What's the ideal Unique weapon for an Act 2 merc?
I am running around in the current ladder with a summoning Necro, accompanied by an Act 2 Might merc. I've had some really good luck finding the Unique Elite Polearms/Spears doing solo Hell Baal crawls, so now I am wondering which one is best.

I know that the uber runewords kick the arses of any of the Uniques, but the highest rune I've found so far is a lowly Io. I'm going to be sticking to Uniques until I get a few more lucky rune drops.

So far I have found Bonehew, Reaper's Toll, Arioc's Needle, and Steel Pillar. My merc was using Reaper's Toll until I found the Steel Pillar, but the Crushing Blow was just too much to pass up. It cut my Hell Baal killing time by 2/3rds. My merc is presently equipped with the Steel Pillar.

Since the only thing that slows a summoning Necro down is act bosses, would it be worth my while to trade for/find an ethereal Hone Sundan and upgrade it to a Ghost Spear? I can get more Crushing Blow and three sockets for Amns and Shaels.
DeeBye,Sep 3 2005, 11:51 PM Wrote:an ethereal Hone Sundan and upgrade it to a Ghost Spear?  I can get more Crushing Blow and three sockets for Amns and Shaels.
[right][snapback]88197[/snapback][/right]

Oh yes, that would be lovely. I have a unique ogre axe on a pre 1.11 merc, the one that shoots bone spears every few jabs. Wish it were ethereal.

Handy.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Sep 4 2005, 03:11 AM Wrote:Oh yes, that would be lovely.  I have a unique ogre axe on a pre 1.11 merc, the one that shoots bone spears every few jabs. Wish it were ethereal.

Handy.

Occhi
[right][snapback]88204[/snapback][/right]

I was looking at an attack speed calculator, and I was assuming than an Act 2 merc was using a Yari/Ghost Spear. I noticed a negligible difference between 0% IAS and 60% IAS (1, 2, or 3 Shaels). I am almost tempted to put three Amns in a Hone Sundan and use a Guillaume's Face for an additional 35% Crushing Blow. That would make mincemeat out of any Act boss, and 21% life leech would keep my merc happy.
DeeBye,Sep 4 2005, 11:50 PM Wrote:I was looking at an attack speed calculator, and I was assuming than an Act 2 merc was using a Yari/Ghost Spear.  I noticed a negligible difference between 0% IAS and 60% IAS (1, 2, or 3 Shaels).  I am almost tempted to put three Amns in a Hone Sundan and use a Guillaume's Face for an additional 35% Crushing Blow.  That would make mincemeat out of any Act boss, and 21% life leech would keep my merc happy.
[right][snapback]88286[/snapback][/right]

Also makes your merc darn near immortal.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Sep 6 2005, 12:54 PM Wrote:Also makes your merc darn near immortal.
[right][snapback]88406[/snapback][/right]
not with lame AI and undead and 5% of your normal leech off of hell monsters. But maybe I just have bad luck with my mercs.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Doc,Sep 6 2005, 12:54 PM Wrote:Also makes your merc darn near immortal.
[right][snapback]88406[/snapback][/right]

This is the stuff that I like to hear :)
Well, I found a Hone Sundan and upgraded it to a Ghost Spear. It has a dex req of 163 and my lvl 86 merc only had 151, so I had to use a -15% req jewel to be able to equip it. I used Amns in the last two slots.

Here's a screenshot.

[Image: screenshot0055nn.jpg]

The damage is kinda low, but the Crushing Blow more than makes up for it. I still wish it was ethereal though. My merc does 668-2895 damage using it (with might aura activated).

His other equipment is a non-eth Duriel's Shell and a non-eth Guillaume's Face. Resists are 70/75/70/70.

He fares okay in Hell/ActV. 14% life leech keeps him alive nicely. He outright SHINES versus Hell Baal though. With a Clay Golem and a dose of Decrepify to keep Baal moving slowly, my merc can stand toe to toe with him indefinitely. 45% + 35% Crushing Blow takes huge chunks off of his life in short order. The fight is over in less than 30 seconds, with my lowly skeletons pitching in.

I can definitely see a lot of room for improvement, but I am convinced that this is the way to go with a Summoning Necro's mercenary.