Just Another Political Post.
whyBish,Oct 7 2005, 01:40 AM Wrote::P
Seems pointless to me.  Why invest in teaching someone a lesson and then end their life?  Unless you believe in something after death other than decomposition
[right][snapback]91304[/snapback][/right]

When you hang somebody with a short rope... It can take them up to a half an hour or even longer to die. Not enough force in the drop to break their neck.

They can tighten their neck mucles. They can kick and struggle. But they know, in their mind, that sooner or later, they are going to get tired and death will come for them. It's not about teaching them a lesson, nor is it about being cruel to them. It's more about being fair. They get to suffer as they have made others suffer. They get to think about their own death and struggle against it, even though it will do them no good. They get to come to terms with their own mortality before they die.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Oct 7 2005, 12:50 AM Wrote:They get to think about their own death and struggle against it, even though it will do them no good. They get to come to terms with their own mortality before they die.
[right][snapback]91305[/snapback][/right]

I don't think one tends to wax philosophical whilst choking to death, as the lowest tier of Maslow's heirarchy tends to dominate all other concerns as the struggle for oxygen continues.

Having never been hanged, I may be talking out of my backside, but I have been trapped underwater a few times, very short of air, and I promise you, not a lot going on there other than immediate problem solving: how to get air.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 7 2005, 12:29 PM Wrote:I don't think one tends to wax philosophical whilst choking to death, as the lowest tier of Maslow's heirarchy tends to dominate all other concerns as the struggle for oxygen continues. 

Having never been hanged, I may be talking out of my backside, but I have been trapped underwater a few times, very short of air, and I promise you, not a lot going on there other than immediate problem solving: how to get air.

Occhi
[right][snapback]91348[/snapback][/right]

A lot can go through your mind in a half an hour. Especially when you are just hanging out with nothing to do.

Gallow humour? Yeah.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Oct 7 2005, 12:11 PM Wrote:Especially when you are just hanging out with nothing to do.

Gallow humour? Yeah.
[right][snapback]91351[/snapback][/right]

Gallows humor, and in this case, gallows groaners. Of course, after swinging for a about a half an hour, we'd have to revisit the term "well hung" and "well hanged" as well as criterion for being classified as a "swinger."

"Mommy, make the mean man stop, he's hurting me!"

Occhi

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Oct 7 2005, 05:18 PM Wrote:Gallows humor, and in this case, gallows groaners.  Of course, after swinging for a about a half an hour, we'd have to revisit the term "well hung" and "well hanged" as well as criterion for being classified as a "swinger."

"Mommy, make the mean man stop, he's hurting me!"

Occhi
[right][snapback]91373[/snapback][/right]

That's a very knotty joke.

If we keep doing this, folk could find us a real pain in the neck.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,Oct 8 2005, 06:29 AM Wrote:I don't think one tends to wax philosophical whilst choking to death, as the lowest tier of Maslow's heirarchy tends to dominate all other concerns as the struggle for oxygen continues. 

Occhi
[right][snapback]91348[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Maslow. If you wanted someone to consider what they've done, it would be better to give them a long stay on death row (with nothing to do, as Doc put it), but that defeats the point of cost savings.