I need help
My mother board fried. The HD and the rest are OK. It is/was a P4 Titan875 P GA-*IK1100 moboard. I liked it. It was good to me.

I had just bought recently 2 gig of ram, DDR 400 for very little, and the E Ge Force 6200/256 MB gfx card for 59 bucks. AGP 8X port for that card is required.

What I need is a mother board to put them into, just glad I hadn't got around to it when the moboard went south, as it ate two RAM sticks along the way.

So, what old fashioned Mo Board ought I buy, a bit newer than the Titan P4 875 that I cannot seem to find on any web site selling mo boards ( figured eBay, but all they have is some plate for the back end ...)

I don't need something new and fancy. I just want a mo board similar to my dear Titan, so I can plug in my RAM sticks and my new fangles video card, get my old CD ROm and HD attached to it, and be my !@#*&$^%^$#$(# ing primary PC back up and running.

Anyone with a quick bit of advice? I am on a budget here. Tis an unexpected expense, as was the 900+ transmission problem last week in the car.

I found this at SAI TEch. BLKD865GBF / BLKD865GBFL / BLKD865GBFLK Seems to be MFG number, not much help.

Intel ATX P4 Motherboard 800FSB DDR400 AGP8X SATA 865G Video Pro/1000 LAN

I think all my old drives will work on it.

It has the intel 865G chipset, which looks to me like a downgrade.:P

AGP info confuses me:

AGP Connector / AGP 3.0 / (4X & 8X Speed 1.5 and 0.8 Volt Only)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
You aren't likely to find any 875P chipsets, or anything "a bit newer" with an AGP slot. 8 series was the last AGP Intel Platform, anything newer will be PCI-express. 875 was the "performance" version of the chipset and 865 the more budget oriented version. Since anyone remotely seeking performance will not have an AGP card, that one has been discontinued for some time.

865 is very, very similar to the 875 and when these chipsets were "the thing" many budget conscious, but performance oriented folk would still buy an 865 chipset because the performance differences were minimal (865PE and 875P were actually the same piece of silicon, just the 875P would tend to overclock better). You should be fine with an 865 (G or PE both support 8x AGP and will operate your video card fine.)
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
The thread title goes without saying... :P

You might want to try Pricewatch as they have a large number of companies that advertise through them and some tend to have old items still lying around. You could also try EBay, but caveat emptor with that.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:You aren't likely to find any 875P chipsets, or anything "a bit newer" with an AGP slot. 8 series was the last AGP Intel Platform, anything newer will be PCI-express. 875 was the "performance" version of the chipset and 865 the more budget oriented version. Since anyone remotely seeking performance will not have an AGP card, that one has been discontinued for some time.

865 is very, very similar to the 875 and when these chipsets were "the thing" many budget conscious, but performance oriented folk would still buy an 865 chipset because the performance differences were minimal (865PE and 875P were actually the same piece of silicon, just the 875P would tend to overclock better). You should be fine with an 865 (G or PE both support 8x AGP and will operate your video card fine.)
Thanks. That answered my question.

@ LIssa. I looked at Pricewatch and Ebay both, and a whole bunch of other stuff on the web. In short, nothing there I had any faith in, nor any interest in "bidding" on from someone in Hong Kong and maybe getting it in 5-7 days, or not.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Thanks. That answered my question.

@ LIssa. I looked at Pricewatch and Ebay both, and a whole bunch of other stuff on the web. In short, nothing there I had any faith in, nor any interest in "bidding" on from someone in Hong Kong and maybe getting it in 5-7 days, or not.

Occhi

You will spend more one looking for old AGP items than if you looked for current generation items. Trust me... I have a computer I built myself - every single component - and was shocked to hear every item in it was an outdated "dinosaur" only 5-years later. PCI-Express is the 'only', and cheapest way to go in this day and age. You will probably spend less money getting a new motherboard and compatible PCI-express video card than a new AGI supported motherboard and video card. I was dismayed to see almost the exact same computer as the one I built for $2,200.00 USD selling at Frys Electronics for under $350.00 in less than 5-years. Don't understatement the power of technological growth.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Anyone with a quick bit of advice? I am on a budget here.
Quick search on Newegg found they have 1 MB listed that still has an AGP slot: link. Not the 865 you were looking for, but it has a PCIe slot in case you decide to upgrade from AGP to PCIe sometime in the future. As for being able to run all your old drives, it's got 2 PATA (aka the old IDE stuff) ports (aka 4 devices) and 2 SATA ports, so unless you have more than 4 PATA devices to connect, it should work for you. Also Core 2 compatable, which gives you another future upgrade path.

Only concerns about that one is there seem to be a few shipping DOA, and the PCIe slot is only 4x, which is kinda pointless since every graphics card these days is 16x.

Another thing worth considering is buying a newer MB with integrated graphics. The modern IGP boards will probably work better than the AGP card you have and aren't really all that much more expensive (they're $70-90). The downside to that would be you'd need new memory (DDR2 is insanely cheap - under $25 for a 2GB kit) and a SATA hard drive (also cheap - $50 will get you 250GB at 7200RPM or 500GB at 5400RPM). Although that's also where it gets a bit complicated since modern boards only have 1 PATA slot (aka 2 devices). The trick here is to get your system up and running on the new HD (prob need to have the CD drives hooked up), then copy everything from the old HDs onto the new one (assuming you have space, not sure how big those old ones are), then take them out and put the optical drives on the PATA. Of course, the other option is to buy a $20 SATA DVD drive, but that is another expense.

Basically, if you're looking for a new MB and processor anyway, getting an AGP compatable board with a cheap Core 2 will cost roughly $120 and buying the new board, CPU, memory and SATA HD would be in the neighborhood of $240. So basically double the price, but you'd also be able to sell the parts you won't need from the old system (the memory and graphics card) for some money back. Also, the newer board with integrated graphics will have a lower power requirement than a system using a discrete graphics card, which lowers your power bill, and is also something worth considering.

Your choice, just thought I'd throw a couple other options out there.

Of course, any upgrade could prove pointless if your copy of Windows isn't retail and won't transfer to a new MB...

Quote:AGP info confuses me:

AGP Connector / AGP 3.0 / (4X & 8X Speed 1.5 and 0.8 Volt Only)
That's just something to tell you that they don't want you putting an older card in there. In other words, it won't run a 1x or 2x card, but your 8x will be fine.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Thanks to you each, I have already had in the works, with an eye to Starcraft 2 and Diablo III, a leap into the iChips on Gigabytes newer boards. What is critical for me is to have a set up that my Windows XP Pro HD and all my crap will run on, for a while, so my wife has her stuff and I don't have to be arsed with a lot of time consuming events teaching her something new. That is worth money to me.

I have a board and processor in the mail, 300 bucks, which keeps me in business for the next six months before I get a completely new rig, ground up, with a pretty new MoBoard. I will probably ask for some ideas i October, as I am mulling over what I want and what I want to spend on it.

Current "next purchase" is the laptop for my son, senior in hight school, that should take him into third or fourht year of college.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Thanks to you each, I have already had in the works, with an eye to Starcraft 2 and Diablo III, a leap into the iChips on Gigabytes newer boards. What is critical for me is to have a set up that my Windows XP Pro HD and all my crap will run on, for a while, so my wife has her stuff and I don't have to be arsed with a lot of time consuming events teaching her something new. That is worth money to me.

I have a board and processor in the mail, 300 bucks, which keeps me in business for the next six months before I get a completely new rig, ground up, with a pretty new MoBoard. I will probably ask for some ideas i October, as I am mulling over what I want and what I want to spend on it.

Current "next purchase" is the laptop for my son, senior in hight school, that should take him into third or fourht year of college.

Occhi

Right now I'm in wait and hold to see what happens with the new LGA 1156 coming from Intel on whether it will have legs and will be around for a good while to come or whether it will eventually die off with upcoming die shrink and additional processor cores being added into the CPU package. I need Intel to give more information about this to determine whether the next rig will go with LGA 1366 or LGA 1156 (1156 is the more budget friendly, but the core i7s are also looking at using LGA 1156 along with LGA 1366). Atleast I have till late October to really start looking at a decision when Windows 7 comes out (will probably also be the time when Nvidia and ATI-AMD come out with the next generation of video cards as well).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Right now I'm in wait and hold to see what happens with the new LGA 1156 coming from Intel on whether it will have legs and will be around for a good while to come or whether it will eventually die off with upcoming die shrink and additional processor cores being added into the CPU package. I need Intel to give more information about this to determine whether the next rig will go with LGA 1366 or LGA 1156 (1156 is the more budget friendly, but the core i7s are also looking at using LGA 1156 along with LGA 1366). Atleast I have till late October to really start looking at a decision when Windows 7 comes out (will probably also be the time when Nvidia and ATI-AMD come out with the next generation of video cards as well).

the 1156 platform is going to last a while. THe P55 chipset (primary chipset focusing on LGA1156) is targeting for mobos in the low $100 range with this platform. The mobo is usually a very significant cost of the LGA1366 platform, and real world benchmarks have shown how little the performance gain is by ading the third memory channel to an LGA1366 board.

P55 will be the "Core ix" platform for the masses. I wouldn't buy an i7 until P55 is selling in volume.

I never really considered Core i7 in it's current incarnation. I've never paid $200 for a mobo, and I ain't starting now. I've also never paid more than about $150 for a processor, and that one was sometime in the 90s.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.