Hunter Pet changes
Yeah, old news (3 days old) but not everyone browses the official forums or blue posts all the time. Anyway Caydiem has made this post in the hunter forums about some pet changes.

Looks like the annoying flappity pets are being made more useful. I just wish the flying pets weren't so annoying to many party members.

Anywho I'll quote the opening post as well.

Caydiem Wrote:All right, folks, here's something that should lift your spirits. The following are the pet customization changes in the 1.7 patch.

You can now train your pet in passive abilities such as increased Armor, Stamina, Fire Resistance, Nature Resistance, Shadow Resistance, Frost Resistance, and Arcane Resistance using their training points.

In addition, there are specialized abilities for certain types of pets:

* Bats, Owls, and Carrion Birds can now learn the Screech ability, a fast, single-target attack that also lowers the attack power of all enemies within melee range of the pet.
    * Cats can now learn the Stealth ability. In addition to being unseen, they receive a damage bonus for their first attack coming out of Stealth.
    * Scorpids can now learn Scorpid Poison. This poison deals Nature damage over time and stacks up to five times on a single enemy.
    * Wolves can now learn Furious Howl. The howl adds a flat amount of damage to all nearby party members' next attack (within 15 yards).

The training point costs for all pet abilities have been rebalanced, and Growl is now free for all pets. You can untrain your pet's training points from any Pet Trainer in the major cities for a fee. Similar to talent respecs, untraining a specific pet scales up as you do it more times: 10s, 50s, 1g, 2g, 3g, etc... capping at 10g.

Hunter pets will now gain experience based on the level difference between them and their target, rather than the difference between the Hunters and their target. This will make it much easier to level up a low level pet. You will still need to kill creatures from which the Hunter can gain experience, however.

And lastly -- as a comment to an annoying issue for many -- you can adjust the autocast status of skills with that option in the spellbook.

The designers are looking into further customization, but this is what is coming for 1.7. :)

Looks like you'll be able to get over 100 fire resist too from a follow up by Caydiem.

this is a couple of different posts I'm puttin in the same quote. (* indicates the start of a new post by Caydiem) I only scanned up to page 22 looking for more blue posts though.
Caydiem Wrote:* You think over 100 fire resistance, for example, won't help at all? ;)

* I just checked, and it looks like the resists are on the trainer.

*What I listed is what species are getting special abilities. As I said, they do want to do more with it, but those are the abilities coming in 1.7.

I have a Wind Serpent, so I feel your pain. ;)

* All the abilities going into the patch are what I listed to the best of my knowledge. That means there are no special abilities for other types of pets right now, nor any others you think I may have left out.

I have a Wind Serpent and a Gorilla, so I know how you folks feel, and as I said, the developers do want to do more with the customization.

EDIT: These changes have been worked on and tested for months. I posted them today to provide a slight counterpoint to the Mortal Shot complaining and hopefully mix up the conversation a bit.

* No, I mean that's all I have.

I've pretty much posted everything of note.

No built in thorns on turtles, nothing for apes or bears or other types. Still just a small change, but it's something. Just hoping that the training points don't invalidate beast master builds (doesn't look like they will). It is a step towards pet customiztion and gives you some use for the stable slots but you will still only be able to keep 2 pets since you will still need to be able to tame and train skills. But it's a start.

I wonder if my swamp jaguar who has a nice fast approach speed (fast as most pets with dash even without dash active, does crazy fast teleport stuff with a dash) will have a quick approach stealth now and if it will be worth it. Last instance run the L44 pet outdamaged an L40 enhancement (melee) shaman with my current beast master spec. Damage should be even better with the new talents.

I want to see pets in MC and Onyxia they may have provided that with the planned 1.7 changes. I already am quite good at calling the pet out of combat when an AoE attack is just hurting it too much (and the pet isn't the tank). Spirit bond on my jaguar (1.2 base attack speed) is already a fair bit of healing when flurry goes off. So a hunter with a high fire resist pet beating on Onyxia will have some extra DPS as well as another healing healing option besides bandages. The pet may still die but that isn't that big a deal.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
*Fluffy and Ehecatl weep scaley tears*

*Dryad voice* Face the Fearsome Fury of the Scaly Fauna!
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Gnollguy,Aug 15 2005, 11:10 AM Wrote:Spirit bond on my jaguar (1.2 base attack speed) is already a fair bit of healing when flurry goes off.  So a hunter with a high fire resist pet beating on Onyxia will have some extra DPS as well as another healing healing option besides bandages.  The pet may still die but that isn't that big a deal.
[right][snapback]86022[/snapback][/right]

Just a nit, but it looks like they're changing Spirit Bond to provide a flat regen bonus rather than tying it to pet attacks.

It would be nice to have useful hunter pets in the late game. It's certainly a step in the right direction. I may have to tame a doggie to try out that Furious Howl. :)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
All I know is, that after this patch, Marneus will eat you all (And hopefully steal BS Mantle from someone for me)
Yes, they are totally nerfing spirit bond to the point where no one in his or her right mind would take it. You get more health regen from food buffs than you do for wasting points in the talent.

The rest of the beast mastery tree looks viable, though.
Bun-Bun,Aug 15 2005, 01: Wrote:Just a nit, but it looks like they're changing Spirit Bond to provide a flat regen bonus rather than tying it to pet attacks.

It would be nice to have useful hunter pets in the late game. It's certainly a step in the right direction. I may have to tame a doggie to try out that Furious Howl. :)
[right][snapback]86039[/snapback][/right]

Argh I missed that. It was a decent 21 point talent the way it is made now (not a really great 31 point talent but I still got it anyway). Wow so if you have 4K HP you get 80 health every 10 seconds? The old talent I was getting about 200 health every 10 seconds. Oh joy my pet gets that too. Change it to 2% for one point and 5% for 2 points in it and that would be OK at least at L60. Still crap at lower levels though. I liked spirit bond tanking. It gave the healers some time to get to me and since the pet was still on the primary target helped my pet hold aggro if it needed since that pet got healer aggro as well.

Bah. Talent sucks monkey balls now.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Aug 16 2005, 10:17 PM Wrote:I liked spirit bond tanking.  It gave the healers some time to get to me and since the pet was still on the primary target helped my pet hold aggro if it needed since that pet got healer aggro as well.

Bah.  Talent sucks monkey balls now.
[right][snapback]86318[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, one of the things I loved about Spirit Bond is that it was an extra bit of taunting. Oh well. Looks like Starsong's talent spec will be changing quite a bit then.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Gnollguy,Aug 15 2005, 09:10 AM Wrote:I want to see pets in MC and Onyxia they may have provided that with the planned 1.7 changes.&nbsp; I already am quite good at calling the pet out of combat when an AoE attack is just hurting it too much (and the pet isn't the tank).&nbsp; Spirit bond on my jaguar (1.2 base attack speed) is already a fair bit of healing when flurry goes off.&nbsp; So a hunter with a high fire resist pet beating on Onyxia will have some extra DPS as well as another healing healing option besides bandages.&nbsp; The pet may still die but that isn't that big a deal.

The Core (mostly formerly known as The Offenders) uses hunters and hunter pets to pull mobs in MC. It's a very effective technique. I would like to see a special "sprint" skill that pets could get without using bugged pets. That's a very nice skill to have.

Regarding Onyxia, my main worry about using pets against her is that it's hard to control at what angle the pet attacks Onyxia. If the pet attacks a little bit too far to the back (and/or if the tank accidentally turns Onyxia a little too much), then it's easy to envision a pet getting tail-swiped into the whelp caves.