Stupid Question on Connection Issues
So I'm sitting here in the library at school poaching internet and I tried to log into WoW. First I found out my school is using proxy settings so I was finally able to access regular web surfing but WoW still doesn't seem able to connect. Everything else seems to be working correctly and I'm too tired at the moment to think straight so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I might go about connecting. The school also uses a Bluesocket connection thing on their wireless networks. (www.bluesocket.com is their website) I've only connected on a regular router without all the login and proxy BS so I was curious if there was an easy solution that I'm missing. Thanks.

I hope to be able to pass my 2-3 hour breaks doing something more productive than watching the clock :w00t:

I'm wondering if they have some sort of block. I ran a tracert and came up with this
Code:
Tracing route to 12.129.133.92 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     3 ms     2 ms     1 ms  172.16.17.1

Every hop after the first timed out.
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
They may have firewalled everything but the 'legitimate' ports for web browsing and maybe SSH and telnet and FTP to the outside world.
/cry
Well off to class for now.
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
Arethor,Sep 7 2005, 06:15 PM Wrote:/cry
Well off to class for now.[right][snapback]88518[/snapback][/right]

That kind of traceroute behavior usually indicates a firewall which has been misconfigured to the point of uselessness. It's probably dropping incoming ICMP error messages, so traceroute never gets the response it was expecting.

If you really want to know what ports are accessible, you could try portscanning some host you know the properties of. Nmap is an excellent tool for such endeavors. That said, most administrators have this strange idea that there is no legitimate use for portscanners and will become quite annoying if they catch you using one. The nmap site has an excellent T-shirt image (which, according to the Propaganda page, is for sale in T-shirt and bumper sticker forms from http://www.americansushi.com/) to wear if you're feeling political. You might want to wait on portscanning until after your degree has been issued.

As for passing the time between classes - you could bring along a novel, take one of the library's chairs, and spend the time reading and relaxing.