You Opera people might like this
http://my.opera.com/community/party/

Opera is celebrating 10 years as a browser, and as a suprise gift they are giving out free registration codes to remove the adbar from their browser. It's been awhile since I've used Opera, so this might be a good time to give it another go.
DeeBye,Aug 30 2005, 05:19 PM Wrote:http://my.opera.com/community/party/

Opera is celebrating 10 years as a browser, and as a suprise gift they are giving out free registration codes to remove the adbar from their browser.  It's been awhile since I've used Opera, so this might be a good time to give it another go.
[right][snapback]87692[/snapback][/right]

I'm trying it now. I'm not really impressed thus far, but I don't really like any of my options. I love firefox but firefox doesn't love me back - it just refuses to load many images for me. Most 'major' pictures from news pages and such are usually fine, but I never see avatars anymore and usually never get images imbedded in threads, either. The only solution I've been able to find has been to uninstall and reinstall firefox entirely, and even that only lasts a week at best. I don't think I have to go into why internet explorer is not an option.

*sigh* I miss safari. I can't wait until I get a powerbook.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Aug 30 2005, 10:14 PM Wrote:I'm trying it now.  I'm not really impressed thus far
[right][snapback]87719[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I've been trying for a bit and I can't say I'm that impressed. It's pretty and it loads webpages really fast, but I cannot customise it the way I want. Opera is incredibly foreign to me. If I had been using it from day 1 I can see how I would love it, but I just can't seem to jump into it at this point. The UI is just to awkward compared to what I am used to.
DeeBye,Aug 30 2005, 11:43 PM Wrote:Yeah, I've been trying for a bit and I can't say I'm that impressed.  It's pretty and it loads webpages really fast, but I cannot customise it the way I want.  Opera is incredibly foreign to me.  If I had been using it from day 1 I can see how I would love it, but I just can't seem to jump into it at this point.  The UI is just to awkward compared to what I am used to.
[right][snapback]87723[/snapback][/right]

Little bit of an update, I suppose.

I've been using Opera all night and it's starting to grow on me - a bit. I still vastly prefer firefox (when it works) and particularly safari, but I think I may be able to live with opera.

Once I downloaded a few skins and customized a few things, I began to find it passable. We'll see. I'm going to try it out for a few days, but I already am certain I prefer it to IE. If firefox remains finicky for me, I think I may stick with this for a while.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
I've been using Opera for as long as I can remember now, and the only qualm I have with this programme is that it sometimes displays the content of websites a bit differently than in IE.

Deebye, what do you mean when you say you can't customise the way you want?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
gekko,Aug 30 2005, 09:14 PM Wrote:I'm trying it now.  I'm not really impressed thus far, but I don't really like any of my options.  I love firefox but firefox doesn't love me back - it just refuses to load many images for me.  Most 'major' pictures from news pages and such are usually fine, but I never see avatars anymore and usually never get images imbedded in threads, either.  The only solution I've been able to find has been to uninstall and reinstall firefox entirely, and even that only lasts a week at best.  I don't think I have to go into why internet explorer is not an option.

*sigh*  I miss safari.  I can't wait until I get a powerbook.

gekko
[right][snapback]87719[/snapback][/right]
Have you tried this?
Click Tools>options>web features. Make sure that "Load Images" is checked, but not "for the originating website only"
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Alram,Aug 31 2005, 06:26 AM Wrote:Have you tried this?
Click Tools>options>web features.  Make sure that "Load Images" is checked, but not "for the originating website only"
[right][snapback]87739[/snapback][/right]

Thank you. I figured it was something that stupid!

Now I only wish I hadn't spent so long fiddling with opera last night. Oh well, had some fun with it at least.

gekko
[wcip]Angel,Aug 31 2005, Wrote:Deebye, what do you mean when you say you can't customise the way you want?
[right][snapback]87728[/snapback][/right]

Just little things, like being able to move the tab bar below the navigation icons and other stuff. I can do all of this with firefox. I looked through the website's help section and couldn't find a thing.
From the Opera page:

Quote:No more free drinks!

Cheers guys, it was a blast! Millions of people (literally) got their free registration code at our party, but the offer is now over.

channel1,Sep 1 2005, 12:07 PM Wrote:From the Opera page:
[right][snapback]87845[/snapback][/right]
You need to register it? SOunds like something M$ would do :blink:
whyBish,Sep 1 2005, 09:34 AM Wrote:You need to register it?  SOunds like something M$ would do  :blink:
[right][snapback]87873[/snapback][/right]
You need to register (ie. pay) for the ad banner to go away. That's the only thing paying helps with, you can use Opera legally without doing anything but downloading it if you want.

The recent offer was a free code to make the ad banner go away.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
DeeBye,Aug 31 2005, 10:47 PM Wrote:Just little things, like being able to move the tab bar below the navigation icons and other stuff.
Opera's interface is far more easily customizable than Firefox's, although it may not be as apparent at first glance.

The reason you don't seem to be able to get the tab bar below the navigation icons, is because the address bar is attached to the page you are viewing, not to the rest of the interface. This is because Opera's tabs aren't actually just tabs, but seperate windows. The default setting mimics the Firefox behaviour, though.

Is there no way to achieve what you want then? Yes, there most certainly is and it's quite easy. All you have to do is turn on the Main Bar, remove it's contents through right-clicking on the icons and selecting "Remove from Toolbar", and copy the contents of the Address Bar to the Main bar by Shift-Clicking on the icons and address window and dragging them to your now empty Main Bar. Turn off the Address Bar through View -> Toolbars (or by hitting Ctrl+F8), and you have the interface the way you want it.

I've personally been using Opera since version 7 came out, and find it to be superior to Firefox. I paid for my license somewhere last year and haven't regretted it for a moment :)
-Leshy, Pizza Lover Extraordinaire
http://www.leshy.net
Leshy,Sep 1 2005, 11:55 PM Wrote:Opera's interface is far more easily customizable than Firefox's, although it may not be as apparent at first glance.

The reason you don't seem to be able to get the tab bar below the navigation icons, is because the address bar is attached to the page you are viewing, not to the rest of the interface. This is because Opera's tabs aren't actually just tabs, but seperate windows. The default setting mimics the Firefox behaviour, though.

Is there no way to achieve what you want then? Yes, there most certainly is and it's quite easy. All you have to do is turn on the Main Bar, remove it's contents through right-clicking on the icons and selecting "Remove from Toolbar", and copy the contents of the Address Bar to the Main bar by Shift-Clicking on the icons and address window and dragging them to your now empty Main Bar. Turn off the Address Bar through View -> Toolbars (or by hitting Ctrl+F8), and you have the interface the way you want it.
[right][snapback]87987[/snapback][/right]

Wow, that was a really complicated way to do something simple. It worked though. Thanks!

Here's another one I'd like to solve -- I can't seem to get rid of the 1 pixel browser space on the left. When I am reading lengthy stuff I like park my mouse pointer way to the left so it's out of the way and use the scroll wheel. Unfortunately, when I park my mouse pointer on that 1 pixel border I cannot scroll. Is there a way to get rid of that dastardly 1 pixel border space?
DeeBye,Sep 2 2005, 06:18 AM Wrote:Wow, that was a really complicated way to do something simple.&nbsp; It worked though.&nbsp; Thanks!
If you turn the Address Bar back on (Ctrl-F8), and on the Options Window (Ctrl-F12 or Alt-P) uncheck "Show close button on each tab", you'll notice that you have a new set of window controls in the upper right corner. Unmaximize windows, and you'll see why it works the way it does :)
Quote:Here's another one I'd like to solve -- I can't seem to get rid of the 1 pixel browser space on the left.&nbsp; When I am reading lengthy stuff I like park my mouse pointer way to the left so it's out of the way and use the scroll wheel.&nbsp; Unfortunately, when I park my mouse pointer on that 1 pixel border I cannot scroll.&nbsp; Is there a way to get rid of that dastardly 1 pixel border space?
[right][snapback]87992[/snapback][/right]
This is a very slightly more complicated one. The 1px border you're talking about is a part of the default skin, not of the program itself. Many other skins out there do not have this 1px border there. This leaves you with two options:

- Download a different skin
- In the Opera\Skin folder, open up the standard_skin.zip file, and extract skin.ini. Open this up with your text editor of choice, and find the section [Browser Skin]. Here you can set the Padding values to 0 - most notably the left one as that is the one causing you trouble. Add skin.ini back to the Zip file, and once you restart Opera, that border is no longer there.
I've been a happy opera user for about 3 years now. Then I got an IBM laptop for school, which has a forward and back button on the keyboard. Now, I can't seem to get that to work on opera, nor can I get the hyperlinks to email someone to load up through thunderbird on opera. I also tend to go down->right on the mouse far too often and end up closing the page when I want to go forward. These three reasons made me switch to firefox.

I realise I can probably remove the mouse gestures or change them, but I dont think I can draw the gesture like on firefox. If there is, that may be enough for me to switch back to opera on my PC, but probably not on my laptop.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
Leshy,Sep 2 2005, 10:17 AM Wrote:This is a very slightly more complicated one. The 1px border you're talking about is a part of the default skin, not of the program itself. Many other skins out there do not have this 1px border there. This leaves you with two options:

- Download a different skin
- In the Opera\Skin folder, open up the standard_skin.zip file, and extract skin.ini. Open this up with your text editor of choice, and find the section [Browser Skin]. Here you can set the Padding values to 0 - most notably the left one as that is the one causing you trouble. Add skin.ini back to the Zip file, and once you restart Opera, that border is no longer there.
[right][snapback]88029[/snapback][/right]

That worked too. Thanks :)

More help plz :wub:

How do I configure Opera to open a link in a new active tab when I middle-click on it? One thing I really got used to with Firefox was that a normal left-click opens a link in the current tab, and a middle-click opens a link in a new active tab.
DeeBye,Sep 4 2005, 01:25 AM Wrote:How do I configure Opera to open a link in a new active tab when I middle-click on it?&nbsp; One thing I really got used to with Firefox was that a normal left-click opens a link in the current tab, and a middle-click opens a link in a new active tab.
[right][snapback]88178[/snapback][/right]
This is actually very easy, compared to previous solutions ;)

Open up the Options Window (Alt-P), and on the Advanced Tab, select the Shortcuts panel, near the bottom. There'll be a nice big button labeled "Middle click options" in the middle, which allows you to set a variety of behaviours when you middle-click on a link.

The default is set to "Open in background page", you'll want to set it to "Open in new page" to get the behaviour you want.
Leshy,Sep 3 2005, 11:40 PM Wrote:This is actually very easy, compared to previous solutions ;)

Open up the Options Window (Alt-P), and on the Advanced Tab, select the Shortcuts panel, near the bottom. There'll be a nice big button labeled "Middle click options" in the middle, which allows you to set a variety of behaviours when you middle-click on a link.

The default is set to "Open in background page", you'll want to set it to "Open in new page" to get the behaviour you want.
[right][snapback]88192[/snapback][/right]

Here is a present for you Leshy!
[Image: pizza8mi.jpg]

Wow, I am liking Opera more and more now. Here's what my Opera page looks like now, and it's pretty slick :)

[Image: 10xx.th.jpg]
(click for big)

What I'd also like to do is to be able to condense everything except the tab bar into a single line, like I've done here with Firefox. This is the way I usually browse and it's the main reason why I cannot ever go back to IE again.

[Image: 29ne.th.png]
(click for big)

DeeBye,Sep 4 2005, 06:02 AM Wrote:Here is a present for you Leshy!
Now you got me all hungry :P
Quote:What I'd also like to do is to be able to condense everything except the tab bar into a single line, like I've done here with Firefox.
[right][snapback]88194[/snapback][/right]
Not any problem for Opera. Check this quite minimalistic version, for example.

[Image: operasmall4pw.th.png]

How did I do this? It's quite easy, actually.
  • Turn on the Main Bar and remove all current items from it, and turn off the Address Bar.<>
  • Go to http://nontroppo.org/wiki/CustomButtons#menu. This site is an excellent resource page for Opera, and this particular page has a whole load of custom buttons, that you can drag literally from the webpage onto your Opera toolbars.<>
  • Drag the menu buttons without the dropdown icon onto your main bar, until you've duplicated the default Opera menu.<>
  • This part is mostly because I forgot what the keycombination to hide the menu bar is, as they changed it a while back. Open up the Options panel (Alt-P), go to the Advanced tab, and the Shortcuts pane. Hit the Edit button to the right of the Keyboard setup list. In the dropdown box at the top, type F11, which brings up all the keyboard commands for F11. The second one will be something like "Platform Unix, F11 alt Enable menu bar | Disable menu bar". Remove the "Platform Unix," part. Now Alt-F11 is bound to hiding and showing the menu bar, so press Alt-F11 to hide the menu bar as you no longer need it.<>
  • Right-click on the Main Bar, and select Customize.<>
  • On the Toolbars tab, set Style to "Images only".<>
  • Go to the Buttons tab, and from here you can drag a variety of buttons to the Main Bar. This should be self-explanatory, and you can fiddle with this as you wish. In order to create space between items, you can insert Fixed Spacers.<>
  • Go to http://nontroppo.org/wiki/BreezeSkin, and download the Breeze Simplified MICRO skin for ultimate size decrease. Obviously you're free to use a different skin if you want ;)<>
    [st]And in case you're wondering how my Opera looks by default:
    [Image: operamine3ee.th.png]

There you go :)