Are you ready for "Serenity"?
Disclaimer: There are no spoilers for the movie Serenity in this thread!

On Friday, september 30th, the much-awaited, heavily anticipated movie "Serenity"
makes its debut in American cinema. This thread is an attempt to convince you to
go see it. :)

(Although I'm not crazy about the Poster, and especially the tag-line, I thought you should see it nonetheless.)

Background

[Image: Serenity.jpg]

In 2002, a show called "Firefly" created by Joss Whedon (Buffy the vampire slayer
/Angel) was aired and cancelled. The show was set 500 years into the future and
was about 9 distinctly different and unique characters on board a smuggling ship
called "Serenity". Without giving away any spoilery information, I can say that each
character had his own 'secret past' or agenda, that was never fully explored in the
timeframe of the series.

"Curse your sudden but inevitable cancellation!"
One of the reasons it was cancelled was because it didn't get a huge audience at
the time, partly because Fox aired the episodes in the wrong order (among other
things, the first episode was aired last). Fox refused to air 3 of the episodes, and
generally treated the show like crap, by replacing certain episodes with sports
events, changing the schedule for the show, etc. It didn't get a huge fanbase,
basically because no one knew when the episodes would air. The show was
cancelled after 11 episodes much to the agony of those loyal viewers who *did*
watch it. They tried everything to get the show back: they sent letters to Fox
executives, took out full ads in papers asking for their show back and even
contributed money to charities in Firefly's name. Nothing worked, until the DVD
set was released.

The Fans
Thanks to those hardcore fans (dubbed "Browncoats" after the name of the people
who were on the losing side of a civil war on the show [not a spoiler. She show
starts with their defeat]), and their tenacity, Fox decided to release the series on
DVD, and the sales went through the roof. For more information, check out this short
clip about the fanbase. ("Featurette: an inside look.) While we're on the subject of clips,
I uploaded a brand new interview with Joss for you. It's about Serenity, Wonder Woman
and a potential Spike-movie.

The Viral marketing
One of the characters of the show (and the movie), "River Tam", a prodigy and
genius, was kidnapped by the government and was forced to undergo medical
testing. She is a kind of telepath. As part of the promotion for the movie, Joss
filmed some short clips. They are supposedly from security cameras from the
institution where she was held. There are 5 clips, and I recommend viewing
them in the order of top to bottom (as opposed to chronologically). They give
some backstory as to what River Tam was subjected, prior to the events of "Firefly".
(If you haven't seen the series, they might not be as interesting as they are for
those of us who have.)

I hope everyone get a few friends together and bury their asses deep inside the
theater seats come this friday! This movie deserves it! I will leave you now with the
words of Joss Whedon which he posted on the official movie message board 3
days before the premiere:

We few, we happy few
Well boys and girls and boys dressed as girls and girls dressed as Kaylee, the time is almost upon us. This Friday we take that old rust-bucket out of the shipyard and see if she can breach atmo. It's been a long (to paraphrase a band I like) strange trip, and it'll be nice finally to show everybody what it is we've been tinkering with all this time. You already know you have my thanks, from the hardcore fans to the softcore... fans.... let me try that again. From the people manning the booths, buying DVD sets for their friends, getting banners seen everywhere on Australian TV, raffling artwork for ticketholders (Adam Hughes, take a bow), to the most casual fan who just wants to see the flick and won't ever even read this. You guys are the fuel in the engine, the Fire in the Fly, the weird green stuff coming out of Serenity's butt. (Hmmm. Forget that last one. I'm a little bit out of control here.)

Everyone needs something to keep them going. Mal has his ship. Zoe has her integrity. Jayne has Vera. And I've got you guys.

So what now? There have been so many posts about seeing it, seeing it again, the first weekend, the second weekend, being enthusiastic without being obnoxious (and yes, it IS hard to see over the pom-pom of a Jayne hat), buying tickets in advance, making a noise... I honestly wouldn't know what to add. I can tell you this: the movie will play in about 2200 hundred theaters, which is a good number. Too many, and you get empty theaters with no energy -- not enough, and you get, well, not enough. It may be hard to find in some areas but it'll be out there. Leave no multiplex unturned! This is going to be a ground war, peeps -- we have to hold the valley for a long while. However it opens, it needs to HOLD. Instead of the Alliance we'll be fighting viewer apathy, fear of something new, the urge to wait for DVD, and Jessica Alba in a bikini. (Although I have it on good authority that she spends 90% of the film in a huge wooly parka. Make sure that gets out.)

The day this puppy opens, I'll be seeing it with my family (don't worry, there's a lot of them, and they're all paying) and then I'm off to Europe to learn the word 'Browncoats' in nine different languages -- 'cause like I said, it's all about holding. I'll never be far from a computer, though, so I can check in with y'all. Thanks for every damn thing.

And remember, amidst all the urgency to make this an event, all the work and the worry, to take two hours and just enjoy yourself. That is, after all, what all this fighting's about.

-joss.

Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I am looking forward to this movie! Yesterday SciFi was having a FireFly marathon, where they showed all the episodes. I got to see a good chunk of it, and for never seeing it beforehand, I was very impressed! I know you all have spoken of it a few times, but now that I actually saw it, I am completely befuddled as to why it would have been canceled! Long live Serenity!
WWBBD?
a little off the top and the back and, voila:

[wcip]Angel,Sep 28 2005, Wrote:I hope everyone get a few friends together and bury their asses deep inside the
theater seats come this friday! This movie deserves it! I will leave you now with the words of Joss Whedon which he posted on the official movie message board 3
days before the premiere:
[right][snapback]90376[/snapback][/right]

I'm not going to be getting folks together, but I am planning to sneak in a matinee this week-end (my wife is out of town so I'm left to my own devices). I'll admit that I'm not familiar with the story line, but the trailor had me interested as soon as the one guy says "I'm unarmed" and the other guy responds with the barel of a weapon and "Good..." Doesn't take much for me to get roped in, but it's not enough to pay full price. The other thing that I wanted to see was Corpse Bride, but only one theater near me is showing it, and I don't think I want to drive that far. We'll see I guess.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Looking forward to the movie? That's a given.

When did Hollywood become too good for a suit? Are you a writer/director, or a cook from the diner across the parking lot? At least the putz doing the interview could have shed his 3dgy low-tops and jeans for a couple minutes.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Will someone who's never seen the show be able to follow the events of the movie well? Or will they be left in the dark with some characters, backround, and events?
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Sep 28 2005, 12:04 PM Wrote:Will someone who's never seen the show be able to follow the events of the movie well?  Or will they be left in the dark with some characters, backround, and events?
[right][snapback]90402[/snapback][/right]
I honestly doubt Joss Whedon would do that. It will probably be better if you don't know stuff about the characters, since it will add some suspense. I haven't seen the show either; I didn't even know it existed until this morning as I passed a flyer talking about "Go See Serenity" and it had "Firefly out on DVD" on the side.

I'm a big fan of Angel, so I'm really hoping to go see this movie. Probably Saturday afternoon.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
jahcs,Sep 28 2005, 04:04 PM Wrote:Will someone who's never seen the show be able to follow the events of the movie well?  Or will they be left in the dark with some characters, backround, and events?
[right][snapback]90402[/snapback][/right]
This has been one of the primary concerns for Joss. He knows the tenacity of his fanbase. They will go see and love his movie no matter what. It's everyone else he has to please; and he's worked *very* hard on making sure that he's walking that fine line between too much and too little exposition.

A comparison, if you will:

Take Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children, a newly released movie based on the popular roleplaying game FFVII. I loved the movie with every fibre of my being but I can say with complete and utter honesty, that if you haven't played the game, you won't get much out of this movie, despite it being pretty damn good! The movie was made especially *for* the fans of the game, and it shows. There are *tons* innuendos and allusions to the game that non-gamers will not even realise are there.

If you see the interview I posted in my first post here, Joss says explicitly that he had to make this movie attractive to the non-firefly fans (and rather hopefully turn them into ones.) He's done it before, and I know he can do it again.

Let me explain what I meant with that last sentence. Joss wrote the "pilot" (1st episode) of the Firefly-series. It was named "Serenity" (don't confuse this with the movie.) The network felt that the pilot was too complex, it contained too much exposition and not enough purty action-sequences. While we may roll our eyes at this, it forced Joss Whedon and Tim Minear to write A COMPLETE NEW PILOT for the show during the course of 1 week-end. So how do you write a new pilot on a show that already has a pilot? Think of all the exposition you'll get twice from each episode. Think of all the stuff that's being introduced twice.

Who knows how they did it, but they managed to create a believable (more action-packed) pilot with enough exposition to serve as an introduction to the series, but not too much so that when you watch "Serenity" (the pilot) and the second episode after one another, it doesn't seem trite.

Remember the "second" episode was the first aired on TV. Think of the movie Serenity as the "second" episode. It maintains the fact that no one has seen the first. Because of Fox' insulting view of fans of tv-series, Joss learned something valuable, that I'm sure will inevitably make for a damn good movie.

I don't know if you all understood that, but it made perfect sense to me :)
I can hardly wait. I was one of the few watching the series from the start.
Surprise!

It may actually be pretty good!

This pleases me. There seems to have been a real lack of decent SciFi movies lately. I'm still recovering from the pure suck that was Terminator 3.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Sep 30 2005, 09:34 AM Wrote:Surprise!

This pleases me.  There seems to have been a real lack of decent SciFi movies lately.  I'm still recovering from the pure suck that was Terminator 3.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]90608[/snapback][/right]

T3 was not so bad. It was no T2, but then again nothing is. OTOH, Chronicles of Riddick, that was a true masterpiece.

-A
T3 should have been a straight to cable movie. :shuriken:
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I liked the Robo Babe myself.
Bolty,Sep 30 2005, 10:34 AM Wrote:Surprise!

This pleases me.  There seems to have been a real lack of decent SciFi movies lately.  I'm still recovering from the pure suck that was Terminator 3.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]90608[/snapback][/right]

I like this review.

Quote:"Like watching the original Star Wars for the first time, or better yet, watching The Empire Strikes Back... Mal is a guy who would shoot Greedo first."
-- Fred Topel, ABOUT.COM

I am tempted to go the Think Geek and order a Han Shot First
T-Shirt.

But I just bought a car, so pennies are tight for a while.

Oh, you ask, what hot set of wheels did this man in a mid-life crisis buy? I am trading in my Saturn SL2 Sedan for a Saturn Ion 3 sedan, Manual Transmission.

Yeah, I know, boooooooooooring . . . and 35 mpg.

I wanted a Saturn Sky roadster, but it's not a necessity and not een on the market yet.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 30 2005, 08:52 PM Wrote:Oh, you ask, what hot set of wheels did this man in a mid-life crisis buy?  I am trading in my Saturn SL2 Sedan for a Saturn Ion 3 sedan, Manual Transmission.
[right][snapback]90641[/snapback][/right]

I have a 2001 Saturn SL1 and love it. It's no sports car but 38-40mpg makes up for it's lackluster acceleration. Manual transmission all the way. So many of my friends don't know how to drive a stick; it's kind of pathetic.

Back to the original post:

I've been looking forward to this movie since I saw the trailer. I'd heard of Firefly (but never seen it) but didn't know about the connection. I actually saw the ads for the Firefly mrathon but didn't watch it. Man, am I regretting that now ;)
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Ashock,Sep 30 2005, 01:04 PM Wrote:T3 was not so bad. It was no T2, but then again nothing is.[right][snapback]90621[/snapback][/right]
It was odd for me watching T3. I kept saying "I'm sure the good part is coming any time now." Had a chuckle during the whole 'huge truck with crane smashing through everything' because it was so over-the-top gratuitous, and laughed some when the psychiatrist from T1/T2 had his short bit seeing Ahnult again in T3 and freaking out.

But that was about it. That's all I remember from the flick. Just lots of violence with nothing interesting.

I just looked it up on RottenTomatoes and noted that it got a favorable rating, which surprised me. Then I found Roger Ebert's review of T3 which pointed out, in much better terms, what I was thinking watching T3 and wishing they never bothered making it:

Quote:The first two Terminator movies, especially the second...played elegantly with the paradoxes of time travel, in films where the action scenes were necessary to the convoluted plot. There was actual poignancy in the dilemma of John Connor, responsible for a world that did not even yet exist. The robot Terminator, reprogrammed by Connor, provided an opportunity to exploit Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics.

"Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" is made in the spirit of...slick new action thrillers, and abandons its own tradition to provide wall-to-wall action in what is essentially one long chase and fight, punctuated by comic, campy or simplistic dialogue...The time-based paradoxes are used arbitrarily and sometimes confusingly, and lead to an enormous question at the end: How, if that is what happens, are the computer-based machines of the near future created? Perhaps because the plot is thinner and more superficial, the characters don't have the same impact, either.

The ending must remain for you to discover, but I will say it seems perfunctory--more like a plot development than a denouement in the history of humanity. The movie cares so exclusively about its handful of characters that what happens to them is of supreme importance, and the planet is merely a backdrop.

No one can call T2 a "cerebral" movie, but much like "The Matrix" it wasn't just "here's some action with cool futuristic thingies, isn't that swell?" That's all T3 wound up being and it made it such a disappointment. I hate it when people call movies like that "SciFi." The "Science" is just another method to cause explosions.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Ashock,Sep 30 2005, 02:04 PM Wrote:Chronicles of Riddick, that was a true masterpiece.
[right][snapback]90621[/snapback][/right]

The Chronicles of Riddick is one of my favourite movies. I can watch it over and over again.

Have you seen the animated prequel? It's set between the events of Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick. It features all of the same actors doing voices. It was pretty cool.
Bolty,Sep 30 2005, 04:19 PM Wrote:It was odd for me watching T3.  I kept saying "I'm sure the good part is coming any time now."  Had a chuckle during the whole 'huge truck with crane smashing through everything' because it was so over-the-top gratuitous, and laughed some when the psychiatrist from T1/T2 had his short bit seeing Ahnult again in T3 and freaking out.

But that was about it.  That's all I remember from the flick.  Just lots of violence with nothing interesting.

I just looked it up on RottenTomatoes and noted that it got a favorable rating, which surprised me.  Then I found Roger Ebert's review of T3 which pointed out, in much better terms, what I was thinking watching T3 and wishing they never bothered making it:
No one can call T2 a "cerebral" movie, but much like "The Matrix" it wasn't just "here's some action with cool futuristic thingies, isn't that swell?"  That's all T3 wound up being and it made it such a disappointment.  I hate it when people call movies like that "SciFi."  The "Science" is just another method to cause explosions.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]90659[/snapback][/right]

Just got back from seeing Serenity.

Good stuff. I loved the way the dialogue was done. Spec effects were not emphasized, character and such plot as any Space Opera has was emphasized.

No spoilers. Worth a look, heck, I recommend it.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Thanks Occhi! I appreciate people NOT spoiling the movie. I would be slightly miffed if I was suddently unable to check replies in my own thread ;)

If you want to talk about spoilery stuff, please indicate so by big flashy letters :)

So Occhi, if you liked Serenity, perhaps you'd like to pick up a copy of the Firefly-series to see how all this started. The audio commentaries by Joss Whedon are insightful and full of sarcastic jabs at the network for cancelling his show :)
T3 could have, and would have, been so much better had the original storyline been followed. If you notice, in T2, an arm got snipped off in the gears. Also, the poly-memetic terminator, when he shattered, he did not recover all of his bits. Lots of little damaged pieces of him left behind, which was why he was so glitchy. Like when he touches the rail and his hand becomes black and yellow.

In the original ending to T2, John Connor becomes a US Senator. He creates a program of drones to help hunt down rogue nuclear weapons to bring peace. These drones that his initiative creates are the prototypes to the Hunter Killers seen in the films. These drones, as the network that runs them becomes self aware. We find out that it was John that created Skynet by accident. You can see the original ending on some of the special edition type DVDs. You can also see the gas station scene where they pop off the back of the terminator's skull and flip a very important chip around in to a read write mode, which is what allows him to learn.

It's also very important to note how the poly memetic terminator was made. In T2, in a deleted scene, it was explained that Skynet, being a communications system first and foremost, did something that humans had failed to do. Make contact with aliens. It implies that the T1000 was the results from that contact. I believe the book touches on this in some form.

Also failed to mention in T2, was that there were humans helping Skynet. Cybernetically enhanced. People willing to betray human kind to become monsters with unlimited power. Skynet needed humans for tasks that machines could not do.

Er, sorry, such a juicy subject this is. It bothers me that T3 failed in so many ways. Cameron said in one of the DVD interviews that he had planned on 4 or 5. Some involving time travel backward, and some involving time travel forward.

It kills me that a great story will never be told.

Serenity looks promising.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
"It kills me that a great story will never be told."

How do you think *we* felt when Firefly was cancelled? ;)
You're not as off-topic as you think :P