iPod nano
The new iPod nano.

Doesn't strike me as particularly revolutionary, but it does look pretty neat. The 4 gigabyte one in particular should be a nice replacement for the mini. Bit pricey though, even for apple.

I am rather surprised they did away with the colours though. The pink iPod was incredibly popular with the ladies.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Sep 7 2005, 07:56 PM Wrote:The new iPod nano.

Doesn't strike me as particularly revolutionary, but it does look pretty neat.  The 4 gigabyte one in particular should be a nice replacement for the mini.  Bit pricey though, even for apple.

I am rather surprised they did away with the colours though.  The pink iPod was incredibly popular with the ladies.

gekko
[right][snapback]88577[/snapback][/right]

So were battery operated vibrators, in the 1970's. Not sure I get your point. :blink:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 7 2005, 09:07 PM Wrote:Not sure I get your point.
[right][snapback]88578[/snapback][/right]
Sure you do. You just saw a good opening to reference battery operated vibrators! ;) :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Sep 7 2005, 09:26 PM Wrote:Sure you do.  You just saw a good opening to reference battery operated vibrators!  ;)  :lol:
[right][snapback]88579[/snapback][/right]

Right, and we both know how appealing openings for battery operated vibrators are . . . :lol:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 7 2005, 11:02 PM Wrote:Right, and we both know how appealing openings for battery operated vibrators are . . .  :lol:
[right][snapback]88580[/snapback][/right]
Wow, did I ever walk into that one! :blush: :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Sep 8 2005, 12:10 AM Wrote:Wow, did I ever walk into that one!   :blush:  :lol:
[right][snapback]88581[/snapback][/right]

I think the original question was about the incremental appeal of pink. Such a device appeals to people regardless of the color, and apparently Apple decided that the increased cost/annoyance to manufacture and manage a suuply chain for multiple colors wasn't worth the incremental sales they got for having color options. Besides, at some point, they'll probably reveal that the faceplate can be removed and replaced with an Apple lisenced after market upgrade faceplate.

edit: pay no attention, nothing here to see
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeunemaitre,Sep 8 2005, 06:03 AM Wrote:If you're walking in, you might want to rethink your approach.

I think the original question was about the incremental appeal of pink.  [right][snapback]88591[/snapback][/right]

Hugh Hefner answered that question, or rather bowed down to its power, in about 1978.

Occhi

OK, I'll stop.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 8 2005, 10:30 AM Wrote:Hugh Hefner answered that question, or rather bowed down to its power, in about 1978.

Occhi

OK, I'll stop.
[right][snapback]88595[/snapback][/right]

Pink it´s my new obsession
Pink it´s not even a question
Pink on the lips of your lover, ´cause
Pink is the love you discover
Pink as the bing on your cherry
Pink ´cause you are so very
Pink it´s the color of passion
`Cause today it just goes with the fashion
Pink it was love at first sight, yea
Pink when I turn out the light, and
Pink gets me high as a kite
And I think everything is going to be all right
No matter what we do tonight
You could be my flamingo
´Coz pink is the new kinda lingo
Pink like a deco umbrella
It´s kink - but you don´t ever tell her
Pink it was love at first sight
Pink when I turn out the light
Pink gets me high as a kite
I want to be your lover
I wanna wrap you in rubber
As pink as the sheets that we lay on
Pink is my favorite crayon, yeah
Pink it was love at first sight
Pink when I turn out the light
Pink it´s like red but not quite
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
gekko,Sep 7 2005, 05:56 PM Wrote:The new iPod nano.

Doesn't strike me as particularly revolutionary...
Consider that it won't be much thicker than the collar of the headphone jack you'll plug into it, and it's revolutionary enough.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,Sep 8 2005, 04:43 PM Wrote:Consider that it won't be much thicker than the collar of the headphone jack you'll plug into it, and it's revolutionary enough.
[right][snapback]88630[/snapback][/right]
I'm a little confused by the issue of headphones on this little jewel. If you go to their site, there is a photo gallery. One shows what is apparently the included headphones, combining the ear pieces and a neck strap, which connect with a long flat connector. Another picture shows what appears to be a standard headphone connector. A standard connector would limit how thin they could go. To have a lump from a standard jack would have detracted from the sleek design if they had gone thinner.

[edit] are? is?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Why get an overpriced iPod when you can get this? It comes with a color screen, carrying case, earbuds...all standard. I'm thinking of getting one.

Best of all it's cheaper than an iPod.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Sep 8 2005, 07:39 PM Wrote:Why get an overpriced iPod when you can get this?  It comes with a color screen, carrying case, earbuds...all standard. I'm thinking of getting one.

Best of all it's cheaper than an iPod.
[right][snapback]88646[/snapback][/right]

3 reasons: the interface, the integration with iTunes, and the fact that it's an iPod.

The last reason is obviously the thinnest, but for many people, it's the only reason that matters. People who don't know what an mp3 player is go looking for an iPod.

The first two reasons are more substantial. I've played around with that little iRiver player, and just wasn't impressed. It uses a touch sensitive touchpad area - similar in use to the click wheel on the iPods - but it just doesn't work as well. For moving through menus and small numbers of songs, it's ok, but you really feel the limitation when looking through a hundred, two hundred, five hundred songs. Pictures are even worse (I will point out that I don't consider the iPod photo to be a good photo viewer - but it is better at it than this particular iRiver model). The iTunes integration is also really nice, particularly when you have hundreds or thousands of songs. Drag and drop works but it's just not nice to use. The reason I love using my iPod is that it just works, without any work on my part.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
I really like the price point of the iPod Shuffle, but why the heck does it not come with even a simplistic LCD screen? 512MB of music is great, but how is one supposed to be able to browse the tracks? Not that this has anything whatsoever to do with the iPod Nano.

If I was in the market for an MP3 player right now, I'd really lean towards an RCA Lyra or anything else that has an expansion slot for additional SD memory. It strikes me as just being more convenient to have the ability to save songs to several SD cards and just plug them in.
DeeBye,Sep 8 2005, 10:38 PM Wrote:I really like the price point of the iPod Shuffle, but why the heck does it not come with even a simplistic LCD screen?  512MB of music is great, but how is one supposed to be able to browse the tracks?  Not that this has anything whatsoever to do with the iPod Nano.

If I was in the market for an MP3 player right now, I'd really lean towards an RCA Lyra or anything else that has an expansion slot for additional SD memory.  It strikes me as just being more convenient to have the ability to save songs to several SD cards and just plug them in.
[right][snapback]88655[/snapback][/right]

I own an iPod, and I also have a 128 mb mp3 player similar to the shuffle - built in rechargable battery, no display, very simple controls. I received the small player free as a prize at work, and have used it far more than I originally expected to. I particularly enjoy it at the gym, or anytime I want to carry some music with me but don't feel like carrying a $380 (CAN) mp3 player. At the gym, I simply don't care what song is playing. By removing the LCD screen, apple cuts down the size, weight and power consumption of the player considerably.

Keep in mind that even with their "bare-bones" lineup, apple sets its aim primarily on the higher end of the market. The new iPod nano is a perfect example - the 2 gb version is priced at the same point as most companys' 5 gb players, many of which include an FM tuner, voice recorder and other such extras. The iPod shuffles were cheap for the ammount of memory when they were released, but this is no longer the case. Off the top of my head, I can think of 4 or 5 players with 512 mb of memory priced at or below the price of the small iPod shuffle. All but one of those players has a screen, and most offer something else the shuffle does not - expandable memory, fm tuner, voice recorder. If you want those features, you have to jump up to the mini and now to the nano.

gekko
gekko,Sep 8 2005, 02:56 AM Wrote:The new iPod nano.

Doesn't strike me as particularly revolutionary, but it does look pretty neat.  The 4 gigabyte one in particular should be a nice replacement for the mini.  Bit pricey though, even for apple.
[right][snapback]88577[/snapback][/right]

Considering what 4GB Flash memory cost when buying them without a player built around (200-400 $) it isn't that expensive.