Giving up skinning for Enchanting?
I currently have an Undead Priest at arround level 35. For tradeskills, I have picked Tailoring, which I will keep and then picked skinning (which I believe is up to some 240 or so). However, except for some tailoring recipies, I really don't feel I have much use for it. I usually end up selling the leather and such. I could probably go to AH to get a bit more for it, but for some reason I usually do't do much AH stuff. SO I have this desire to pick another tradeskill that might be more usefull and/or fun. I play a lot myself and I like my characters to handle themselves so to speak, hence tailoring suits him well.

So my questions is then, is it worth it? Are there enough nice things in enchanting that would make it usefull? I heared it can cost a lot to level and such, is that a problem? Will I need my leather and skinning for later in tailoring to do nice stuff so that I should keep it? Anything else to consider?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Oct 1 2005, 07:53 AM Wrote:I currently have an Undead Priest  at arround level 35. For tradeskills, I have picked Tailoring, which I will keep and then picked skinning (which I believe is up to some 240 or so). However, except for some tailoring recipies, I really don't feel I have much use for it. I usually end up selling the leather and such. I could probably go to AH to get a bit more for it, but for some reason I usually do't do much AH stuff. SO I have this desire to pick another tradeskill that might be more usefull and/or fun. I play a lot myself and I like my characters to handle themselves so to speak, hence tailoring suits him well.

So my questions is then, is it worth it? Are there enough nice things in enchanting that would make it usefull? I heared it can cost a lot to level and such, is that a problem? Will I need my leather and skinning for later in tailoring to do nice stuff so that I should keep it? Anything else to consider?
[right][snapback]90687[/snapback][/right]

Sharanna is a tailor/enchantress. She's perpetually short on money and is still levelling the skill up. I like being able to drop a enchant on a weapon but it is definitely a trade skill for a casual player that wishes to have a steady cash flow.
Tal,Oct 1 2005, 04:15 AM Wrote:Sharanna is a tailor/enchantress. She's perpetually short on money and is still levelling the skill up. I like being able to drop a enchant on a weapon but it is definitely a trade skill for a casual player that wishes to have a steady cash flow.
[right][snapback]90690[/snapback][/right]
I think you meant "but it is definitely not a trade skill for a casual player that wishes to have a steady cash flow." When you burn all your greens instead of selling them to people at the AH or just vendering them you really feel it in the avalible funds. Buying new skills can be down right painful.\

If you are looking for another profession and want to make money, herbalism or mining is more profitable than skinning. Skinning just has that benifit of you aren't constantly checking the minimap for a small dot.
My first character did Mining and Skinning, and the skinning served the same purpose as the mining. Money. I sell my mineral bars and leather in the AH. All the conversations regarding the professions of tailoring, leatherworking, and enchanting have all had a similar theme, in that they were not terribly useful in a long term context. My characters who enchant (albeit they are fairly low level) typically spend more time disenchanting and selling what results, as opposed to enchanting things, but I also am aware of some enchanters who have worked up their skill to a very high level, and have some useful things. I would guess that whether or not you should drop a profession will depend on whether or not you just want to make money, or if you want to make "things" that could either make money, or be useful to guild members/friends, etc.
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
Sir_Die_alot,Oct 1 2005, 11:01 AM Wrote:I think you meant "but it is definitely not a trade skill for a casual player that wishes to have a steady cash flow." When you burn all your greens instead of selling them to people at the AH or just vendering them you really feel it in the avalible funds. Buying new skills can be down right painful.\
[right][snapback]90700[/snapback][/right]

Oops - thats exactly what I meant. :blush:
My Warlock is a 300 Tailor/300 Enchanter, and it's a nice combo. The best thing about (Dis)Enchanting however is that you can also disenchant all your soulbound items once you have grown out of them. So, if you have used blue or even purple items, you can disenchant them into the best shards, dusts and essences in the game which you can then sell for a lot of gold in the auction house.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
My warlock was a Tailor/Enchanter, and I just dropped it and picked up Skinning. It was a huge money sink and the only way to make money on it is with the high-level enchants, so I gave it up. I plan on switching my druid over from herb/alchemy to leatherworking/skinning, so the extra leather stuff I skin will go to him.
When I leveled up Enchanting, it seemed to suck up a lot of money. But now that I'm level 300 enchanting and level 60, it's the opposite. I make a *lot* of money off of enchanting with very little effort.

First of all, tailoring is a good way to reduce the costs of skilling up, because as you skill up tailoring, you end up making a lot of "junk greens" that you can disenchant and use to skill up your enchanting. That still costs money in the sense that you can't sell all the junk greens you made, but it still reduces the cost somewhat.

But how do I make money with enchanting? Do I sit around Orgrimmar hocking my wares? Nope. I just disenchant stuff and sell some of the dust, shards, and essences on the auction house. Enchanting materials have the benefit that you can place them up on the AH at no cost, so you can perpetually keep them up for sale until they do sell. Second, at level 60, I typically make about twice as much money selling the disenchanting materials I get from disenchanting something than I would by selling the original item. A couple gold here, a couple gold there, and over time, the cash builds up.
My Warrior's Mining/Disenchanting, and it's the same way. I sell all of my metals, besides Thorium (which becomes Arcanite or is used with Arcanite to have smiths make useful things for me), as well as all of the enchanting materials I gather.

I can send a day's worth of metal and enchanting supplies to my AH alt, put them up for auction, and then log in the next day and find myself anywhere from to 20 to 200 gold richer.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Enchanting is great for money making. I don't know any other profession, which can turn a 50s useless green magic item into 5g reagents that can be auctioned for no deposit price! The idea is not to disenchant items that you can AH (good greens) or vendor (green weapons).
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Tommi,Oct 3 2005, 07:22 AM Wrote:Enchanting is great for money making. I don't know any other profession, which can turn a 50s useless green magic item into 5g reagents that can be auctioned for no deposit price! The idea is not to disenchant items that you can AH (good greens) or vendor (green weapons).
[right][snapback]90825[/snapback][/right]
I agree. Level 35 is getting high enough to be able to solo some low level instances where the drop rates are very high. Walk in with empty bags, and walk out much much richer. I would say to train what you can in Enchanting, and hope for some nice recipe drops or snipe some from the AH.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

protip: when leveling your first character go with two gathering professions. tailoring and enchanting are likely the two most expensive professions to level.
Level 60 UD Mage - Spirestone
Level 20 Troll Rogue - Spirestone
Savingsupertokyo,Oct 4 2005, 10:12 AM Wrote:protip:&nbsp; when leveling your first character go with two gathering professions.&nbsp; tailoring and enchanting are likely the two most expensive professions to level.
[right][snapback]90964[/snapback][/right]
Nah, it's just the matter of how you AH the reagents. My enchanter had 95g when he hit level 40, and he was able to buy the mount right away. If you want level enchanting, always go for the cheapest enchants (preferably red, yellows will also do), in terms of AH prices. And for the expensive enchants, always sell them to people (like +5 dmg on a 2-h weapon), based on the AH prices of the reagents.
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Jarulf,Oct 1 2005, 03:53 AM Wrote:I currently have an Undead Priest&nbsp; at arround level 35. For tradeskills, I have picked Tailoring, which I will keep and then picked skinning (which I believe is up to some 240 or so). However, except for some tailoring recipies, I really don't feel I have much use for it. I usually end up selling the leather and such. I could probably go to AH to get a bit more for it, but for some reason I usually do't do much AH stuff. SO I have this desire to pick another tradeskill that might be more usefull and/or fun. I play a lot myself and I like my characters to handle themselves so to speak, hence tailoring suits him well.

[right][snapback]90687[/snapback][/right]

You don't need to keep Skinning because you can almost always buy Leather in the Auction House. There's not that much Leather used in tailoring anyhow.

Yes, Enchanting is good for disenchanting drops, quest rewards you don't want, etc.

But it's not so great for enchanting things. Just find someone in Orgrimmar and Ironforge to do the enchants for you. Or find a friend to do it. Most guilds will have someone who's a high level enchanter.

Tailoring -- meh. Besides feeding Enchanting, the things you make are usually little better than what you get otherwise at the same level. It's almost all Int/Spi cloth, when what you'd really like more is Int/Sta.

One tip - rather obvious I suppose - try to always level up Enchanting with enchants using Dust rather than Essences or Shards. Dust is usually in surplus.

If you want to be able to Disenchant and sell, just make an alt for the purpose, and send him/her/it the greens you're not going to dispose of otherwise (like Str/Spi armor.)

Anyhow, I shall now declare (by fiat as it were) that the one single worthwhile profession is Engineering. Engineering makes things that have no equivalent in the game -- that don't just naturally drop all the time. I just made my first engineer who's just gotten to 75 and I am making bombs and dynamite and having a blast. Later on you can make little robots to fight for you. Engineering lets warriors rez people (sometimes) with jumper cables. Goggles to help detect stealth, I think. Pets. And so on.

Mining to support Engineering of course.

All other professions duplicate stuff that's in the game ... easy to find or buy the equivalent. Non-Engineers can't just buy and use most of the Engineering stuff because it usually requires Engineering (of some level) to be used.

On the other hand, Tailor/Enchant is kind of fun. At least you're not always running off to attack some resource node. Forget about selling what you make, though: consider made things to be the mats with the skillups extracted (and therefore worth less money.) The one exception I've found is Spidersilk Boots, which get the extravagant "omg a Blue" bonus. Really nice for lvl 20, too. I guess they sell (10-15g) because lvl 20 blue cloth boots are not to be found otherwise.

But if you're min/maxing, then Engineering is mandatory in my opinion. And it's fun too.

(edit: mats for enchanting -- you can put in a minimal bid for whatever magic things that hapless Tailors and Leatherworkers have put in the AH. Keep an eye out for fire-sale prices on Dust, too - you can sometimes get stacks for rather cheap from somebody clearing out their pack/bank.)