PvP, Honor, Faction and BGs
oldmandennis,Oct 8 2005, 07:47 PM Wrote:Roland -

My impression of Planetside is that it was very (maybe completly) PvP oriented.  Those ideas sound like fun, but it also sounds like a different game then this one.  There are a whole lot of WoW players who wouldn't take kindly to Orgrimmar being under constant siege.

First of all, yes, Planetside is completely PvP oriented. Second of all, did you even read my post? I stated SPECIFICALLY that BATTLEGROUNDS combat was the focus for the ideas I spoke of, but that their effects would carry over for the whole faction across the server. Never once did I mention towns, nor any other part of the game outside of Battlegrounds, being the focal point for combat.

Quote:I think I've heard of a game with some of those ideas coming out soon based on a Roman theme, I can't recall the name.

It was canceled, but yes, there was a PvP game coming out based on the idea of Rome never falling. It was being done by Mythic, creators of DAoC, but it was scrapped in July / August of this year.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
hahaha, thought I was talkin too much, but I guess it wasn't enough.

last comes first

Quote:It was canceled, but yes, there was a PvP game coming out based on the idea of Rome never falling. It was being done by Mythic, creators of DAoC, but it was scrapped in July / August of this year.

Too bad, that sounded like somethin that might shake me loose from WOW.

Roland,Oct 8 2005, 06:53 PM Wrote:Second of all, did you even read my post? I stated SPECIFICALLY that BATTLEGROUNDS combat was the focus for the ideas I spoke of, but that their effects would carry over for the whole faction across the server.
[right][snapback]91421[/snapback][/right]

Sorry I read it, but since you admittedly haven't been in BG's I'll expand on why your ideas are not practical.

There are about 10,000 toons on a typical server. Unfortunatly that works out to much less then 100 lvl 60 people per faction interested in PVP per night, in general.

In general, AV is NOT up, unless they declare a "Holiday", which crimps the other BGs. This weekend is the WSG holiday... I still haven't seen one up. While they can tweak the relative honor of each BG to make them more viable. But still the trend is going to be to add more BGs, and the only way to keep them up is too go cross server.

Point being, there just aren't enough people on any given server to support fighting in 3 BG's, much less the 5-7 there will eventually be for faction v faction fighting to give bonuses to the entire game.