Influence your thoughts and feelings
Brother Laz,Aug 21 2005, 10:37 AM
At the other end is unbridled capitalism, which leads to increasingly widespread poverty. Due to unavoidable positive scale effects [which get more and more noticeable due to the increasing level of technology] there is no way to stop the larger companies from pushing the smaller companies off the market, decreasing the amount of jobs on offer and forcing more and more people into poverty. In the limit, you get a small group of very rich shareholders and everyone else lives in a cardboard box.

One of the benefits of Capitalism is that if you have marketable skills or products you can make some money and buy a few shares of that company. Capitalism does not, by definition, include extorsion, that is injected by the unscrupulous. Elimination due to not being competitive is addressed by my first point. ;)

Modern technology makes people redundant.

What about the people that design, build, sell, service, and operate those machines? Some people will still pay a premium for 'Old World Craftsmanship' also. The workforce may need to change it's skillset and companies may need to change thier product lines to survive.

According to the theory, this causes the workers' wages to drop until it is more cost-efficient to employ more people than to use machines to do it, which would theoretically insure full employment. The problem is that machines are so much faster and better than workers that in order to reach this equilibrium, the workers' wages have to drop way below living wage.

I've never heard that theory before... And on part 2 if the machines become that efficient the goods produced would remain near what the targeted consumer could afford - otherwise the manufacturer loses sales and becomes less competitive.

Example: a newspaper printing machine can crank out thousands of newspapers in one hour for virtually free after the initial cost of purchase, there is no way human worker can compete with that. Those are lost jobs that will never come back.

Without the mechanical printing press the newspaper industry would not exist to start with...

Additionally, machines give their owners an advantage on the market, but are only affordable by the large companies. This is why economists are opposed to anti-trust laws, but they conveniently ignore the fact that less companies = less jobs. One newspaper company that prints 200K newspapers does not equal ten newspaper companies that print 20K newspapers a day.

Take computers for example: Early computers were only available to the largest companies due to supply, price, and demand. Now you will rarely find any business without at least one. Efficiency of scale is an important factor to consider in your argument also. And just because someone wants to be a reporter doesn't mean the market will bear it. He either needs to be a better reporter than the other guy, diversify his skill set, or move to a new market.

And due to the low cost of operation of most technology, no matter how low the wages drop, this will generate hardly any new jobs, so the economy will drop below full employment, and the employment rate gets worse and worse as technology advances.

As technology advances the labor force's skill set will advance with it, jobs will be created in new fields... How many wagonwrights are employed in your town today? How many auto mechanics?

The worst example of positive scale effects is Amazon.com. Just how many employees does Amazon have, 500? 1000? Including truckers and forklift drivers. Yet Amazon, if the delivery time is reduced even more, could easily replace the majority of bookstores in the world. This equals millions of jobs lost. E-books? Even more jobs lost.

How many other booksellers have developed online retail outlets? To remain competitive companies must diversify, grow, and change.

And not only do smaller companies stand no chance in the long term due to positive scale effects, but poorer civilians are also excluded. The way the economy works, a company will decide on a price and output that yields maximum profit or efficiency, then sell the output at the determined price. Very often, this does not fully saturate the market, but the cost of additional units outweighs the profits.

If the product's price is set too high the manufacturer will not sell his complete production (lose money). If supply is not equal to demand from one source then consumers will go elsewhere (the smaller company) or pay a premium for the available supply. Also, many consumers that feel they need something may not actually require it...

According to the theory, those left out are those for whom the product is not worth the price. However, sometimes those people do want the product but it is so expensive to them that they simply cannot afford it. The company could lower its prices to saturate the market, but this would cause its profits to drop and make the shareholders angry.

Welcome to a market economy. :) Profit is not a bad word. Profit at the expense of all else on the other hand...

Example: medical aid in the US. Lowering the prices of prescription drugs would make them affordable to the very poor, but would cause an efficiency loss for the companies that produce them. So, they keep the prices high, avoidable deaths be damned.

The costs of researching, developing, testing, manufacturing, distributing, selling, and insuring prescription drugs and the companies that make them is quite high. Name brand Rx may have a premium attached to the price (Is it an ethical amount? Probably not all the time. ;) ) to help the manufacturer recoup the total costs of production in a timely manner - before many of the generic and store brands start selling the drug after all the hard/expensive work is done by the developing company.

Conclusion...

There are many forms of Capitalism. Laissez faire will probably lead to the gloom and doom scenario you paint for Capitalism due to the lack of checks and balances on the greedy and unscrupulous.

Idealy, Capitalism rewards hard work, innovation, invention, employee care, and customer service. We don't live in an ideal world so the government must step in and give a nudge here and there. For an example take a look at Henry Ford's treatment of employees compared to accepted norms today.

EDIT: Crap! Not sure where my quote tags broke. Use of color attempted...

Also it is not the function of Capitalism to provide jobs. And in a Capitalist system personal responisibility of both the consumer and manufacturer is required in order for it to funtion without greater and greater Government intervention.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Not to paint Rissia in any good light, but they werent responsible for the rise of Nazies.

Nazies were a political force(and thug force) long before they were a military force. The Wehrmacht didnt put Hitler in power rather he took control of it.

But you are probably right that the Russians bore a share of responsibility for Germanys military success.
Ghostiger,Aug 22 2005, 02:31 PM Wrote:Not to paint Rissia in any good light, but they werent responsible for the rise of Nazies.

Nazies were a political force(and thug force) long before they were a military force. The Wehrmacht  didnt put Hitler in power rather he took control of it.

But you are probably right that the Russians bore a share of responsibility for Germanys military success.
[right][snapback]86939[/snapback][/right]

The 1920's saw quite a bit of liaison between Wehrmacht and the Red Army, as much exercising and military activity was denied to the Wehrmacht under Versailles.

Funny how things pan out in the long run

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Of course there werent Nazies leading the Wehrmacht in the 20s.
Pete,Aug 23 2005, 06:00 AM Wrote:Hi,
I don't think so.

Perhaps this is all a matter of semantics.

--Pete
[right][snapback]86908[/snapback][/right]

I'm sure we could have a good discussion if we could just figure out a common understanding of communism/Communism

Like I said earlier, I've seen so many different peoples versions of communism. (I could give my local tennis club as an example of working communism (based on my def. of communism provided earlier) with elected leadership, but I think I'll stop going around in circles now.) :P
Dont most internet fights form over this?

It seems to me most fights(the LL isnt as bad some sights, but we do this plenty) start over real or percieved diasgreements but quickly swing to a semantic difference - because it lets both sides keep argueing regardless of what facts are introduced.
You have confused communism with communalism.(I didnt see the definition but its wrong I guess).

communism is an economic system. communalism is about communal ownership.
Hi,

Ghostiger,Aug 23 2005, 05:17 AM Wrote:Dont most internet fights form over this?
It seems to me most fights(the LL isnt as bad some sights, but we do this plenty) start over real or percieved diasgreements but quickly swing to a semantic difference - because it lets both sides keep argueing regardless of what facts are introduced.
[right][snapback]86991[/snapback][/right]
Yes, and I've fallen into that trap a number of times. However, I've also seen an examination of semantics bring sanity into a raging argument. It depends upon the people involved. If they are willing to accept certain definitions *for the length of the argument* then some glimpse of 'truth' might be achieved. If they are not, then they probably aren't worth engaging in discussion in the first place.

I've been playing on fora since the days of newsgroups carried over uucp. "the LL isn't as bad" is a gross understatement Except in fora devoted to one subject and well moderated, I've never seen another that is as well behaved and yet permits the examination of extreme topics. The LL is indeed an oasis of sanity in the asylum the Internet has become. ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Ghostiger,Aug 23 2005, 06:17 AM Wrote:Dont most internet fights form over this?
[right][snapback]86991[/snapback][/right]

Yep, because losing in an internet fight could be damaging to the ego. It sound silly, but remember the internet's populace generally doesn't take "losing" very well. It is easier to yell "define x!" rather than try to really refute it. I don't pretend to place myself above that behavior either.

There may also be the frustration of feeling that the other posters do not understand your point, so people attempt to break it down so "It's #$%&ing obvious, can't you see?" That is the goal at least although it usually makes matters more complex.

And of course, communicating via forum posts is simply not as clear as talking face to face and it's harder to deal with things like tone. Certainly things like, :lol: :D :angry: can help, but it's still hard.

On many forums you may see arguments upwards of 20 pages because they were breaking down every argument into asinine detail. It's fun reading these things as you might have wondered how long they spent defending their point.

Bigger communities and troll posts can often make the problem bigger as well. When someone comes along and throws in a wrench, it gets quite chaotic.

Going off on a tangent, one thing I've noticed in forum arguments is that forum senority/longevity is often thrown out. Don't see too much of it here, and it's occasionaly a valid argument against someone who has specificaly made an account to troll the thread, but it manages to humor me. We could start another topic on this, it's just intresting (and perhaps damaging) to see what people do with a computer and a internet connection.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
You must be very forunate to have experinced such a high level of discussion. That along with sanity, is almost priceless. (I would know) ;) I'd almost say difficult topics need a disclaimer. "Warning- may hurt brain" could help. :ph34r:

Indeed most forums have a rule or two about "Debate the topic, not the poster" but in very few places does that rule ever work
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Pete,Aug 23 2005, 09:32 AM Wrote:If they are willing to accept certain definitions *for the length of the argument* then some glimpse of 'truth' might be achieved.  If they are not, then they probably aren't worth engaging in discussion in the first place.

--Pete
[right][snapback]86999[/snapback][/right]

How can you even have a discussion without ensuring all parties are arguing with the same (or at least similar) definitions?

Forget accepting a definition, even for the sake of argument -- I'll take someone just willing to acknowledge which definition we're talking about!

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"