Beta Forum Testing
Just an update for everyone:

Server packages (MySQL, php) have been upgraded to support the new software.

Tried a test migration today to myBB 1.4.8 - took six hours! It didn't go so well, though.

1) Quotes of text didn't transfer, so any posts with quotations in it came out pretty garbled.
2) Threaded mode didn't translate - everything is a reply to the main post. This may be unavoidable for migrated threads and I won't consider it a disaster if "old" threads lack true threading.
3) Private Messages could not be transferred. I don't consider this a big deal, though. Does anyone keep important information that they need to keep in PMs? It's not exactly good practice. :)
4) Forum privileges got all kinked up. Anyone with access to the specific guild forums will no longer have such access until I come up with some kind of system to fix that.
5) User post counts seem to be mostly thrashed and make no sense.

Anyway, there were probably more issues I didn't see off the bat. Going to try massaging scripts to see what I can come up with and try again soon. In the meantime, please try the forums out for yourself! Head over to:

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/betaxforum

Try to log in (your password to this forum SHOULD work for the new one) and play around with the software.

Please document bugs and issues in this thread. Anything posted to the new forums will NOT be kept - these forums you're looking at now are still the official forums. The beta forums will be wiped clean - maybe regularly - as migrations are tested. So feel free to post whatever you like over there to test anything.

The idea will be to try to address problems via either the migration scripts or post-scripts that I can custom make to run after the real migration.

Oh, and someone find me a cool forum skin... :(
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Currently, I see no difference between Threaded View for the new post I made and Standard View.

Also, I'm not sure if it is intentional or not, but after making three posts, my signature only attaches to the very last post made. Not sure if this is intentional or not.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Threaded mode isn't "sticky".

I replied to a test post, then switched to threaded mode to look at it. It appeared to work just fine for new posts (though the big quick reply form is above it and made it hard to spot at first).

However once I edited my post and returned to the thread, I was back in linear mode. So at least doing an edit sends you back into linear mode, as does replying.
"Strategy &.amp; Game Mechanics" - actually, it looks like all "&___" chars got translated strictly. I see "&.lt" rather than "<", for instance.

I find it interesting that most of the quotes start with "
Quote:" and end with " [ / quote ] ". Worst case scenario a decent regular expression could clean that up. I did find a thread that showed quotes working with some added text at the end:

http://lurkerlounge.com/betaxforum/showt...p?tid=3777

This thread also demonstrates that code is working, though the added entries still look bad due to &.nbsp  characters running rampant.

Can anyone find an example of a double quote that got imported?

Some other characters didn't copy over correctly, like indents and quotes. Reference:
http://lurkerlounge.com/betaxforum/showthr...d=583&pid=15146
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index...opic=12103

I'm not sure what's up with this one:

[quote]EPIC VICTORY!<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
http://lurkerlounge.com/betaxforum/showthr...48253#pid148253

Edit: remove the period from the & chars to see what I mean. Ugh @ BB code tripping where I don't want it to.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
It would seem that creating my own thread and having it replied to automatically registers me via email to be notified whenever someone other than myself replies to my thread. As I checked my email just now, I saw this, "Someone has replied to a thread you are subscribed to," or something similar to that.

Do the new forums automatically subscribe you to each post you create or comment too? I didn't check the options menu yet, but just thought I'd pass that by that if it is an option, it is automatically turned on. Kind of annoying IMO.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Threaded mode isn't "sticky".
Looks like you have to set Threaded as your default mode in your control panel.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Just nuked over 22,000 bots from the members list.

:whistling:

Since dozens get registered every day, I will probably look to do this every few months from here on...

In other news, the migration process has stalled a bit. There were tons of issues with the first try and I don't have them all addressed. Meanwhile I'm also rethinking how to re-do this site and I'm considering just using a forum interface and forego the news portion.