Noob needing some pointers
Okay guys. I played diablo 2 when it first came out as a paladin and of course the expansion didn't exist at that point. I beat the game but it's been a while.

Today me and a few buddies picked up our copy, mine was at walmart. I got the battlechest edition and have the expansion.

It's already installed and I started up my first character: A sorceress by the name of Valinda with the account name Caliston (who is my first warrior in Diablo 1)

People seem pretty nice there, one didn't believe I was a noob. People are telling me all different things. Like pick one element and others saying lightening and ice. Or fire and ice, and another will scream "Fire sucks in hell you idiot don't tell him that!" And someone else will say "just run your butt off if your attacked by a fire immune guy and put everything in fire". So it's been interesting.
Someone told me to put a point in breast implants to. I couldn't find that skill. :wacko:

Some things seem to work the same, the friends list. People were nice and invited me into the later areas of act I and offered me some of the dropped goodies, some were uniques like dragon shell or something. It was a spear.

I'm still struggling though, to figure out all these new things they are so advanced coming straight off of Diablo 1, yet I cannot help to be so intrigued and interested yet so overwhelmed. I decieded it may be best to go solo for a few days or with a friend or two till I get myself properly adjusted to this new atmopshere. And read as much as I can in this strategy book and manual and ask questions when I can.

1. If I die and have to leave for a whatever reason does my body follow me into the next game?

2. I consider myself a good player, at least in Diablo 1, and should be good hear given proper time. So if I want to develope a good character where should I invest my points? What do I avoid putting too many points into?

I will try and think of more questions

thanks

First of all, best advice I can give you is to play solo through the game at least once into hell before listening to anyone's advice on what does or does not "suck." Most people who give advice on battle.net have never built a character without rushing straight to baal runs - if you actually want to play the game, it's best to discover what works for yourself.

Once you've got your feet wet a bit more, and are looking at building hell-worthy characters, take a look at some of the strategy guides found on Diabloii.net or the Amazon Basin. Many of them are terrible, or basically tell you that you require the absolute best items in order to build your characters, but there are a few real gems out there. Also, even the worst guides sometimes have good little tidbits in them. The exception to that rule is the strategy guide that came with your battle chest. That thing is horrendously inaccurate (and was even when it was written) and offers basically no useful advice. Use it as a coaster.

Some general tips for a sorceress, to get you started:

- Going with only one element will make you very strong through much of the game, but virtually helpless when fighting monsters immune to your chosen attack. If you have no allies in the game with you, that can mean your only options are to skip all of those immune oponents or let your merc handle them - which can often be tedious, difficult or suicidal

- On the other hand, going for all three elements typically leaves you too weak to effectively combat monster regeneration rates, particularly in hell. I only recommend playing a tri-elemental sorc if you don't care about getting very far in hell or have a pretty solid understanding of the skills you end up taking.

- The easiest sorc (IMHO) to play in hell is a dual-element sorc - take any two elements, pick a main attack from those two trees and max them out. Cold-fire is probably the most common here, though my last hell character was a lightning-hydra sorc who I enjoyed immensely.

- Whatever skills you primarily use, a few skills are excellent and deserve at least one point for most sorcs: static field, cold armor, telelport/telekenesis, warmth, frost nova. YMMV on these skills, but they're all fairly safe bets.

Hope that helps. Remember, best way to gain knowledge of this game is still to play it. A wide variety of skills and builds are very fun and effective while considered "useless" by the majority of players on battle.net. Plus, even if your character ends up sucking big time in nightmare or hell, you get to have fun finding that out for yourself :P .

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
thanks, I think I will start off with a lightening/ice Sorc. And just see how it goes. I am new and these are just experiental characters, I shall treat them that way till I learn the game and make more serious characters suited to my style of play as I learn it.
I'm more of a warrior, I think I will enjoy paladin the most but we'll see. I wanted sorc to be a little different but I will experiment with them all.
thanks for tips. :)

gekko,Oct 5 2005, 12:50 AM Wrote:First of all, best advice I can give you is to play solo through the game at least once into hell before listening to anyone's advice on what does or does not "suck."  Most people who give advice on battle.net have never built a character without rushing straight to baal runs - if you actually want to play the game, it's best to discover what works for yourself.

Once you've got your feet wet a bit more, and are looking at building hell-worthy characters, take a look at some of the strategy guides found on Diabloii.net or the Amazon Basin.  Many of them are terrible, or basically tell you that you require the absolute best items in order to build your characters, but there are a few real gems out there.  Also, even the worst guides sometimes have good little tidbits in them.  The exception to that rule is the strategy guide that came with your battle chest.  That thing is horrendously inaccurate (and was even when it was written) and offers basically no useful advice.  Use it as a coaster.

Some general tips for a sorceress, to get you started:

- Going with only one element will make you very strong through much of the game, but virtually helpless when fighting monsters immune to your chosen attack.  If you have no allies in the game with you, that can mean your only options are to skip all of those immune oponents or let your merc handle them - which can often be tedious, difficult or suicidal

- On the other hand, going for all three elements typically leaves you too weak to effectively combat monster regeneration rates, particularly in hell.  I only recommend playing a tri-elemental sorc if you don't care about getting very far in hell or have a pretty solid understanding of the skills you end up taking.

- The easiest sorc (IMHO) to play in hell is a dual-element sorc - take any two elements, pick a main attack from those two trees and max them out.  Cold-fire is probably the most common here, though my last hell character was a lightning-hydra sorc who I enjoyed immensely.

- Whatever skills you primarily use, a few skills are excellent and deserve at least one point for most sorcs: static field, cold armor, telelport/telekenesis, warmth, frost nova.  YMMV on these skills, but they're all fairly safe bets.

Hope that helps.  Remember, best way to gain knowledge of this game is still to play it.  A wide variety of skills and builds are very fun and effective while considered "useless" by the majority of players on battle.net.  Plus, even if your character ends up sucking big time in nightmare or hell, you get to have fun finding that out for yourself  :P .

gekko
[right][snapback]91066[/snapback][/right]
I am currently playing a Poison Nova/Explosion necro, which is very fun. The only problem with him in undead who are resistant to poison, which is something I didn't take into account when planning my character. As you play through the game, don't be surprised if your planned skill set changes slightly as you find what works well with what skills etc.

My other character is a level 20 paladin who is based around Vengeance and Conviction, which once I get Conviction and more mana and a weapon with mana leech should be a fun combination. So far things are going well, but I haven't made it out of normal yet, hopefully I will get to 30 before that.

Good luck and have fun!
WWBBD?
I agree with gekko, you should build your characters yourself...
There are actually no "crappy" skills in the whole game, you just have to learn to use all of them. I, for instance, play charbuilds like melee sorc, mage barbarian, curse only necro who does not kill anything in the game himself ect.

Many quides provide you chars that kill faster than you could ever imagine, however, builds you make yourself without any assistance are much more fun! :lol:
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that
counts."
- Winston Churchill
Noob needing some pointers? Gah, you're no noob! There's a difference between noob and newb, you're just new and you politely ask for help. Noobs on the other hand would spam and demand help and "free itamzz"

Anyway, I also think you should try out characters yourself. One of the most fun parts of Diablo II is the loads of differen't builds you can make! It's really fun to play a build wich isn't a so called "cookie-cutter" People will sometimes laugh at you for making such underpowered characters... just laugh back, you're the one who's having fun!
Good luck with all you're characters, I'm sure you'll make some ncie and fun to play builds! Tell us about you're progress with the sorc you told us about every now and then, we're (well, at least I am.. :P ) wondering how you're doing with her!
Knijnknelis,Dec 19 2005, 03:44 PM Wrote:Noob needing some pointers? Gah, you're no noob! There's a difference between noob and newb, you're just new and you politely ask for help. Noobs on the other hand would spam and demand help and "free itamzz"

Anyway, I also think you should try out characters yourself. One of the most fun parts of Diablo II is the loads of differen't builds you can make! It's really fun to play a build wich isn't a so called "cookie-cutter" People will sometimes laugh at you for making such underpowered characters... just laugh back, you're the one who's having fun!
Good luck with all you're characters, I'm sure you'll make some ncie and fun to play builds! Tell us about you're progress with the sorc you told us about every now and then, we're (well, at least I am..  :P ) wondering how you're doing with her!
[right][snapback]97538[/snapback][/right]

I think my brain just exploded. There is a distinction between 'noob' and 'newb'? I thought the only difference was each was a horrible butchering of the English Language.

:wacko:

Cheers,

Munk