How good is D2?
I didn't have much experience with D2. Honestly I only finished the game once, without expansion pack, with the paladin.
I was one of the ones way back when to get one of the triable 1000 demos and played for a while and then let someone else have a go at it.

a few of my buddies play it and i wonder if i should get into it now. I heard there has been loads of changes but that the new 1.10 is supposed to make everything pretty good.
TheKingofKewl,Aug 20 2005, 01:14 PM Wrote:I didn't have much experience with D2. Honestly I only finished the game once, without expansion pack, with the paladin.
I was one of the ones way back when to get one of the triable 1000 demos and played for a while and then let someone else have a go at it.

a few of my buddies play it and i wonder if i should get into it now. I heard there has been loads of changes but that the new 1.10 is supposed to make everything pretty good.
[right][snapback]86767[/snapback][/right]

Well, it's not all /that/ different in 1.10 (now 1.11) than before, but if you've never played with the expansion it makes quite a difference. new characters, weapons, etc. Skill synergies were the biggest change in 1.10, I suppose...changed build strategies quite a bit.

The game isn't everyone's cup of tea, never was. But a lot of people are still playing it after five years, so there must be something there. I still enjoy it quite a bit.
"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
TheKingofKewl,Aug 20 2005, 01:14 PM Wrote:I heard there has been loads of changes but that the new 1.10 is supposed to make everything pretty good.

Also depends a lot on whether you plan to play on Battle.net (on the Internet), or with your friends via a network, or Single Player on your own computer only.

in v1.10 & perhaps v1.11 you can once again get realistic chance of getting some useful exceptional uniques or even elite uniques, provided you know where to look. And there're new Runewords to play with (a few of which are only available when played on Battle.net)

As for myself, I'm playing Diablo II again on my own single computer (never with any other players), and it is amusing to take advantage of the "best of both worlds" with what's possible and what's not in each different Patch version.

For example, I've previously gambled a nice pair of rare boots in Classic D2:

Fastest Hit Recovery
Fastest Run/Walk
Magic Find 25%
Ligntning Resist 40%
Cold Resist 43%
Mana +37

The above simply is not possible anymore in any of later patches.
Which makes balancing my character that much easier later on.
[Edit: Warning: It took a LONG time to gamble above pair of boots, and to be honest I did not aim for such a nice affix roll; just 5 "perfect roll" affixes out of 6 was good enough for me.]

So it really depends if you're playing with others, and where you plan to play it.

(By the way, Diablo II is really value for money--v1.11 patches came out last week!).
The thing that keeps me at playing D2 is maybe number of different characters u can make (i mean different skill investation),
a melee sorc for example is pretty interesting to make...

You can always find new FAQ:s to make different chara's,
and maybe u could lure your friend in making the same chara as u and see which one makes the char better :D

(this thing may be the ONLY thing that keeps me playing... when i am done with char making, i might stop playing D2... Then i just wait patiently for D3, if it ever shows up)

Somebody might be interested in runewords or something else...
My point is, that u can find new ideas you can make in the game, if you know where to search for, lurkerlounge forums might be a good place to start! :P

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that
counts."
- Winston Churchill
Horrible. Everyone visiting this forum devoted to analyzing the statistical minutiae of DII hates the game with a passion.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
TheKingofKewl,Aug 20 2005, 07:14 AM Wrote:I didn't have much experience with D2. Honestly I only finished the game once, without expansion pack, with the paladin.

[right][snapback]86767[/snapback][/right]

Items are for wimps. Play a Naked Amazon using only Passive and Magic skills, use a Rogue Merc.

This is a paid polical announcement from the Variant Scum™, by a loyal agent of the KingOfPain.

Enjoy. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Chaerophon,Aug 22 2005, 02:01 AM Wrote:Horrible.  Everyone visiting this forum devoted to analyzing the statistical minutiae of DII hates the game with a passion.
[right][snapback]86855[/snapback][/right]

Hey! This sub-forum is called "The Workshop", talking about detailed statistics/guts of Diablo II !

It's got a name for a reason...

(Anyways, I'm gambling for D2C rares & obtaining other D2X patch versions's items for playing, since v1.10 & v1.11 is much more difficult.
Hence i'm going back to get more help with items that are no longer possible in v1.10/v1.11, and this is legit way of playing for Single Player on my computer only, especially since I'll never trade with anyone...)
w0qj,Aug 22 2005, 08:59 AM Wrote:Hey! This sub-forum is called "The Workshop", talking about detailed statistics/guts of Diablo II !

It's got a name for a reason...

Merriam-Webster:Sarcasm

Cheers,

Munk
I am probably going to be purchasing this game soon.

I begin to tire of the original Diablo, too many cheaters and hackers it would seem. Godly plate of this and that and people with hacked stats killing diablo in 1-4 hits.
So not only do people not want to play the game the way it was meant but they cannot seem to understand why people would wish to. I was constantly badgered to except hacked, duped items, to duel against people wearing very suped up gear so that they couldnt even be hit anyway and people that took in warriors using appoc staffs that just went in to wipe out anything. People calling me a loser or acting surprised or shocked or speechless when i told them their godly full plates of the whale were not real. Others not apparently wanting the other player taking part at all in the action or really acknowledging there existance as warriors went about appocolysing everything in site with 255 charges.

No one i talk to seems familar with lurker lounge unfortunitly.

p.s. Thanks for all the responses
Have you read the Code of Conduct, or do you simply not care that I find the above illegibly typed, and that most of us will simply not bother to read it?

Edit: Added a space. I don't always proofread correctly.
Quality over quantity.
- BruceGod -
Was not looking for a response, just a comment I made.