Is there any way to resurrect this computer?
My brother-in-law dumped an old computer on my lap and asked me to get it running again. The problem is that I cannot seem to get it to recognise an attached keyboard.

[Image: blah4pt.th.jpg]
(click for a big image)

The specs of this old thing is thusly put:
-Cyrix II 333
-112 MB RAM
-4 GB hdd

I cannot boot to any opertating system other than the installed Win 98se in Safe Mode. I cannot use the keyboard to change boot order, because it doesn't work. I cannot find another keyboard that uses the really big connection that was prevalent during the Pentium 1 days. I am assuming that the keyboard is not broken and it's a Windows error, but I'm just guessing.

The serial mouse works just fine.

I just want to be able to install Windows 98se from CD. I cannot do this, because the boot order specified in the BIOS won't allow it, and I can't change it because I cannot get a keyboard to work with this %#$*^%_P(* uter!

Any ideas?
You might check around with Goodwill/Salvation Army/Flea Markets and see if they have any old keyboards laying around.

If you have a digital multimeter and can get some technical specs for the pinouts you might be able to test the ports. I'm afraid I know more about automotive electrical systems than PC hardware.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I suggest slapping him silly for wanting to use that PC.
Ghostiger,Sep 2 2005, 02:26 AM Wrote:I suggest slapping him silly for wanting to use that PC.
[right][snapback]87996[/snapback][/right]

I'd like to, but my he is my wife's brother :)
jahcs,Sep 2 2005, 02:21 AM Wrote:You might check around with Goodwill/Salvation Army/Flea Markets and see if they have any old keyboards laying around.
[right][snapback]87995[/snapback][/right]

Done this, but no good. No one keeps old keyboards where I live (other than my mother-in-law, who supplied my with a sweet ps2 IBM keyboard).
DeeBye,Sep 2 2005, 07:05 AM Wrote:I just want to be able to install Windows 98se from CD.  I cannot do this, because the boot order specified in the BIOS won't allow it, and I can't change it because I cannot get a keyboard to work with this %#$*^%_P(* uter!
[right][snapback]87993[/snapback][/right]

Give this a shot:

http://www.cables4computer.com/products/in...groupcode=I0076
The keyboard is IBM PC/XT/AT style, and as you guessed pre-PS/2.

Keyboard adapters

Installing OS from that time period required making a boot floppy that enabled the CD-ROM drive (contains the drivers, and entries in Config.sys and/or Autoexec.bat).

Windows Boot Disks
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Sep 2 2005, 05:00 AM Wrote:The keyboard is IBM PC/XT/AT style, and as you guessed pre-PS/2. 

Keyboard adapters

Installing OS from that time period required making a boot floppy that enabled the CD-ROM drive (contains the drivers, and entries in Config.sys and/or Autoexec.bat).

Windows Boot Disks
[right][snapback]88010[/snapback][/right]

I have the correct keyboard type. I'm positive it works just fine.

A floppy boot disk won't help me, because the present boot order is set to hdd>floppy>cd-rom, and I can't use the keyboard to change it.

Another thing I should note is that when I got the computer, the floppy drive was crammed full of fridge magenets courtesy of my sweet little cousins. The floppy drive resides right above the hdd. Is it possible that these magnets messed the OS install enough to cause the computer to not accept a keyboard?
If you unplug the hard drive is the bios smart enough to check for a boot floppy (in an undamaged drive you swap in ;) )?
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
DeeBye,Sep 2 2005, 07:28 AM Wrote:I have the correct keyboard type.  I'm positive it works just fine.
In case you ever do want to change it.
DeeBye,Sep 2 2005, 07:28 AM Wrote:A floppy boot disk won't help me, because the present boot order is set to hdd>floppy>cd-rom, and I can't use the keyboard to change it.
This part confuses me, since at POST time you should be able to mash on a couple keys to get the BIOS to pop-up. Usually, F1, F7, F8, Alt-INS, Del, or something else (Why can't this be standard?)
The boot sequence should be <Power On> --> Bios POST --> bootstrap to the Device List. During the POST the sequence is interuptable by the special keycode.
DeeBye,Sep 2 2005, 07:28 AM Wrote:Another thing I should note is that when I got the computer, the floppy drive was crammed full of fridge magenets courtesy of my sweet little cousins.&nbsp; The floppy drive resides right above the hdd.&nbsp; Is it possible that these magnets messed the OS install enough to cause the computer to not accept a keyboard?
[right][snapback]88021[/snapback][/right]
Expect some corruption. You should be able to remove the HD and add it as a slave to another system and browse the contents, format it, etc,

jahcs' idea of attempting booting without the HD in place would work as a test, but in order to install a new OS, you may need to get into the BIOS settings at POST to change the boot order.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

jahcs,Sep 2 2005, 11:19 AM Wrote:If you unplug the hard drive is the bios smart enough to check for a boot floppy (in an undamaged drive you swap in ;) )?
[right][snapback]88035[/snapback][/right]

No dice. I'm giving up on this thing. It's not worth the effort. Thanks guys.
Hi,

DeeBye,Sep 2 2005, 10:25 AM Wrote:No dice.  I'm giving up on this thing.  It's not worth the effort.  Thanks guys.
[right][snapback]88053[/snapback][/right]
I know you said you're giving up, but if you change your mind: A lot of motherboards have a pair of shorting pins that reset the BIOS to the default. With a 386 vintage machine, that was usually booting from a floppy.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hi,

kandrathe,Sep 2 2005, 08:44 AM Wrote:This part confuses me, since at POST time you should be able to mash on a couple keys to get the BIOS to pop-up.[right][snapback]88038[/snapback][/right]
There's the rub. The keyboard and computer had a spat and now they are not talking to each other.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Is there any way to resurrect this computer?

This might help.

[Image: FN%20Tact%20shotgun.jpg]

Seriously though, keep chipping at it. I haven't found many old clunkers of computers that cannot be refurbished, and often the reason is actual physical damage.

And in such cases... Well, something's always worth salvaging. Nothin' actually beats the feeling of breaking down about seven broken computers into one fully-functioning 'chine and getting paid for it.

Okay, maybe there's something better than that.

If you're going to give up on it, smash it into ickle pieces. Grab a baseball bat, sledgehammer, axe or piano leg and beat it up. Hop into a golf buggy and run it over. Hell, maybe even slap a few pucks at it; see how many slapshots it will take to crack the case and everything inside.

You do have a puck and a hockey stick, right?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Oooh! Oooh! Me! Me! *waves both hands high*

Just got in a new sword, and I need to see if the ITD and Critical Strike components of it are working properly...
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
DeeBye,Sep 2 2005, 01:25 PM Wrote:No dice.&nbsp; I'm giving up on this thing.&nbsp; It's not worth the effort.&nbsp; Thanks guys.
[right][snapback]88053[/snapback][/right]

Thermite the sucker. Just be real careful when you do it.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Sep 9 2005, 06:40 AM Wrote:Thermite the sucker.&nbsp; Just be real careful when you do it.
[right][snapback]88678[/snapback][/right]

Thermite is fun stuff, more contained than White Phosphorus, at least in the military applications I've used. ;)
The Bill of No Rights
DeeBye,Sep 2 2005, 05:28 AM Wrote:Another thing I should note is that when I got the computer, the floppy drive was crammed full of fridge magenets courtesy of my sweet little cousins.&nbsp; The floppy drive resides right above the hdd.&nbsp; Is it possible that these magnets messed the OS install enough to cause the computer to not accept a keyboard?
[right][snapback]88021[/snapback][/right]

This is highly unlikely.

1) field densities are not high enough from that distance, especially with the crappy magnets that are likely used on fridge magnets. If they were Neodymium Iron Boron magnets myabe if the HD was old enough, but I doubt the HD is as old as it needs to be for even NIB magnets to affect it from a couple inches away.

2) It would have to affect the BIOS, not the OS to keep you from using a keyboard.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
This might help. A new project, and useful for more than "repairing" old computers.

[Image: trebucht.jpg]

Thermite is easier than a trebuchet. But then again, once you're done with the thermite, there's nothing left but molten iron and the slaggy remains of your hard drive. A trebuchet can be turned into a tourist attraction, if you can get all the proper licenses and have all your taxes and fees paid.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!