Life, thus far
Doc,Oct 6 2005, 02:46 AM Wrote:You are doing fine. The pressure will wear you down and refine you. You will either find that you, like a piece of coal compressed in to a diamond, are made of finer stuff or you will crack. I strongly suspect that you will find strength that you didn't know you had. That is what this process is. A lot of people can't cut the mustard. You can, and you will.

Sounds like you have it pretty good. To compare, at about this stage in my life, I was living in a van, working more than one job, losing my marbles. You have an apartment, somebody that you love, kitties, and all kinds of creature comforts.

It is GOOD that you hate your job. Develop a strong undisguised loathing for it. Hate it with every fibre in your being. What you hate is mediocrity. If you do not follow through with your education, that is what you have to look forward to for the rest of your life. You obviously want something better, SO GO OUT AND TAKE IT FOR YOUR SELF. 

You know what? It will probably get worse. A lot worse. Expect it. Be prepared for it. And know in your mind that good things are only achieved through pain, suffering, and sacrifice, and anything worth having is worth suffering for. Adversity is a refinement process that makes us better human beings. With out discomfort, with out pain, with out that unpleasant feeling that life often brings, we would never be motivated to get off of our butts and do something better.

Don't get distracted by all those snares along the way, and do not be discouraged.

I'm rooting for you.
[right][snapback]91117[/snapback][/right]

Well said. I've set myself up and gone through the study hard-yards, and am into the real-world hard yards. The upside for me is that I should be able to (conservatively) retire by 35. That has been my end goal for the past decade, and has one decade to completion. (Whether I do retire once I can is another question entirely :P )

(Unfortunately it means I have to frame choices in strange ways... Marriage would cost me an extra five years if it happened in ten years time about fifteen if it happened immediately (assuming a non-working partner), car usage prior to retirement about two years, haven't even researched the cost of a child :P )
Count Duckula,Oct 5 2005, 07:06 PM Wrote:Hi everybody! ^_^

Here's hoping the 'net connection lasts. Yours in Wonderland,
[right][snapback]91089[/snapback][/right]
Welcome back :)
Doc,Oct 7 2005, 01:57 AM Wrote:I probably owe Gris a bunch of flowers and a box of expensive chocolates for all the times she has had to come and clean up my messes. Poor gal, she gets treated like a mother or a wife. Her work is never done. No thanks. No gratitude. Just endless piles of smelly socks, skidmarked underpants, dirty dishes, and other messes left by slovenly forum members.
[right][snapback]91308[/snapback][/right]

Here's a photo that Maxfield Parrish used to make his painting of Griselda!

[Image: MaxfieldParrish-Griselda-PhotoStudy-1909.jpg]

But I must say, our Griselda is a much better peice of work :whistling:

Three Cheers for Griselda!

Munk
Count Duckula,Oct 4 2005, 11:06 PM Wrote:We have mentally deranged Russians as next-door neighbors. [right][snapback]91089[/snapback][/right]

Really, is there any other kind?

If they bother you too much, tell them "Eedeete na hui". That will pacify them immediately. Yah, that's it :shuriken:

-A
Ashock,Oct 7 2005, 12:57 PM Wrote:Really, is there any other kind?[right][snapback]91367[/snapback][/right]

Well, there is also the kind that will kill you if you so much as suggest that they're mentally deranged. They are perfectly sane, as I keep telling them.
Thecla,Oct 8 2005, 01:25 AM Wrote:Well, there is also the kind that will kill you if you so much as suggest that they're mentally deranged. They are perfectly sane, as I keep telling them.
[right][snapback]91392[/snapback][/right]

Interesting company you keep these days....

-A