Dungeon Siege II
Hail all,

Dungeon Siege II should be in stores in the US tomorrow (Wednesday). I remember a majority of the people on this forum board didn't like the first one, but I would like to see if anyone is planning on playing the second one. I try my best not to play public games, so it would be great to get a few like-minded players together.

I wasn't a fan of the first game but I did play through it, on a lan. I never could get myself to play through it via Singleplayer. The Dungeon Siege II demo showed some promise, so I am definitely picking up the game. I'm hoping the multiplayer will have some appeal to it, and I hope to find enough closed games with legit players. If you have the same desire, please respond! Or e-mail me at Lionel2b@gmail.com.

Some Dungeon Siege II reviews:

IGN's DS2 Review
Action Trip's DS2 Review
MonTy,Aug 16 2005, 10:01 PM Wrote:I remember a majority of the people on this forum board didn't like the first one[right][snapback]86325[/snapback][/right]

I actually remember it being fairly well liked, or at least there was a core of people posting about it and getting together to play online.

Although maybe that was RBD. I don't remember, honestly.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Aug 16 2005, 10:09 PM Wrote:I actually remember it being fairly well liked, or at least there was a core of people posting about it and getting together to play online.
[right][snapback]86327[/snapback][/right]

It was liked, it just didn't have staying power. Everyone tended to play for 1-3 months, then quit. Nice enough game onceover, just no real replayability

The game was too linear, and looking at the reviews... it still is. Good enough for a few play throughs, 1 minimum, but its not likely going to have huge replay value.
I played roughly 4 minutes. Couldn't stand it, so I went back to Diablo.

Anyone else feel that most games these days are way too "cartoony"? I mean, Diablo's graphics are old as hell, but the mood and atmosphere in the game surpasses most of today's RPGs'. It's so gritty and dirty. Today, most games are all pretty and polished. They just don't evoke any *real* emotion, because it looks like something out of a Hanna Barbera-cartoon.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Aug 18 2005, Wrote:I played roughly 4 minutes. Couldn't stand it, so I went back to Diablo.

Anyone else feel that most games these days are way too "cartoony"? I mean, Diablo's graphics are old as hell, but the mood and atmosphere in the game surpasses most of today's RPGs'. It's so gritty and dirty. Today, most games are all pretty and polished. They just don't evoke any *real* emotion, because it looks like something out of a Hanna Barbera-cartoon.
[right][snapback]86505[/snapback][/right]

What you need to do is either get a hold of Conker's Bad Fur Day (Nintendo 64 I think), or the remake, Conker: Live & Reloaded for the Xbox. I rented the latter and it's a totally awesome acid trip. It's cuter than any Mario game and it's disgusting and offensive as all hell. Unfortunately, the remake has all the cursing bleeped out, so it seems like every fifth word is a honk/twang/bleep.

But the combination of the so-cute-it'll-rot-your-teeth world, with the raunchy humor (for example, I've already hooked up a king bee with a big-boobed sunflower he wanted to... pollinate - and this is after getting the queen bee's hive back because there was noone to protect it after she kicked the king out for adultery) and over-the-top pop culture references (Terminator hay creature thingy omg) results in a game it is impossible not to laugh at/with.

Also, Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone is a really kickass and gritty game I picked up for $18. I'm told it plays alot like the Two Towers game, but I wouldn't know.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
[wcip]Angel,Aug 18 2005, Wrote:I played roughly 4 minutes. Couldn't stand it, so I went back to Diablo.

I grabbed the demo of DSII. I played DSI though the main campaign on the LAN with Treesh. It was OK, but character progression had some issues. Single player didn't really appeal to me. Of course I really didn't like single player D2 either.

DSII has a bit more atmosphere to it in the demo at least. It doesn't play itself as much as the first one did either though it still have some of those features. Skill stuff seems to be a bit better and they warn you, a lot, to not try and progress more than one specialty. It looks like they gave up completely on the idea of hybrids and while that is good it would have been nice, in either game to really be able to have a decently usable secondary roll without completely gimping the character. Treesh and I tried it in the first with me doing ranged and nature and her doing melee and fire and you just fell way too far behind the curve and it just got frustrating instead of fun. :)

But I don't think you'd like if you really didn't like the first one.

But if you have a fast connection and free HDD space you can grab the 1.2 GB demo and look at it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

I haven't really been playing many new games, although they do get more cartoony than others, the music seems to make up for it.

Sometimes cartoony works though. Sure, warcrat 3 had characters mouths not lining up with their talking, and everything did look really cartoony, but frozen throne seemed to have more "realistic" looking graphics, and seemed to loose some atmosphere because of it.

It's actually surprising how some environments look pretty realistic in cartoon somehow. Outland and icecrown glacier in frozen throne, and the dry, barren places in Guild wars look pretty realistic somehow, maybe because I don't regularily see something that looks like those areas.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Gnollguy,Aug 18 2005, 03:04 PM Wrote:I grabbed the demo of DSII.
[right][snapback]86522[/snapback][/right]

Can you give me an idea of what the actual minimum specs are? I never trust what the developer says.
DeeBye,Aug 18 2005, 09:31 PM Wrote:Can you give me an idea of what the actual minimum specs are?  I never trust what the developer says.
[right][snapback]86589[/snapback][/right]

Runs fine at 1024x768 on a XP 2800+ with 1GB Ram and GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB AGP8x card. That's about the best I can tell you right now.

Don't have any of my other low end boxes running right now because I had some part failures that forced me to scrounge from them and I don't know if Treesh will let me install it on her box (which had the failures and now has some of the lower end stuff). :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.