Seek Shelter My Canadian Friends!
Whole lotta shakin goin on!

Now it seems, we get to make fun of your disaster recovery efforts.

:P

Seriously. Hold on to your large furry floppy flappy hat thingamajigs that all of you wear. Stay safe!
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Sep 18 2005, 06:03 AM Wrote:Whole lotta shakin goin on!

Seriously. Hold on to your large furry floppy flappy hat thingamajigs that all of you wear. Stay safe!
[right][snapback]89550[/snapback][/right]

I think that all of the big noise is about the technology that allows them to recognize subtle seismic shifts over long periods of time. We've known that we're 'going to get a big one soon' for years. Unfortunately, there is at least one city (from what I understand), Richmond, in the area that could be in trouble due to the fact that it is close to sea level and built on unstable ground of some sort. However, my brother, who is taking structural engineering assures me that all local construction for 10+ years has been taken on with earthquake codes in mind.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Doc,Sep 18 2005, 08:03 AM Wrote:Whole lotta shakin goin on!

[right][snapback]89550[/snapback][/right]

The whole time I lived in Italy, some of the local seismologists would cry wolf over the fact that 'Vesuvius is over due to erupt due to this arcane fact of seismology . . ."

Vesuvio remians an enigma, on geological time. It could blow tomorrow, or in 2112. It last erupted substantially in 1944.

Shakes, quakes and volcanoes are on a less predictable schedule than hurricanes, so far.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 18 2005, 11:33 PM Wrote:The whole time I lived in Italy, some of the local seismologists would cry wolf over the fact that 'Vesuvius is over due to erupt due to this arcane fact of seismology . . ."

Vesuvio remians an enigma, on geological time.  It could blow tomorrow, or in 2112.  It last erupted substantially in 1944.

Shakes, quakes and volcanoes are on a less predictable schedule than hurricanes, so far.

Occhi
[right][snapback]89619[/snapback][/right]

Krakatoa or whatever it's called... It's been showing some major activity too.

Scary!
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,Sep 18 2005, 08:33 PM Wrote:...Vesuvio remians an enigma, . ... It last erupted substantially in 1944. ...[right][snapback]89619[/snapback][/right]
Only because Captain America had to knock out a top-secret research complex that was hidden there and still under Fascist control.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Sep 18 2005, 10:54 PM Wrote:Only because Captain America had to knock out a top-secret research complex that was hidden there and still under Fascist control.
[right][snapback]89628[/snapback][/right]

True enough, the environmentally insensitive cad! :)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete