RPG
What exactly is an rpg i never really got when peopel say it.
A storm is brewing... A candy storm! Yay!
Rocket propelled grenade

Favorite of the Russian Army and Middle Eastern insurgents in movies everywhere.
YoCard,Aug 18 2005, 01:53 PM Wrote:What exactly is an rpg i never really got when peopel say it.
[right][snapback]86519[/snapback][/right]

Rocket propelled grenades: Handy for blowing up your neighbor's car from a safe distance.

Or maybe you mean role-playing games? The idea of an RPG is that you pretend to be the character, not making the decisions and taking the actions that *you* would do, but rather the ones that *your character* would do if he/she/it were real. Ideally an RPG is not about your ability to click a mouse with lightning reactions or get lucky rolling dice, but rather your ability to understand your character and the world that character lives in.

In other words, it's a game where you kill thousands of really wimpy monsters with high fantasy weapons and spells in order to build up your characters "experience" and "attributes" and get better "equipment" before moving on to kill thousands of less wimpy monsters, and so forth, until you ultimately save the world. :rolleyes:
Ghostiger,Aug 18 2005, 10:58 AM Wrote:Rocket propelled grenade
Favorite of the Russian Army and Middle Eastern insurgents in movies everywhere.
[right][snapback]86521[/snapback][/right]
The Soviet RPG actually stood for Rocket Antitank Grenade, in Russian (Reaktny Prototankovich Gramotet, or something fo the like. My Russian sucks).

Western forces contrived "Rocket Propelled Grenade" from the acronym, which wasn't all that hard since two of the three letters in the acronym matched the conveyed terms.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
counter strike an rpg?
A storm is brewing... A candy storm! Yay!
YoCard,Aug 18 2005, 04:51 PM Wrote:counter strike an rpg?

That's not a sentence.

RPG_(disambiguation).

-Lemmy
YoCard,Aug 18 2005, 12:51 PM Wrote:counter strike an rpg?
[right][snapback]86546[/snapback][/right]

Counterstrike is an FPS, or, First Person Shooter, type of video game. Comparable to Quake, Black Hawk Down, Doom, and other similar games.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Yes, but my Russian is even worse than yours - and we all know there was no way I was going to look that up. So instead I went with movies.
Rhydderch Hael,Aug 18 2005, 04:51 PM Wrote:The Soviet RPG actually stood for Rocket Antitank Grenade, in Russian (Reaktny Prototankovich Gramotet, or something fo the like. My Russian sucks).
[right][snapback]86545[/snapback][/right]

Roketnaya Protivotankovaya Granata.

Granata (Grenade) in Russian is a "she" not an "it".

By the way, 'Reaktny' means 'Reactive'.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Russian dropping in ;) .

TriggerHappy,Aug 18 2005, 06:24 PM Wrote:Granata (Grenade) in Russian is a "she" not an "it".
[right][snapback]86574[/snapback][/right]
My immediate thought was "of course it is". :whistling: :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
TriggerHappy,Aug 18 2005, 03:24 PM Wrote:By the way, 'Reaktny' means 'Reactive'.
[right][snapback]86574[/snapback][/right]
Sort of fits. A rocket is a reaction motor, after all.

And 'granata' is easy to understand. The Spanish word for pomegranates, 'granada' was used to describe small hollow bombs filled with lead shot. When the English butted heads with Spain in the Americas, the term for the weapon carried over as the 'granado shell', which evolved into 'grenade'. The Russian term easily traces it origins to that same Spanish moniker.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
LemmingofGlory,Aug 18 2005, 03:54 PM Wrote:That's not a sentence.

RPG_(disambiguation).

-Lemmy
[right][snapback]86548[/snapback][/right]
But, at least he used a question mark this time, instead of just a run on sentence lacking in grammar.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]