Your personal rules of random PVP?
Zippyy,Sep 26 2005, 06:43 PM Wrote:Ever played a tauren?

:rolleyes:
[right][snapback]90255[/snapback][/right]

Tauren Hunter up to 15 in closed beta (back before they had talents). The female takes up a lot less space than the male, and back then I didn't know about zooming in and out with the camera.
Zippyy,Sep 26 2005, 08:43 PM Wrote:Ever played a tauren?

:rolleyes:
[right][snapback]90255[/snapback][/right]
My Mogo is beautiful! With or without her closet full of clothes! Them's fightin' words Zippyy. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
vor_lord,Sep 26 2005, 01:50 PM Wrote:Then let me help you -- your assumptions are wrong in at least one case.  Nothing about Necrali's bony behind gives me any pleasure  :lol: [right][snapback]90214[/snapback][/right]
I have created only two male characters (Dwarf, and Undead). I think most races have really ugly males. Obviously that was kind of the point on the Horde side. But aside from Troll's hair styles :blink: (uhh...) nothing is sexy about Horde females either. (obviously they chose to do that instead of breeding useful racial traits...)

Actually, my favorite character design is an Orc female. Give her a scowling face, moppy white hair, medium green skin, and Warlock's or Shaman's robes and you have one hell of a character before you start role-playing :w00t: .

As for the original topic, I only get involved in random pvp while questing. If we're just running by each other or something it's not worth the trouble. But I've had some amazingly fun times in places like the Charred Vale running around killing monsters with a couple guys and trying to play the safe game with the five horde players also questing and waiting for the moment to strike. One battle was a ridiculous back and forth where we covered the entire width of the place cutting a swath through lizards, treants, and harpies over the course of 15 minutes. Finally I killed their Druid and we finished them off.
Treesh,Sep 26 2005, 11:15 PM Wrote:My Mogo is beautiful!  With or without her closet full of clothes!  Them's fightin' words Zippyy.  ;)
[right][snapback]90261[/snapback][/right]
Finally, someone who knows me well enough not to take me seriously! :D
The error occurred on line -1.
Zippyy,Sep 26 2005, 08:28 PM Wrote:Finally, someone who knows me well enough not to take me seriously!  :D
[right][snapback]90263[/snapback][/right]

I was wondering if anyone would ever bring up your warrior...Zipella...that sexually harassed a male character in game...oops...I think I broke your cover... :shuriken:
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Savingsupertokyo,Sep 23 2005, 12:46 PM Wrote:[snip]
while im farming herbs in a lowbie zone and riding down the path there are three kinds of alliance i run into.  those that scatter and hide.  and they live because im busy.  those that are foolish enough to attack.  and they die.  and those that are my level and farming too.  and i will kill them if i can, because i want to defend my herbs.
[right][snapback]90008[/snapback][/right]

And it's crap like this that put me off PvP servers from the beginning. To me, killing lowbies a zillion levels under you when they are trying to get herbs/resources in the only zones they can, is griefing, not fun. You obviously feel like a king doing it, and get a lot of enjoyment from it.

You can practice your brand of fun, messing up others' playtime, but don't expect us to laud you for it.

--Mav
Zippyy,Sep 26 2005, 10:48 AM Wrote:You are an exception.

The only exception.

I propose that cross-gender play be banned.  Only when verified female by DNA testing will you be allowed to create a female avatar.  This might be a bad idea.
[right][snapback]90181[/snapback][/right]

Now that's funny. I'd have to scrap most of my characters. I think Bolty would, too.

--Mav
Zippyy,Sep 26 2005, 09:48 AM Wrote:You are an exception.

The only exception.

I propose that cross-gender play be banned.  Only when verified female by DNA testing will you be allowed to create a female avatar.  This might be a bad idea.
[right][snapback]90181[/snapback][/right]

*Giggle* *Chortle* *Guffaw* *OUCH!* (Cracked a rib)

"Mommy, make the mean man stop, he's hurting me!" :lol:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Rules for random PvP? I never thought of actually writing them down, but this is what I usually abide by (not in any particular order):

1. Kill Rogues on sight. +/- ANY level. Grey, Red, I don't care, they're going down. Rogues must die. "Flameshock for the win."

2. Kill Druids on sight. See #1. Those cheetahs aren't getting away from me, damn it. "Stopwatch and Frostshock for the win."

3. Ignore Paladins. Just don't bother. A good level 60 takes about 3 minutes to kill, and if he's dedicated, longer because of LoH, Shield, potions, and whatever trinkets or engineering things he might employ.

4. Any grey level allies far lower than me are to be ignored. If there's no "honor" then there's no point, UNLESS they are known grief/gankers. Then, it's medicine tasting time. I do maintain a Kill On Sight list, and I've referenced it from time to time.

5. Neutral town shmeutral town. If there are no guards, and he's within level, he's going down. If there are guards, lead in with a critical shock or chain, and wolf the hell out. Take the guards away from town so your partner can clean up.

6. Female Schemale. If he/she is in sight, that shemale is going down. I just assume a female toon is a tranny surprise unless proven otherwise.

7. Don't camp, unless they deserve it. Generally, camping and getting camped makes both the camper and the campee lose time for no reason. There are only very particular situations when a player needs to be camped. A /spit /mock'er usually just gets smoked a couple of times, then I move on.

8. Res sickness schmes-schickness. Had to res at the healer, eh? Well, you're about to go right back there.

9. Make every effort to kill a hunter that feigns death in town to get free kills with their pet. This little exploit is ridiculous, and if I see it happening, I lead in with a crit-chain and smoke that feigned bastard. I did this once in gadget, and managed to escape the bruisers, too. That one felt good. A druid grew a pair and followed me out for what he thought was an easy kill... He was mistaken. See #2.

It's always fun to combine these rules. Number 1, 5, 6 and 8 go very well together. A critical chain lightning on a res sick night elf female rogue in Gadgetzan is just a thing of beauty.

So yes, I play by a Kill On Sight mindset. What's fun is going to Maraudon and waiting by the doors for the 60 ally hunter farmers to come by. That's essentially free honor, since the poor buggers don't know how to play their class. That, and it hurts the farmers' bottom line. I just love to mess with farmers. A friend of mine was doing that yesterday, and one of the horde farmers messaged him to plead with him to stop killing the alliance farmers. Of course, he wasn't going to stop. The farmers come in shifts, so diminishing returns on the kills wasn't an issue. There were four ally hunters, all trying to farm up Mara, and my friend, a 57 Shaman, kept killing them over and over, one or all four of them at once. If these 60's were any good at all, this wouldn't have even been close, but since they were just farmers, even teamed up, they couldn't stop him.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Mavfin,Sep 28 2005, 09:42 AM Wrote:Now that's funny.  I'd have to scrap most of my characters.  I think Bolty would, too.[right][snapback]90390[/snapback][/right]
Well actually, I have just as many male characters as I do female characters.

It's just that the female ones seem to get played more. Hmm.

-Bolty

P.S. Actually it's a coincidence - I prefer to make caster classes female because to me it fits the stereotype of male = big and strong, gravitating toward the use of big weapons and toughness, while female = agile and physically weaker, so gravitating toward the pursuit of intelligent arts or gymnastic feats. Call me sexist, cause, well, I am! Also, I've always preferred playing caster classes.

My setup on Stormrage was to have a male and female of each race for the 8 disparate classes. I chose what I felt was the optimum configuration for that and tried to pick the genders that fit. What washed out was that I had a male gnome mage. Oh well.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I kill Paladins on sight because I enjoy watching them burn both bubbles and LoH and still lose the fight.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Bolty,Sep 28 2005, 02:06 PM Wrote:My setup on Stormrage was to have a male and female of each race for the 8 disparate classes.  I chose what I felt was the optimum configuration for that and tried to pick the genders that fit.  What washed out was that I had a male gnome mage.  Oh well.
[right][snapback]90435[/snapback][/right]
Not to drift right off topic, but in building my male gnome mage on Dethecus I decided intentionally to go out of my way to get a Mooncloth Vest so I didn't have to run around in a skirt while I was getting my magister's.

Then I'm down in Sunken Temple and I win what I think are a nice blue pair of pants only to realize I've just won a blue Kilt and I'm back in a dress again until I get my mag's legs... :lol:
Mavfin,Sep 28 2005, 08:38 AM Wrote:And it's crap like this that put me off PvP servers from the beginning.  To me, killing lowbies a zillion levels under you when they are trying to get herbs/resources in the only zones they can, is griefing, not fun.  You obviously feel like a king doing it, and get a lot of enjoyment from it. 

You can practice your brand of fun, messing up others' playtime, but don't expect us to laud you for it.
[right][snapback]90389[/snapback][/right]

Should I leave that lvl 51 paladin alone that is taking my Sungrass and Ghost Mushrooms in the hinterlands? I think not.

Perhaps you thought I was farming in Ashenvale and killing lvl 20s for grins?
Level 60 UD Mage - Spirestone
Level 20 Troll Rogue - Spirestone
Savingsupertokyo,Sep 29 2005, 02:56 PM Wrote:Should I leave that lvl 51 paladin alone that is taking my Sungrass and Ghost Mushrooms in the hinterlands?  I think not.

[right][snapback]90520[/snapback][/right]

What herbs were you after in Dustwallow that you attacked him/her over? You cant' come back into the conversation and pretend to be the aggrieved party when you've already stated the following:

Savingsupertokyo,Sep 23 2005, 04:04 AM Wrote:Then I was ashamed, because I had broken my rules of pvp.  #1) Red = Dead.  #2) Unless they have a clever emote/name/guild tag that makes me laugh
[right][snapback]89976[/snapback][/right]

Pick a stance Savingsupertokyo - does red = dead even when they're lowbies or are you fighting the good fight against an opponent that has even a narrow chance of fighting back. You can't do both.
Tal,Sep 29 2005, 01:56 PM Wrote:What herbs were you after in Dustwallow that you attacked him/her over? You cant' come back into the conversation and pretend to be the aggrieved party when you've already stated the following:
Pick a stance Savingsupertokyo - does red = dead even when they're lowbies or are you fighting the good fight against an opponent that has even a narrow chance of fighting back. You can't do both.
[right][snapback]90532[/snapback][/right]

go back and read my original post. i wan't out picking herbs, i was on my way to onyxias lair, and i saw a red name. i killed it because it is my personal rule to kill all red names EXCEPT those that have clever guild tags or character names. The rule of thumb is that I'll leave you alone if you make me laugh. I felt bad because I laughed after seeing the guild tag, and had inadvertently broken one of my rules.

what i said to Mavfin is a different circumstance altogether.

personally, i don't know what your problem with me is. i stopped posting at the amazon basin because of this kind of attitude. shall i do the same for the lounge?
Level 60 UD Mage - Spirestone
Level 20 Troll Rogue - Spirestone
Savingsupertokyo,Sep 29 2005, 04:42 PM Wrote:go back and read my original post.  i wan't out picking herbs, i was on my way to onyxias lair, and i saw a red name.  i killed it because it is my personal rule to kill all red names EXCEPT those that have clever guild tags or character names.  The rule of thumb is that I'll leave you alone if you make me laugh.  I felt bad because I laughed after seeing the guild tag, and had inadvertently broken one of my rules.

personally, i don't know what your problem with me is.  i stopped posting at the amazon basin because of this kind of attitude.  shall i do the same for the lounge?
[right][snapback]90547[/snapback][/right]

Do I really have to answer that? I won't miss one with your attitudes toward other people.
--Mav
Savingsupertokyo,Sep 29 2005, 10:42 PM Wrote:personally, i don't know what your problem with me is.  i stopped posting at the amazon basin because of this kind of attitude.  shall i do the same for the lounge?

I suggest you either grow thicker skin or refrain from posting threads about what pvp should be. Such threads always get heated.

William Webb Ellis is famous as the founder of the game of Rugby. Allegedly one day he picked up the football during a match and played using his hands, after which a storm of protests and arguments followed. One camp decided to allow using hands leading to the sports of Rugby and American Football, one camp decided to outlaw using hands leading to the sport of Soccer

That's how I see the pvp/pve issue - coming onto a Rugby field and screaming "Handball!" is simply absurd.

However if you try to explain to a mixed audience why using hands makes for an intrinsically better sport than not using hands does using logic and anecdote you're going to arouse strong feelings and dissenting views

Go kill some pixels and come back when feelings sufficiently vented B)
Zippyy,Sep 26 2005, 08:48 AM Wrote:I propose that cross-gender play be banned.  Only when verified female by DNA testing will you be allowed to create a female avatar.  This might be a bad idea.

Zippyy, if you like staring at a guy's behind for hours each day, then I think that's completely your prerogative.
MongoJerry,Sep 29 2005, 03:18 PM Wrote:Zippyy, if you like staring at a guy's behind for hours each day, then I think that's completely your prerogative.
[right][snapback]90554[/snapback][/right]

Looks like you fell for it...

Clicky

That should explain a bit.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Savingsupertokyo,Sep 29 2005, 02:42 PM Wrote:go back and read my original post.  i wan't out picking herbs, i was on my way to onyxias lair, and i saw a red name.  i killed it because it is my personal rule to kill all red names EXCEPT those that have clever guild tags or character names.  The rule of thumb is that I'll leave you alone if you make me laugh.  I felt bad because I laughed after seeing the guild tag, and had inadvertently broken one of my rules.

personally, i don't know what your problem with me is.  i stopped posting at the amazon basin because of this kind of attitude.  shall i do the same for the lounge?

No need to get upset. Tal is pointing out an obvious inconsistency in your statements. You stated:

1. Red = dead
2. UNLESS they have a clever name or guild tag

AND:

Quote:Should I leave that lvl 51 paladin alone that is taking my Sungrass and Ghost Mushrooms in the hinterlands? I think not.

The above implies that killing lowbies while farming herbs in Ashenvale wasn't something you would do, when according to your rules it clearly is something you would do (whether or not you've actually done it). It's not at all a different circumstance, as your rules do not allow for circumstance to affect them at all. The only variable is your reaction to a clever name.

According to your rules, killing level 20s for grins is perfectly acceptable -- in fact required if you happen to encounter them (which by this thread you are by no means unique in viewing things this way, that's not the issue).

This is the inconsistency. In a thread about your personal rules of PvP, I think it's totally relevant to get an explanation for such an inconsistency.

If the implication that has been drawn is incorrect (i.e. you DON'T think it would be wrong to kill lowbies in Ashenvale), then what were you trying to say to Mav?