Pie
Our pie thread got locked. That makes me sad.

Everybody share pie recipes. I shared my pinto bean pie... What do yawl make?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Lacking any other sort of cooking device, I am now limited to microwave pie. Microwaving is a decent way to heat up already-baked pie, but it's really not the best way to bake the pie in the first place. It doesn't really work with any kind of pie, but it works best with peach and worst with pumpkin and cherry.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Sep 13 2005, 08:51 PM Wrote:Lacking any other sort of cooking device, I am now limited to microwave pie.  Microwaving is a decent way to heat up already-baked pie, but it's really not the best way to bake the pie in the first place.  It doesn't really work with any kind of pie, but it works best with peach and worst with pumpkin and cherry.
[right][snapback]89130[/snapback][/right]

BAH HUMBUG.

Don't need to bake anything.

Pina Colada Cream Pie.

2 packages jello coconut cream pudding, prepared according to pie directions. Pour that in to a 9 inch graham cracker crust shell. Top with crushed pineapple with all the juice drained. Top with shredded coconut. Top with whipped cream.

Serve after allowing to set in the fridge for about an hour.

If you make it with skim milk (yuck) and low fat non dairy whipped topping, and use sugar free pudding mix, it's low cal, low fat, low sugar, and you can eat a sinfully good desert with out having to worry about thunder thighs.

You don't have to have an oven to have delicious pie.

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Sep 13 2005, 10:09 PM Wrote:BAH HUMBUG.

Don't need to bake anything.

Pina Colada Cream Pie.

2 packages jello coconut cream pudding, prepared according to pie directions. Pour that in to a 9 inch graham cracker crust shell. Top with crushed pineapple with all the juice drained. Top with shredded coconut. Top with whipped cream.

Serve after allowing to set in the fridge for about an hour.

If you make it with skim milk (yuck) and low fat non dairy whipped topping, and use sugar free pudding mix, it's low cal, low fat, low sugar, and you can eat a sinfully good desert with out having to worry about thunder thighs.

You don't have to have an oven to have delicious pie.
[right][snapback]89133[/snapback][/right]

But I would need a somewhat larger refrigerator. I couldn't fit the pie around the stuff in my fridge right now, and I can't move any of it.
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
Lady Vashj,Sep 13 2005, 09:13 PM Wrote:But I would need a somewhat larger refrigerator.  I couldn't fit the pie around the stuff in my fridge right now, and I can't move any of it.
[right][snapback]89135[/snapback][/right]

Then apply math skills, and prepare about 1/4 (or less, not sure) of one package of pudding mix. Put the rest in to a ziplock bag to keep it fresh.

Pour mix in to a mini pie shell, about 3 inches.

Get a cooler and fill it full of freezer packs. It will keep a pie for a good long while.

PIE. Make no excuses. There is always room for pie. It is a nurturing soul food that everybody needs every once and a while. It keeps the spirits up and is a small but valuable creature comfort in dark times.

With out pie, life is empty.

That is the one constant in my fridge. There is almost always, with out fail, some sort of pie or cheesecake sitting in there. Might be pinto bean pie, might be a pecan pie, might be a cherry pie, might be a blueberry walnut pie, or it could be a cherry cheesecake. Lately, there has been a hell of a lot of sweet potato pie in there. One can never have to much sweet tater pie. It is physically impossible.

Making the pie is theraputic, and self rewarding. Having pie around, even a mini pie, greatly improves your social life. Friends like having friends that can make pie. For whatever reason. Friends in trouble like to be comforted with pie. In college, when youth are far from home, pie is a taste of home, a reminder. Men are attracted to women that can make pies. Women go start raving bananas for a man that can make pie, and a good piece of cheesecake will get you in to a woman's drawers right quick.

There are a million reasons to keep a pie around.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Lady Vashj,Sep 13 2005, 08:51 PM Wrote:Lacking any other sort of cooking device, I am now limited to microwave pie.  Microwaving is a decent way to heat up already-baked pie, but it's really not the best way to bake the pie in the first place.  It doesn't really work with any kind of pie, but it works best with peach and worst with pumpkin and cherry.
[right][snapback]89130[/snapback][/right]

Works well with apple pie. Make the crust with cookie crumbs, use applesauce, apples, cinnamon and sugar and heat it up.

It comes out very nice for microwave pie.

Cheers,

Munk
I have a recipe for a seafood alfredo pie, but it's more of a deep-dish pizza. I'll wait until the next pizza recipe topic rolls around before I unleash this bastard.
DeeBye,Sep 13 2005, 10:51 PM Wrote:I have a recipe for a seafood alfredo pie, but it's more of a deep-dish pizza.  I'll wait until the next pizza recipe topic rolls around before I unleash this bastard.
[right][snapback]89147[/snapback][/right]

Pizza is technically a savoury pie. By definition of course.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Sep 13 2005, 11:56 PM Wrote:Pizza is technically a savoury pie. By definition of course.
[right][snapback]89148[/snapback][/right]

HOT DAMN!

The first thing you will need is a nice dough ball. I won't give you a recipe for good dough, but you will want something yeasty and heavy for this dish. Dough that will make a nice italian loaf will be perfect.

The second thing you will need is a batch of alfredo sauce. Google around a bit. Be sure to avoid the instant crap. Butter, cream, garlic, cracked black pepper, and grated cheese is the only true way to a good alfredo.

For the seafood part I recommend scallop, shrimp, crab, and lobster. Other seafoods are certainly welcome.

Preparation:

Preheat an oven to something really hot. Choose the temperature just below broil.

Grease a deep-sided round baking dish. I have a corningware dish I use for this purpose. Rectangular or square dishes don't work all that well because the corners will get burned.

Work the yeasty dough into the round deep dish pan. Push out all of the air bubbles. You want to create a dense crust. Brush the crust with vegegable oil to prevent burning at the edges. Sprinkle with shredded cheese or thin slices of provolone and insert into the oven for about 8 minutes. You want to half-cook the crust to get it ready for the rest of the toppings. A layer of melted cheese at the bottom of the dough before the upcoming additions is mandatory.

Let the half-cooked crust rest for a few minutes before the next step. Cool it to room temperature if possible.

Pour in the alfredo sauce. Assuming you have the vertical space, I'd recommend about 1/4 inch or so. You want enough alfredo sauce to crawl up to about a third of the way to the top of the deep dish.

Now is the time for the toppings. Be sure that your seafood is bite sized. I also like thinly sliced mushrooms and some diced onions in my seafood alfredo, but you can go without. The toppings are going to poach in the alfredo sauce, so be sure that they are cut thinly enough to get fully cooked.

Top the whole damn thing with a million pounds of shredded mozzeralla. The theme of this recipe is "cheese cheese and more cheese". If it doesn't obstruct your bowels, you've done something wrong.

The dish is done when the cheese reaches a temperature just shy of lava. I usually take it out of the oven when the top layer of cheese is a nice shade of tan brown, with little bits of bubbling alfredo sneaking through. Insert a food thermometer if you are antsy. Anything over 150° is great.

Let the pie stand after you take it out of the oven. If possible, let it stand for a half hour. It will stay hot. Melted mozzeralla cheese has an insulation factor of about 3 billion. You do not want to cut into this bad boy right away because the alfredo will be all runny and goopy. You want to allow it to set up.

Greetings.

I don't know any good recipes, nor I have any pie, but I do know a comic that deals with pies. Sort of. I hope you enjoy it. Pie or the comic? Your choice B) .

~Lucky
~Lukki
I have a big round cast iron deep dish pan that would be perfect. Six inches deep and I think sixteen inches wide. It's good for everything. Frying whole chickens, making freakishly large pancakes, and baking giant cakes. I mostly use it for making sweet roles and cheese danishes.

My stove burns wood, not electricity, so temperature below broil would be Hellfires.

I shall have to try that.

I make my own mozzerella. So I can manage that. Alfredo? Check. Seafood? I could swing that, but veggies would work nice as well.

Mmm goat cheese and goat butter.

Thanks!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Sep 13 2005, 11:56 PM Wrote:Pizza is technically a savoury pie. By definition of course.
[right][snapback]89148[/snapback][/right]
Well then. I'm hardly suffering from a pie deficiency, now am I?
Lady Vashj,Sep 14 2005, 07:14 AM Wrote:Well then.  I'm hardly suffering from a pie deficiency, now am I?
[right][snapback]89177[/snapback][/right]

Pie is about balance. Where is your sweet pie?

Sweet and salty. Dry and wet. Chewy and crumbly.

Preserve the balance woman!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
The cafeteria had some nice chocolate pie today.
Doc,Sep 14 2005, 09:12 AM Wrote:Pie is about balance. Where is your sweet pie?

Sweet and salty. Dry and wet. Chewy and crumbly.

Preserve the balance woman!
[right][snapback]89183[/snapback][/right]

Man. That was deep. May I appropriate that for a while?

On the topic, the only thing I look forward to from Sept 1st through the third week of November is pumpkin pie. It is also the only thing that keeps me alive between then and March. Without my autumn store of pumpkin, condensed milk and spices, winter would be fatal. The best way to ward off the feel of cold in winter: another slice of pumpkin pie. I am one of those reasons that women go wild for men who bake: I can't. I can, however, trade dinner for dessert. That's a deal that has been going on since before I got married.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeunemaitre,Sep 15 2005, 08:31 AM Wrote:Man.  That was deep.  May I appropriate that for a while?

On the topic, the only thing I look forward to from Sept 1st through the third week of November is pumpkin pie.  It is also the only thing that keeps me alive between then and March.  Without my autumn store of pumpkin, condensed milk and spices, winter would be fatal.  The best way to ward off the feel of cold in winter: another slice of pumpkin pie.  I am one of those reasons that women go wild for men who bake: I can't.  I can, however, trade dinner for dessert.  That's a deal that has been going on since before I got married.
[right][snapback]89307[/snapback][/right]

Pumpkin pie kicks ass.

I like mine warm. Very very warm. And not with whipped cream, but heavy cream poured over it. And a sprig of mint. Served with a nice cup of coffee. When an odd mood strikes me, I like my pumpkin pie with a dash of fresh crushed black and white pepper. It makes the pumpkin so much sweeter. It's an aquired taste that most people don't seem to like.

Pie really is about balance. The sensation in the mouth. When you bite in to a fruit pie... The fruit part should be wet and the crust dry and flakey. You know that feeling you get in your mouith? You can feel it on your tongue. More than taste, sensation. Your mouth should be confused for a moment. And you should revel in that sensation, let your toes curl and that strange feeling in your cheekbones up along the jaw line. The sauce, the juicy runny dribbly goodness should be sweet... And when you bite in to a cherry or a strawberry and you feel it pop lightly as you bite, there should be some sour.

Last night, I made a turtle bean and sweet potato pie. What are turtle beans? Black beans of course. I know this sounds strange, but man is it delicious. And an odd purple-orange colour. It was going to be for desert, but it turned out to be dinner. Wife and I wiped it all out.

In my mind, I am working out a recipe for a candied jalapeno strawberry pie. The idea struck me after I made an odd batch of jalapeno strawberry jam. Stuff was delicious. So I think a pie would be right tasty.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Sep 15 2005, 09:05 AM Wrote:but heavy cream poured over it
[right][snapback]89311[/snapback][/right]
Oh man, did that hit a strong memory. It isn't pie, so it is sort of a hijack, but it is fruity and desserty. The memory is of a summer day at grandma and grandpa's house. We go out and pick bowls full of raspberries from his rows and rows of canes. Wash them up, pour some heavy cream over them and sprinkle on some sugar. Oh man! Tasty!
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Sep 15 2005, 04:23 PM Wrote:Oh man, did that hit a strong memory.  It isn't pie, so it is sort of a hijack, but it is fruity and desserty.  The memory is of a summer day at grandma and grandpa's house.  We go out and pick bowls full of raspberries from his rows and rows of canes.  Wash them up, pour some heavy cream over them and sprinkle on some sugar.  Oh man!  Tasty!
[right][snapback]89360[/snapback][/right]

I still do that.

I have a big bowl of raspberries right now in the fridge. I just decided what to do with them. Blackberries too.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
The secret to lemon meringue pie is the same one for lemonade— the flavor isn't from the juice, it's in the peel. And sure, you can grate some of that zest off of the peel and mix it in— but there's another way you can tweak those oils out of the peel, thus adding even more lemon flavor.

The sugar you're going to use in the recipe is a pretty nifty dessicant as well. Slice of the lemon peels and bury them in the recipe's portion of sugar for a couple of minutes. The sugar will draw out those aromatic oils, which you'll notice as the sugar becomes slightly damp and crumbly. "Wash" the sugar off with the recipe's liquid stock and discard the peels (the white of the rind is too bitter to use, which is why it's important to grate the peel shallow so as to avoid grating the rind into the recipe as well).

The lemon flavoring is thus brought in by the juice, the grated peel you did mix in, and through the sugar as well.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Sep 15 2005, 11:04 PM Wrote:The secret to lemon meringue pie is the same one for lemonade— the flavor isn't from the juice, it's in the peel. And sure, you can grate some of that zest off of the peel and mix it in— but there's another way you can tweak those oils out of the peel, thus adding even more lemon flavor.

The sugar you're going to use in the recipe is a pretty nifty dessicant as well. Slice of the lemon peels and bury them in the recipe's portion of sugar for a couple of minutes. The sugar will draw out those aromatic oils, which you'll notice as the sugar becomes slightly damp and crumbly. "Wash" the sugar off with the recipe's liquid stock and discard the peels (the white of the rind is too bitter to use, which is why it's important to grate the peel shallow so as to avoid grating the rind into the recipe as well).

The lemon flavoring is thus brought in by the juice, the grated peel you did mix in, and through the sugar as well.
[right][snapback]89392[/snapback][/right]

I just learned something about cooking. This doesn't happen often. Don't take that the wrong way.

I am very impressed!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."