop the potatoes into small pieces. In a skillet, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Put the potatoes in and boil until the potatoes are cooked (but not mush -- this takes some practice to get right). Drain.

Separately, cube the chicken into 1" squares or so. Fry with a bit of oil (I use a wok) and spice heavily (I like lots of garlic).

Layer the cooked potatoes on the bottom of a flat casserole dish. Put an even layer of the cooked chicken over that. Grate the cheese and spread evenly on top. Bake just long enough to melt the cheese and enjoy.

The trick to this dish is cooking red potatoes in chicken broth. It's really tasty. Pretty labor intensive and uses a lot of dishes. This can keep me busy cooking for nearly an hour.
You might want to skip the real food till after your work out.

Unless you are steadily excercising for a unussally long period(hours) you wont be able to make use of that food energy until you are done excercising.

A better idea is to eat over an hour before you go to the gym or right afterwards. Eating afterwards doesnt work for everyone though so a small snack with some carbs might be needed right before or during your work out.

But your new diet looks like a good idea.
Less saturated fat/more fiber/less simple carbs is always a good idea.

As for ricipes - I ussually just buy frozen bags of stirfry and flavor with wine and soy sauce then mix in fish, lean beaf or chicken.
[ Wrote:Angel,Oct 5 2005, 06:10 AM]

I quickly came to the realisation that I know very few recipes for marinating
chicken fillets. Cue The Lurker Lounge and its gourmet-like patrons! (Da-dadda-da!)

IIt gives the chicken a nice juicy hot flavour.

Let the cookery commence!
[right][snapback]91110[/snapback][/right]

A marinade I use pre stir fry, and pre George Foreman Grill for making chicken sandwiches . . .

Four Chicken Breasts (remove obvious globs of fat)

In a bowl, combine

2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 cup dry white win or white cooking wine
1/4 cup distilled vinegar
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
Zest from one lemon or lime (Either use a fine grater or a "zester" to get the skin of the lime)
1 TSP Basil
1/2 TSP Salt
1 TSP Ground Pepper (If you don't have a pepper mill, shame on you! :wacko: )
1/2 TSP Taragon

Combine ingredients, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. (Or nuke at med heat for 3 minutes in microwave.) Let stand for 10 minutes. Put chicken breasts in bowl or small square baking dish, and cover with marinade over them. Cover bowl, and put in fridge at least an hour before cooking. This is a mildly sweet marinade without sugar, due to the taragon.

For sandwiches, grill chicken the usual amount. For insertion into a wrap or large tortilla, grill/cook the chicken, then chop into 3/4 inch cubes. For stir fry, chop into the sized chicken hunks or strips you prefer for stirfry.

If using for stir fry, you can put the remaining marinade into the Wok, boil down as appropriate, I find it adds a nice flavor to carrots, celery, peppers and mushrooms.

Enjoy.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I would recommend not eating before 4 of the following and in order of importance:

1) Sex

2) Sleeping

3) Exercise (does not include walking)

4) Swimming

-A
Ashock,Oct 24 2005, 12:44 PM Wrote:I would recommend not eating before 4 of the following and in order of importance:

1) Sex

[right][snapback]93007[/snapback][/right]

Disagree with that one. Sometimes, eating -- FOOD, getchermindoutofthegutter -- before item 1 awakens the senses. Depends on mood, atmosphere, etc.

A little wine, a few grapes, a loaf of bread, Brie . . . though I will admit that I have not heard of cabbage, nor brocoli, as having aphrodasiac properties. :wacko:

PS: Didn't you see 9-1/2 weeks? ;) And then there is chocolate . . .

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
You could also just make plain chicken and find some good sauce. I like plain chicken with italian dressing, but you can probably find something else. You could also mix the chicken in the salad if it's small enough.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Occhidiangela,Oct 24 2005, 01:53 PM Wrote:Disagree with that one.  Sometimes, eating -- FOOD, getchermindoutofthegutter -- before item 1 awakens the senses.  Depends on mood, atmosphere, etc. 

A little wine, a few grapes, a loaf of bread, Brie . . . though I will admit that I have not heard of cabbage, nor brocoli, as having aphrodasiac properties.  :wacko: 

PS:  Didn't you see 9-1/2 weeks?  ;)  And then there is chocolate . . .

Occhi
[right][snapback]93020[/snapback][/right]

No, no, no. I guess I was not clear. A small bit of food and/or wine is cool. A full meal is not :)

-A
Ashock,Oct 24 2005, 04:08 PM Wrote:No, no, no. I guess I was not clear. A small bit of food and/or wine is cool. A full meal is not  :)
-A
[right][snapback]93027[/snapback][/right]

Ah, a matter of degree. Of course. :)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Take one chicken breast. Soak it in a little diced rosemary and olive oil.

Butterfly it. Stuff cavity with diced baby bella mushrooms, cashews, and cubes of fontina cheese.

Slap it on a searing hot grill.

Serve with a nice marina sauce over noodles with a side of garlic cheese bread.

Yum.

I haven't had chicken in a long time actually. I am not sure why, but I seemed to have stopped eating meat as of late.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
I often enjoy just a grilled plain chicken breast and a baked potato. The baked potato gets sour cream and chives, but the chicken gets nothing but the juices that comes out of it when you cut it. It's healthy and tasty.
Doc,Oct 25 2005, 12:54 PM Wrote:Take one chicken breast. Soak it in a little diced rosemary and olive oil.

Butterfly it. Stuff cavity with diced baby bella mushrooms, cashews, and cubes of fontina cheese.

Slap it on a searing hot grill.

Serve with a nice marina sauce over noodles with a side of garlic cheese bread.
[right][snapback]93043[/snapback][/right]
Must
Visit
Doc
!

I feel hungry now, and I've just had my evening cereal :P

--Edit-- forgot to pitch in with a recipe

Chicken breast (bone in)
Score the flesh deeply then sprinkle with citrus (lemonme/orange (OR, not AND))
Cover heavily in plain (or better rock) salt
add any other herbs / spices preferred
Air roast ontil skin is crispy, flesh is white, and fluid when cut is clear.

Make sure you get rid of the excess salt before serving & eating (the salt is there to help with getting a crispy skin, less for flavour... draws moisture away from the skin during cooking)

Not sure how this racks up on the health scale though :P
Buy/Make some Itallian Vingerate Dressing,

Marinate some boneless chicken breast fillets using the dressing for 8-12 hours,
grill the chicken. Great for salads/sandwiches.

If your looking at baking a whole chicken perhaps try looking at a nice brine recipie to soak the bird in overnight. (I'm going to try soaking a turkey in brine for thanksgiving, I can't wait.)
This works better with chicken thighs, but chicken breast works too for the more healthy option.

3 parts olive oil
2 parts balsamic vinegar
spoonful minced garlic
a little bit of sage
salt/pepper to taste

Marinade 10-15 min then cook in the remaining marinade in a pan on medium heat, keeping the chicken moving around in the pan to cook evenly. Sorry about the vague amounts, I was taught this directly so I've never seen the "recipe".
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Orange Chicken... OMG!

3 or 4 cloves of garlic, crushed.
1 cup mango pulp.
2 tablespoons of curry powder. Good stuff please. Make your own for best results.
1/2 cup pure real orange juice. Not concentrate. Squeeze it from actual oranges.
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar. The real stuff. Braggs.
1 cup dried shredded coconut.
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice.
2 to 4 pasted orange habenaro peppers. Whole. Seeds and all ground down in to a paste.
2 tablespoons whatever fine blend of chili powder you have.
Dash of Paprika.
Some honey.
Chicken breasts, cubed, skinless and boneless. About a pound.
1 cup of sesame seeds.

In a big wok or cast iron pan, saute chicken and garlic in some sesame oil and olive oil. Sear the chicken. You want to almost burn it just a little bit. Almost... But not quite.

Lower heat.

Add all of your ingredients except for the sesame seeds. Cover and let it simmer for a while. It will be done when chicken has fallen apart in to chunks and coconut is no longer dried out, but spongy.

Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds.

Not for pussies. In case you haven't figured it out, this stuff is HOT. And it's very very orange looking. In fact, many people (My self included) have noticed that it is orange coming out some times.

And speaking of it exiting, it's just as hot coming out as it is going in... For those of you with out cast iron bung holes.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."