On the couch, eating Tostitas
When I got a glimpse of Rita
Swirling like a dervish toward the Texas Gulf Coast

Got some wood, covered the windows
Battened down, in case the wind blows
Hoping Rita blows into a bay north of here *

Lovely Rita Hurricane
I could quite do without you
Why don't you go finish off New Orleans?

Wife and kids, packed into the car
Told her to drive inland, real far
Vacation / 'Vacuation start to be the same thing

Got the food, and got the water
Batteries and dog, for starters
Gonna settle in and watch my town get blown down

Rita! (lilting piano music)

Lovely Rita Hurricane
May I inquire discretely
Who pissed you off and sent you here to me?

*fade away echo voices*
Lovely Rita Hurricane
Lovely Rita Hurricane

* = As of this morning, Matagorda Bay appears to be the landfall location. That is far enough north to keep me from leaving town.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hah! That's great.

More classy than the Ophelia, you're breaking my heart crowd.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Wow. I had started to respond to this post Wednesday night to ask for a reminder as to what part of Texas you are in. It seems misery loves company. As I was starting my reply, the sky got really dark and the wind started to roar. The rain and hail started slamming the window next to me. Hearing what sounded like the window getting ready to blow in and then some big thuds seemingly from the roof above me, I pulled the plug from my laptop and took it and myself to the center of the house. Shortly after that, we lost power. When we could see what happened in the daylight, we found no noticeable damage to the house but huge chunks of 5 of our big trees covering the backyard. They had fortunately blown away from the house. It turns out a couple tornadoes had blown through a couple miles north of us and we had had 80 mph straight line winds. Chain saws have been buzzing all around for the past two days and we finally got power back about an hour ago. I was going nuts without electricity, especially when Thursday night rolled around and I realized I was going to miss the Molten Core raid. :(
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Sep 23 2005, 09:25 PM Wrote:It turns out a couple tornadoes had blown through a couple miles north of us and we had had 80 mph straight line winds.  Chain saws have been buzzing all around for the past two days and we finally got power back about an hour ago.  I was going nuts without electricity, especially when Thursday night rolled around and I realized I was going to miss the Molten Core raid.  :(
[right][snapback]90083[/snapback][/right]

Hurricanes often spawn tornadoes, so I imagine we'll get reports or twisters all over Eastern Texas over the next few days.

I am in Corpus CHristi, and Rita heard my singing and headed away, north of us. Lucky me, unlucky Beaumont and Galveston. :(

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 24 2005, 04:45 PM Wrote:I am in Corpus CHristi, and Rita heard my singing and headed away, north of us.  Lucky me, unlucky Beaumont and Galveston.  :(

Occhi
[right][snapback]90084[/snapback][/right]

Well I had to look that up, and what a place to live. It has a nice bay with shelter from an offshore island. Looks a lot like the wonderful Brisbane geography. Drat, just as I'd put America out of my mind as a place to live :P
whyBish,Sep 26 2005, 12:30 AM Wrote:Well I had to look that up, and what a place to live.  It has a nice bay with shelter from an offshore island.  Looks a lot like the wonderful Brisbane geography.  Drat, just as I'd put America out of my mind as a place to live  :P
[right][snapback]90162[/snapback][/right]

Hot and humid. This September has been weird. Almost a dozen days 95 to 102 F, and yesterday's heat index was 114. (Humitidy and Temp combination) Ten degrees higher than seasonal norm.

Fall and spring are nice, If you like windsurfing, sailing, golf, fishing, boating, swimming, there is quite a bit to like.

Anyhoo, are your designs on emigrating to the US still on, or on hold?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
If the weather map I saw was right, we had some rain yesterday from the remains of Katrina. (no, I did not need to look at the weather map to see if it was raining.) Rain wasn't too bad, another example that makes me happy I don't live in the southeast.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Occhidiangela,Sep 27 2005, 07:53 AM Wrote:Anyhoo, are your designs on emigrating to the US still on, or on hold?

Occhi
[right][snapback]90204[/snapback][/right]
My current employer utilising me at above my walk-in power for a new job, and are shoveling vast sums into my bank account ( ;) ) so for the next 18mo. or so I'm not likely to head anywhere. Once I have some software team lead experience under my belt (project to finish late next year?) then I'll re-evaluate.
whyBish,Sep 27 2005, 12:21 AM Wrote:My current employer utilising me at above my walk-in power for a new job, and are shoveling vast sums into my bank account (  ;) ) so for the next 18mo. or so I'm not likely to head anywhere.  Once I have some software team lead experience under my belt (project to finish late next year?) then I'll re-evaluate.
[right][snapback]90269[/snapback][/right]

OK, please keep in touch, if you choose to move I will try to help in such modest ways as I can. :blush:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete