Anybody channel surf?
My roommate is the first person I've run into who actually will flip through several channels in the middle of another show. I don't understand how this works, I tend ot pick one show and watch it through, and pick shows out ahead of time. Am wondering how other people's minds work to get them channel surfing.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Because almost all American telivision is simple and boring.

If Im not using my PC while I watch TV I ussually watch 2 shows at once or scan around while I watch one.
The fews shows I make an effort to watch dont surf during but thers only 2 or 3 - "House", Football and maybe "24".
Minionman,Aug 30 2005, 03:47 PM Wrote:Am wondering how other people's minds work to get them channel surfing.
[right][snapback]87703[/snapback][/right]

I thought that's what commercial breaks were for? B)

I usually will watch a couple of shows will a 3rd channel to fall back on if both other shows end up on commercial at the same time. My wife is starting to get used to it. :P
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I do it too when I'm just watching TV to waste time instead of actually wanting to watch a show.

I tend to only watch the shows a small set of channels, but there are the occasional documentary or movie that play on all the other ones, so I channel surf to see if there's anything like that playing. The TV guide on TV -- say, channel 2 -- takes too long to scroll through the entire list and the box I usually watch isn't hooked up to the digital cable box, and we don't watch enough TV to need buying guides in book form. Unless I'm watching the TV with the digital cable box, channel surfing is the only way to quickly get an idea of what's playing.
Minionman,Aug 31 2005, 12:47 AM Wrote:My roommate is the first person I've run into who actually will flip through several channels in the middle of another show.  I don't understand how this works, I tend ot pick one show and watch it through, and pick shows out ahead of time.  Am wondering how other people's minds work to get them channel surfing.
[right][snapback]87703[/snapback][/right]
My girlfriend does it too. She does all the time if she's watching by herself. I don't understand it either. She doesn't get to see the show in its entirety, and then complains about not knowing what happened. Grrr.

And when we're both watching, she only does it during commercial breaks and we always start arguing because by the time she flips back to the correct channel the show's already been on for a minute. Grrr.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
People are spoiled by having far too many selections :P -- I bet they wouldn't do that if they had to go up and adjust those rabbit ears each time they wanted to watch something on UHF ... :whistling:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Here at school, there is nothing on tv. Sure there are shows, but we only get 42 channels of which I watch ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery, and History. So I channel surf about 3 times to confirm that there is nothing interesting on. But I usually don't watch tv at school, I'm usually playing Counter Strike, doing homework, hanging out with friends, playing Warhammer 40K, sitting at my compouter, or some other similar activity that does not involve watching the moving picture box.

When I go home for breaks I watch tv a lot more because my friends aren't around. We get the satellite at home which is 120 channels of crap, but it's nice because I can hit the "info" button and get a description of the show that is playing. I can't do that at school. At home I usually watch the same channels, but actually stay on because I can see what is playing.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I was never given so much as a channel guide, much less a TV guide. Any place I could buy one is on the wrong side of a very busy street. I have to channel-surf if I'm going to find anything worth watching.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Hi,

Post TiVo, I no longer do much channel surfing except to switch between the local news and CNN while having my morning coffee. However, TiVo has induced me into watching entirely too much TV :wacko:

Pre TiVo, my television watching went something like this: bored, tired, but not sleepy I'd turn the TV on at some random time. I'd surf one or more times through the lineup, finding nothing but commercials and talking heads. I'd turn off the TV, muttering about "junk, wasteland, moronic, etc." Then I'd either go off and read, play a game, or (if the surfing session was especially bad) sleep.

I may get more entertainment with TiVo, but I suspect I lived a better life without it ;)

BTW, Magi hates it when I channel surf. Claims it's tied to the y-chromosome. :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Aug 31 2005, 10:18 AM Wrote:BTW, Magi hates it when I channel surf.  Claims it's tied to the y-chromosome. :)

--Pete
[right][snapback]87786[/snapback][/right]

My better half has a similar view, however, she has become the queen of surf due to her disdain for commercials and her desire to watch movies on the AMC or TNT channels, which are full of commercials.

Since I got back from Over There, I watch a whole lot less TV news. The delta between the soundbyte and reality is too irritating to put up with. With the Cowboys season looking iffy, I expect much less TV in my life this next year.

Purely accidental improvement in my lifestyle. Maybe I should take up Crystal Meth to balance it out . . . nah, too tough on the heart. :P

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
TaMeOlta,Aug 31 2005, 04:26 AM Wrote:People are spoiled by having far too many selections  :P  -- I bet they wouldn't do that if they had to go up and adjust those rabbit ears each time they wanted to watch something on UHF ...  :whistling:
[right][snapback]87742[/snapback][/right]

Aren't the rabbit ears for VHF stations and the cicular antenna for UHF? ;)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Aug 31 2005, 10:38 AM Wrote:Aren't the rabbit ears for VHF stations and the cicular antenna for UHF? ;)
[right][snapback]87790[/snapback][/right]

It's all broadcast to me.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)