Kid in the candy store
"I'll take 5 of those, 3 of those, 2 of those...." "Sorry son, but do you have enough to spend on all those?"

I have this great little killing machine - some people would call it a warlock. He is in his teens so he is starting to look at talents. My Googlefoo and LurkerLoungefoo must be really failing me. I am having a hard time finding suggestions for good builds. I do find some builds, but I find that any builds that do get posted are immediately countered with something to the effect of "That sux0rs! <talent tree here> is worthless unless you go to <uber talent here>." I've even found builds (only looked at ones posted recently) that sound great, only to find that you can't actually build them because they are missing pre-reqs or require too many points. When I try to go through and create the Lochlock™ build, I run out of points way before I've picked up all the things that seem must have to me.

Lissa - Drasca - Zippyy - ? - what builds have you gone with since the talent changes? I would also like to see builds (current or planned) that any others have. I want to concentrate on having pets do the hands on work for me, but I don't know if that really requires much investment in the demonology tree. Are any of the 31 point talents worthwhile? Dark Pact seems good for the go go go factor, but it seems it could be replaced with drinking. Soul Link sounds good for survivability, but, if I was going that far, I would want to go through Master Demonologist and I don't know that I would want to place 15 points in the pre-reqs for that.

Any help in deciding which nummies I should buy would be greatly appreciated. The shop owner would like it too because my nose and hand prints keep messing up his display case glass. :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Aug 9 2005, 09:13 PM Wrote:Any help in deciding which nummies I should buy would be greatly appreciated.&nbsp; The shop owner would like it too because my nose and hand prints keep messing up his display case glass. :lol:
[right][snapback]85635[/snapback][/right]

I've had good results from a 31 Affliction/ 20 Demonology build on Pavis. Dark Pact is very nice, and robust pets do help. I feel I got very good mileage out of Improved Voidwalker early on. Currently Pavis' solo style uses a Succubus and drain tanking, which takes some getting used to but has very little downtime.

The downside of my build is that the massive crits just won't happen without some investment in Destruction. Thus his DPS is not terribly high for a warlock, and this may hurt him in the end game.

The canonical blast-em build is 30 Affliction (for Shadow Mastery) and 21 Destruction (for Ruin). With the recent changes, this may be rivalled by a Demonology/Ruin build. I don't have much affection for Master Demonologist because I feel it forces my choice of pets whereas Affliction is not pet-specific and I can use the pet with the best abilities for the situation.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
LochnarITB,Aug 10 2005, 10:13 AM Wrote:Soul Link sounds good for survivability, but, if I was going that far, I would want to go through Master Demonologist and I don't know that I would want to place 15 points in the pre-reqs for that.[right][snapback]85635[/snapback][/right]

I think you are looking at an outdated talent calculator (like thottbots). Check Blizzard's calculator and you will see they reduced the prereqs for MD to just Unholy Power.
This is the "canonical blast-em" Shadow Mastery/Ruin build Bun-Bun is talking of:

Affliction - 30 points

5 - Improved Corruption
2 - Improved Lifetap
5 - Improved Drain Life
5 - Fel Concentration
1 - Amplify Curse
2 - Nightfall
2 - Grim Reach
1 - Siphon Life
1 - Curse of Exhaustion
1 - Improved Curse of Exhaustion
5 - Shadow Mastery

Destruction - 21 points

5 - Improved Shadowbolt
5 - Bane
1 - Shadowburn
5 - Devastation
2 - Destructive Reach
2 - Intensity
1 - Ruin

and this is the slightly modified Ruin/Affliction build I prefer:

Quote:Affliction - 23 points

5 - Improved Corruption
2 - Improved Lifetap
5 - Improved Drain Life
5 - Fel Concentration
1 - Amplify Curse
2 - Nightfall
2 - Grim Reach
1 - Siphon Life

Destruction - 23 points

5 - Improved Shadowbolt
5 - Bane
1 - Shadowburn
2 - Improved Lash of Pain
5 - Devastation
2 - Destructive Reach
2 - Intensity
1 - Ruin

Demonology - 5 points

5 - Demonic Embrace

In my build, I've dumped Shadow Mastery and Curse of Exhaustion/Improved Curse of Exhaustion for Demonic Embrace, which is a must-have talent IMO, and Improved Lash of Pain.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Wogan,Aug 9 2005, 11:15 PM Wrote:I think you are looking at an outdated talent calculator (like thottbots).
[right][snapback]85647[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, I was looking at Thottbot's calculator. :( Knowing that it was wrong only makes matters worse. It gives me more options to consider. I wonder if this is why warlocks, at least good warlocks, seem to be hard to find? There are just so many ways to go. The only respec I have ever done was due to a misclick when I had a point to assign. I think this character will see at least one respec, if not several. :o Of course, I could always go the variant route and not assign any talent points. Hmm, wonder if that would work. :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
As I am a bit lazy today, I will link to a thread at the Amazon Basin, where I posted my build, which I consider a fairly effective and allround build, with good adaptability.

That being said, I would recommend a drain tanking spec for leveling up, which is mainly affliction, as it is really effective.
With the free respec, I dusted off my old 58 warlock and went for the new demonology talents. As I'm all alone most of the time on my realm, I needed a way to grind my way to 60. I was happy with Master Demonologist with the voidwalker, and went crazy with damage not caring if I got aggro because I could soul link. It was fun and I felt pretty solid for a cloth wearer, but there is down time waiting for the voidy to get mana back. With this setup, I carelessly picked a fight with a named elite dragon in Winterspring while not full on mana or life (he looked like the other non-elites in the area) and with no soul or healthstone. It got pretty hairy and I went through two voidwalkers, but I still won the fight. I didn't like the down time of this tactic, though the solo power was nice.

My current tactics (hit 59) now include demonic sacrificing of the voidwalker (not to be confused with sacrifice, a voidwalker spell) to get the health regeneration. Then I go sans pet and tank myself, using the extra life for healing and for mana. There is no downtime unless I take on multiple mobs.

My setup is 31 Demonology, 20 Affliction. Soul link and Nightfall/Grim reach being the top talents in each tree, but I probably would have been better served with 30/21 to get siphon life with the soloing I do with demonic sacrifice. In groups, I plan on using the succubus for added damage and crowd control. My gear is +shadow damage or +stam, and not of high quality. Mostly AH greens.

Edit: I miss Ruin..
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
First off, I'll start with a couple "mini-builds" where I show common routes to achieve some of the basic warlock talents/functions which can then be incorporated into larger builds.

Drain Tanking
For drain tanking, the goal is to get the talents that increase the damage of drain life, pick up its talent that reduces the chance for it to be interrupted (Fel Concentration) and pick up Nightfall and Improved Life Tap to increase your mana regained by tapping and your damage with the Nightfall proc. My person route through this tree is as follows:

Affliction Talents - 20 points
Improved Corruption rank 5/5
Improved Life Tap rank 2/2
Improved Life Drain rank 5/5
Fel Concentration rank 5/5
Amplify Curse rank 1/1
Nightfall rank 2/2

Ruin
The Ruin talent of the Destruction tree is extremely powerful and adds considerable (streaky) DPS to an end-game warlock who might use Curse of Shadows with Shadow Bolt. There's one change that I see, often, to this build: Some people like to replace Destructive Reach with Improved Lash of Pain. This probably helps your Succubus hold aggro when soloing as well as deal a bit more damage. However, I like the extra range so I usually go with that talent. My choices:

Destruction Talents - 21 points
Improved Shadow Bolt rank 5/5
Bane rank 5/5
Improved Lash of Pain rank 2/2
Devastation rank 5/5
Shadowburn rank 1/1
Intensity rank 2/2
Destructive Reach rank 2/2
Ruin rank 1/1

My Prospective Build
This is the build that I'm currently planning to use. It's a combination of the above two builds but it leaves out Shadow Mastery in order to pick up Demonic Embrace, Improved Lash of Pain, Grim Reach and Siphon Life, which are all very good talents.

One thing to note about this sort of a build: It's tempting to pick up Pyroclasm since it sounds so good on paper. However, it currently is bugged and though I've had the talent for quite a while, I've NEVER seen it proc. So skip it until they fix it. If they do, I'd probably give up Improved Lash of Pain for it.

Affliction Talents - 23 points
Improved Life Drain rank 5/5
Fel Concentration rank 5/5
Amplify Curse rank 1/1
Grim Reach rank 2/2
Nightfall rank 2/2
Siphon Life rank 1/1

Demonology Talents - 5 points
Demonic Embrace rank 5/5

Destruction Talents - 23 points
Bane rank 5/5
Devastation rank 5/5
Shadowburn rank 1/1
Intensity rank 2/2
Ruin rank 1/1

An Alternative End-Game Build
This build is built somewhat as the opposite of the Shadow Mastery/Ruin build. It uses the Demonology Talents to try buff up your pets while being able to use them to increase your damage output/reduce aggro, as needed. The big bonus over the SM/Ruin build is that this one has Demonic Embrace so you should be more effective as an AoE'er, when you use that. However, the downsides are that you don't have improved life tap, you don't have an instant corruption, and you cannot drain tank. Despite this, the damage is good and the Demonology talents are not to be scoffed at. :)

Affliction Talents - 0 points

Demonology Talents - 30 points
Improved Healthstone rank 2/2
Improved Imp rank 3/3
Demonic Embrace rank 5/5
Improved Voidwalker rank 3/3
Improved Succubus rank 3/3
Fel Domination rank 1/1
Master Summoner rank 2/2
Unholy Power rank 5/5
Demonic Sacrifice rank 1/1
Master Demonologist rank 5/5

Destruction Talents - 21 points
Bane rank 5/5
Devastation rank 5/5
Shadowburn rank 1/1
Intensity rank 2/2
Ruin rank 1/1

A Future Build
Blizzard has announced that, with the next content patch, Conflagrate, the top tier talent of the Destruction Tree, will be instant cast. This could make it a very effective damage-dealer and something that might be more useful than it is now. Thus, a build I was pondering to test this out was the following build which would use Curse of Elements with Immolate, and Conflagrate to try and deal out big damage. It can also make for an AoE terror considering the extra damage that the AoE's will get from the destruction talents.

The big drawback to this build is that it uses fire damage while lots of the mobs currently in the end-game, including the Molten Core and Blackwing Lair, have fire resistance or immunity. Thus, it might not cut it as an end-game raiding build. However, if more diverse mobs are introduces, it might be a good build to look into and it might actually fair pretty well in the early end-game instances like Scholomance, Stratholme, and Blackrock Spire.

Affliction Talents - 7 points

Demonology Talents - 12 points
Improved Healthstone rank 1/2
Improved Imp rank 3/3
Demonic Embrace rank 5/5
Improved Voidwalker rank 3/3

Destruction Talents - 32 points
Cataclysm rank 5/5
Bane rank 5/5
Devastation rank 5/5
Shadowburn rank 1/1
Intensity rank 2/2
Improved Immolate rank 5/5
Ruin rank 1/1
Emberstorm rank 5/5
Conflagrate rank 1/1
-TheDragoon
After the patch I tried out demonology, down to Soul Link. I enjoyed it and it was extremely versatile, but not really my style of play. Prior to the patch I was mostly affliction with some demonology.

After playing around with demonology for a while, I finally decided to try out the cookie cutter SM/Ruin build and I am absolutely loving it.

My tactics while soloing go like this:
1. send in succubus and let her land one hit and one lash of pain.
2. Curse of Agony, Corruption, Siphon Life, Shadow bolt, Immolate. The SB and immolate will hit at the same time if you are at max range, and will pull aggro off the succubus.
3. Turn and run! Stop a few times to throw some wand shots and life tap once or twice. When they get low, which happens pretty quickly with 4 dots and a succubus whipping them, turn around and shadowburn ftw.
4. Look back on your victory and be happy that you have ended the fight with 85% life and mana, or higher.
5. Rinse (optional), and repeat.

You should probably listen to Dragoon though, he wrote a lot!
The error occurred on line -1.
TheDragoon,Aug 10 2005, 11:15 AM Wrote:Affliction Talents -&nbsp; 23 points&nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; Improved Corruption&nbsp; rank 5/5
&nbsp; Improved Life Tap&nbsp; rank 2/2
&nbsp; Improved Life Drain&nbsp; rank 5/5
&nbsp; Fel Concentration&nbsp; rank 5/5
&nbsp; Amplify Curse&nbsp; rank 1/1
&nbsp; Grim Reach&nbsp; rank 2/2
&nbsp; Nightfall&nbsp; rank 2/2
&nbsp; Siphon Life&nbsp; rank 1/1

Demonology Talents -&nbsp; 5 points&nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; Demonic Embrace&nbsp; rank 5/5

Destruction Talents -&nbsp; 23 points&nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; Improved Shadow Bolt&nbsp; rank 5/5
&nbsp; Bane&nbsp; rank 5/5
&nbsp; Improved Lash of Pain&nbsp; rank 2/2
&nbsp; Devastation&nbsp; rank 5/5
&nbsp; Shadowburn&nbsp; rank 1/1
&nbsp; Intensity&nbsp; rank 2/2
&nbsp; Destructive Reach&nbsp; rank 2/2
&nbsp; Ruin&nbsp; rank 1/1
[right][snapback]85668[/snapback][/right]
This is the way I was leaning after playing around with the calculator more. The only change I might make is to take two points (undecided as to where) and move them into Improved Healthstone. I was torn deciding between having pets do a better job of tanking and doing large chunks of damage myself through the possibility of huge crits. I guess my love of Lochnar, my mage, pushed me in this direction rather than super pets. I still think this will be the character that is most demanding of a respec. The other classes, once I decided a direction, seemed to more readily lay themselves out. The exception might be the hunter. My horde hunter is in his mid 20's and my alliance one is mid teens so I haven't played with their builds a lot. I suspect that pets will be an issue in the decisions for both of them as well.

If anyone else cares to add to the discussion, I am still open to other builds since I will only be a short way into this one. It is a long way to 60, especially when I am trying to get all my alts leveled to about the same level range as they all move up.

[edit] This is what I am going to try.
[Image: lochlock_build.jpg]
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Aug 9 2005, 07:13 PM Wrote:"I'll take 5 of those, 3 of those, 2 of those...."&nbsp; "Sorry son, but do you have enough to spend on all those?"

I have this great little killing machine - some people would call it a warlock.&nbsp; He is in his teens so he is starting to look at talents.&nbsp; My Googlefoo and LurkerLoungefoo must be really failing me.&nbsp; I am having a hard time finding suggestions for good builds.&nbsp; I do find some builds, but I find that any builds that do get posted are immediately countered with something to the effect of "That sux0rs!&nbsp; <talent tree here> is worthless unless you go to <uber talent here>."&nbsp; I've even found builds (only looked at ones posted recently) that sound great, only to find that you can't actually build them because they are missing pre-reqs or require too many points.&nbsp; When I try to go through and create the Lochlock™ build, I run out of points way before I've picked up all the things that seem must have to me.

Lissa - Drasca - Zippyy - ? - what builds have you gone with since the talent changes?&nbsp; I would also like to see builds (current or planned) that any others have.&nbsp; I want to concentrate on having pets do the hands on work for me, but I don't know if that really requires much investment in the demonology tree.&nbsp; Are any of the 31 point talents worthwhile?&nbsp; Dark Pact seems good for the go go go factor, but it seems it could be replaced with drinking.&nbsp; Soul Link sounds good for survivability, but, if I was going that far, I would want to go through Master Demonologist and I don't know that I would want to place 15 points in the pre-reqs for that.

Any help in deciding which nummies I should buy would be greatly appreciated.&nbsp; The shop owner would like it too because my nose and hand prints keep messing up his display case glass. :lol:
[right][snapback]85635[/snapback][/right]

The early life cycle of the Warlock will mainly be split in the Affliction with some cross over into Demonolgy and Destruction. Until you get in to the high 40s, most Warlocks stick with mostly Affliction with a slight pull from Demonolgy and Destruction. It is when you hit end game that things change dramatically to some degree depending on your taste of play (I'm Shadow Mastery/Ruin and will probably never change unless Blizzard does more changes to the talent trees and buffs up Demology and/or Destruction that benefits my play style).

For the early talents, levels 10 through 14 is typically the Improved Corruption build where, by level 14, you get instant cast corruption, very handy allowing you to cast on the run two of your DoTs, Corruption and Curse of Agony.

From levels 15 to 19, there are two possibilities, getting Demonic Embrace (+15% Stamina at the expense of -5% Spirit which is a good choice due to the Warlock's Life Tap making Spirit basically a useless stat) or going with Improved Drain Life (reason to get this is to immediately get Fel Concentration at 20 - 24).

Depending on which you chose will take you to the branch from 20 to 24, where someone that went Demonic Embrace might look closely at getting Improved Void Walker so that the VW tanks better or if they went Drain Life then going with Fel Concentration so that as they hit 24, there is only a 30% chance per hit that you lose ticks of damage (this is called Drain Tanking when you use Drain Life with the Fel Concentration talent as you can take a good amount of damage while killing the mob).

For the most part though, by the time you're in your Low 40s, most Warlocks end up pretty heavy in Affliction, typically going all the way down to Dark Pact. Typical talents grabbed in that time period are:

Improved Corruption (5/5)
Improved Lifetap (2/2)
Improved Drain Life (5/5)
Fel Concentration (5/5)
Nightfall (2/2)
Grim Reach (2/2)
Life Siphon (1/1)
Shadow Mastery (5/5)
Dark Pact (1/1)
and 3+ points placed into other talents in Affliction of choice (either Amp Curse, Curse of Exhaution, Improved Curse of Exhaution, or the resist reduction talent [can't remember it's name right now])

Other talents choosen between Demonlogy and Destruction might be:
Demonic Embrace (5/5)
One Improved Demon (3/3) (Typically Imp or VW)
Improved Shadowbolt (5/5)
Bane (5/5)

Once you hit the high 40s and start moving closer to 60, you will begin to get your raid feel for the game and will very likely spend money on a talent respec or two before hitting 60. At that point, you start to look at your raid build and here it varies between Warlocks as there are certain builds that help your play style as a Warlock. I, like a number of Warlocks, prefer the SM/Ruin build (Affliction Build skipping the Drain Tanking talents, Improved Drain Life and Fel Concentration, to get other talents that help more in raid situations with Destruction up to Ruin). Other builds that mirror this on the Demonology side is the MC/Ruin build and sacrificing your Succubus to improve shadow damage. There are still others that tri-build putting about 8 points into Demonology for Improved Imp and Demonic Embrace and then building out in Destruction and Affliction to taste as well.

In the end though, what build you go with at the end game will be what suits you best.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
LochnarITB,Aug 10 2005, 04:37 PM Wrote:[edit] This is what I am going to try.
[Image: lochlock_build.jpg]
[right][snapback]85696[/snapback][/right]
I think going down the destruction tree without getting shadowburn is a mistake. It is an instant nuke, and 'locks don't have many of those, and it's likely much more useful than Improved Lash of Pain or even Destructive Reach. When I first looked at your build idea, I wondered how you could get both Imp Lash of Pain AND destructive reach for only 22 points, and thought the calc was broken, but then I noticed the lack of shadowburn. I think it's a great 11 point investment, and some builds go 11 points in destruction just for this talent. Your build is quite similar to one I had for awhile, and think it's a good build, but I think you will come to regret not getting shadowburn.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
bonemage,Aug 11 2005, 04:10 PM Wrote:but I think you will come to regret not getting shadowburn.
[right][snapback]85774[/snapback][/right]
At this point, not having shadowburn was a given for one reason - it requires a soul shard (unless I am mistaken). I have a hard enough time remembering to gather shards for the VW and health and soul stones. If a skill requires a regent, I find that I always hesitate to use it. I have even died many times because I was too stingy to use a potion, thinking that I would be able to pull off the kill before they got me. As I said, I am sure this critter will get a respec along the way, but I don't think it will be to get shadowburn. (watch me post in a month or so raving about how great shadowburn is :lol: )
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I levelled pretty much the whole way with a Demonology focused build and was very satisifed with it. The theory being that instead of using a high damage pet and pulling aggro off it to drain tank, I'd let the improved VW hold their attention and nuke/wand away. In practice it's not always that simple (especially against multiples) but it's still a very effective solo build.

I'm Demon Mastery/Ruin right now - Demon Mastery is a great, great talent. Not that it was an easy choice - there is a LOT of good stuff in the other trees.

Oh, and get shadowburn. Farm shards on trash, burn them on bosses. How many other classes can store power for the hard fights?
LochnarITB,Aug 11 2005, 04:30 PM Wrote:At this point, not having shadowburn was a given for one reason - it requires a soul shard (unless I am mistaken).&nbsp; I have a hard enough time remembering to gather shards for the VW and health and soul stones.
[right][snapback]85789[/snapback][/right]
The great thing about Shadowburn (now that it's fixed) is that while it consumes a shard, it returns a new shard if it's the killing blow on a mob. So usually you use it as a finisher, and it feeds itself by getting another shard back.

What I find myself doing is carrying a few extra shards (say 3) in case of emergency. If I really need a lot of DPS and I know it's going to be a close fight, I'll use those extra shards early on for more frontloaded damage. It's only a 15-sec cooldown, so you can really crank them out if you need a burst of DPS.

I've had specs with it, and without it, but I keep going back to it. You can sure live without it, but it's a nice skill to have. Especially PvP. :shuriken:

Kv
Warlocks are really a series of 'mini builds', objective talents you really want, and avoiding the wasteful ones.

Newbies warlocks tend to pick non-functioning, or less useful talents. You basically don't know what's used for what and why, so end up making bad choices. Some talents are more useful than others, for oter reasons. I'll go over some of the talents, when and why to choose them.

Affliction tree commentary:

Your mini-tree objectives here are
1) Instant corruption 5 pts
2) Improved life tap 7 pts
3) Nightfall 17 pts
4) Curse of Exuastion / Siphon 26 pt

Keep these goals and costs in mind when building secondary trees.

Affliction Tier 1:

Suppression: This is an end game PvE talent. When leveling, don't choose this. In benefit gives you extended fear times before your dots / damage breaks fear, and enables you to tackle enemies higher than your level and ones with high resistences. In terms of leveling, you'll be battling enemies near your level, and generally don't resist much against your spells. 63e enemies in MC or UBRS / End game however do resist, so its worth considering for PvE.

vs

Instant Corruption: Absolute must early on. Enables you to cast your dot on the run, and greatly adds to your damage at early levels.

At end game, its a PvP talent. Not useful in 5 man or raid PvE content, except for occasional nightfall (instant shadowbolt proc talent). In pvp, extremely useful 1v1 and group when combined with nightfall.

Result: Instant Corruption (IC) all the way until end game, where IC turns into a mainly PvP talent, and then suppression can shine, but only if you're regularly raiding end game PvE content.

Extremely good talent from 1-60. Useless for 60+ PvE content. Great for PvP.

Affliction Tier 2:
Improved Life Tap: You'll be using life tap all the time by end game. 100 mana per tap x literally dozens of taps is a lot of mana. Always worth taking imo, but a few people have gone without.

Extremely useful, but you can live without.

Improved Life drain: The spell to use in between shadowbolt casts. You'll use it all the time, why not improve it, and the efficiency of dots --> lite tap --> life drain cycle.

Again, you have room to work with for personal preference between life drain and improved life tap. 20% more mana is generally better than 4% more damage in life drain, but its up to you. Later on, you'll decide what to use your 'swing' talent points in for personal preference.

The rest, Curse of Weakness / Agony / Drain soul simply either don't work or work extremely marginally. Do not invest in these.

Affliction Tier 3:
Fel concentration: The best affliction talent around. Allows you to life drain better, gather soul shards easier, and generally solo your way through everything. If you have 10 pts into affliction, this is the next 5 to get.

Absolute must get.

Amp Curse:
Useful, but not nearly as useful as fel concentration. Good for solo amped curse of agony, mainly invested in as a pre-req for Curse of Exhaustion.

Swing talent. Not needed if you don't grab Curse of Exhaustion.

Affliction Tier 4:

Nighfall: Whole point of getting 17 points into Affliction is Nightfall. Absolute must get if you're this far into the tree. Also, if you do get night fall, you must get instant corruption for NF to be useful. NF is also improved by Fel concentration.

Grim Reach: Moderate usefulness. Great for extending fear and life drain ranges, but really just gravy. You can live without it. This is a swing/personal preference talent.

Improved Drain mana-- Pure PvP talent, the only channeled spell that may crit. Worth getting if you do end up PvP'ing a lot, but generally no benefit PvE.

Affliction Tier 5:

Improved Curse of Exhaustion/ CoEx & Siphon life: Requires 26 pt investment into affliction to get these. They both improve PvP talents greatly, but CoEx requires full investment to be useful. Siphon helps your PvE life greatly if you're already this far invested.

CoEx is an absolute god in WSG. It the only snare which is both spammable with no cooldown and no diminising returns. It is also the technically weakest snare in the game in movement terms and duration terms (12 seconds only), but given you can spam it at range, it can be very powerful in PvP, especially WSG.

Tier 6:

Shadow Mastery: I'm hearing reports it now adds to damage after equipment, so its value has increased, but is still greatly valueable regardless. If you're down this far, max as much as you can unless you value another talent more.

Dark Pact: Godly talent. Infinite mana is just godly. Its better than ruin in all PvE content, as Ruin's damage is streaky and an aggro nightmare. Defintely the best leveling talent possible.

Go for affliction to level with. You won't regret it.

Sample affliction tree with PvE leveling in mind:

5/5 IC
2/2 iLT
3/5 iLD
5/5 FC
2/2 NF
1/1 AC
2/2 GR
1/1 SL
1/1 CoEx 3/4 iCoEx
5/5 SM
1/1 DP

Total points used: 31

If you enjoy PvP more (particularly WSG), swap 1 point from SM into fully improving CoEx.

End game PvE may require you to swap points from improved life drain, instant corruption, grim reach and or CoEx to Suppression. I'd recommend 3 points from life drain to suppression.

Consider Maxing Shadow Mastery when end-game with this build.

Destruction tree commentary:

The three mini tree objectives:

1) Shadowburn 11 pts
2) Improved Lash of Pain or Improved Firebolt 13 vs 12 pts
2) Ruin 21 pts
3) Conflagorate ~32 pts (full destruction build

Full destruction tree is different than other builds. You do not use shadowbolt as your nuke, so improved Shadow bolt is unwise. You take cataclysm instead. Immolate will be your best nuke, but mana costly. Pending the next patch, conflagorate will be instant, so even more useful to destruction locks.

Fully Improved Immolate and Emberstorm make for destruction warlocks. Searing pain is a worthy investment too.

Mainly, you go into destruction for shadowburn, or ruin when taking it as a secondary talent. At that point, you use iSB-->Bane-->Shadowburn, and possbly extra pet or crit damage depending on your tastes. Crit is better for end-game pve, but one point into improved firebolt or 2 points into lash of pain greatly add to your dps when you can use your pets.

Firebolt: The second point does not work. Don't invest 2 points into this. One point with the Improved Imp talent will bring your Imp's Burst dps to about 99 dps. However, this conflicts with a dark pact build, as imps will not be

Improved Lash of Pain: Best coupled with a demonology build. Coupled with improved succubus, leads to 98 dps from the pet at end game.

Destructive Reach/Intensity: is a personal preference / swing talent. Useful, but not that useful or necessary.

Aftermath/Intensity: Extremely low on the usefulness scale.

Sample Destruction build:
5/5 Cataclysm
5/5 Bane
1/1 Shadowburn
1/2 Improved Firebolt
5/5 Devastation
4/5 Searing pain
1/1 Ruin
5/5 Immolate
5/5 Emberstorm
1/1 Conflagorate

Total points used: 32.

Intensity / Grim Reach / Pyroclasm / Aftermath are all optional talents. None really needed.

Intensity: Most AoE situations are group where personal interruption doesn't matter, or can be survived with a VW sacrifice beforehand. Intensity does make it easier, but is entirely optional. Only grab it if you have points to spare (which you don't)

Grim Reach: Most fights are also within the 30 yd range. None require you to max range, and All deadly pvp situations will have people fighting inside your 30 yrd range. It does nicely aid Hellfire AoE range

Pyroclasm: Doesn't proc as often as stated. Its less actually than 2% chance to proc per wave, and most of the time you won't get the full 15 waves in. Also, the first wave is purely graphical and does not do actual damage to others or yourself while still taking mana.

Aftermath: Just a very weak talent. Not dependable whereas faster immolates will save your bum.

The rest of your investments improve all your important spells: Searing pain, Immolate, conflag.

Your last objectives are to gain
Instant Corruption, and Improved life tap. Possibly up to night fall, combine IC/iLT and DE/iHS/iImp... or fully improve 17 points into demonology

Fel domination / Master summoning and have two VW sacrifice shields available every 15 minutes.

Both are powerful combinations.

Demonology: Full of swing talents. Only marginally useful (no regrets avoiding) talents are Improved Enslave Demon, Firestone, fel intelliect/stam. Others gain and lose importance as you level.

Mini objectives (potential must haves)
DE/imp/HS Tier 1 Dem talents
Fel Domination Master summoner: 17 pts
Dem Sacrifice: 21 pts
Master Demonology: 30 pts
Soul link: 31 pts

Demonology Tier 1

Improved Imp: Fantastic all around talent choice. Best if you're grouped with main tank in PvE, otherwise stam bonus is not necessary. Coupled with improved firebolt (1/2), can achive astounding burst dps with imp.

No regrets getting Improved Imp in PvE terms. Not worth it if going Master Demonology for a damage focused build.

Demonic Embrace: No regrets getting this. Spirit is near useless to locks.

Improved Healthstone: Primarily PvP and Main tank talent, now that it works for groups. Up to 240 more hp for everyone in a pinch. Very nice.

All very good choices. Improved imp with impved firebolt turns your imp into a chain-gun. For fuller demonology, I suggest full DE and iHS.

Demonology Tier 2

Improved Voidwalker: Your voidwalker can hold aggro against end-game bosses with this talent (I've done it against Strat Baron, there's videos of VW against MC giants). That's how powerful your VW's aggro abilities are when improved.

Improved Health Funnel: Extremely useful when VW tanking when leveling. Loses shine when pets and VW stops being used to tank, and you turn into a damage machine.

Comment for Dem builds
Typically your first 10 points will go into Improved Health stone, Demonic Embrace, then your choice of Improved Imp or Voidwalker.

Demonology Tier 3 & 4

Improved Succubus:
Makes charming CC life a lot easier, and adds signifigiant dps from Succubus when coupled with fully improved Lash of Pain 2/2.

Fel Domination / Master summoning: Must haves in the demonology tree. Life with pets is much easier with halved mana and cast times. Even better when its near instant and minimum mana costs.

Unholy Power: Required for Master demonology. Fun talent. Best with an Orc. Grab it after Fel domination.

Demonology Tier 5

Improved Enslave Demon:
Only good when you're specifically going to summon doomguards against onyxia and MC bosses. Otherwise, don't bother unless you're low level and plan to respec at 60.

Imprved Firestone:
Make sure to get thrash blade from Maradaun if you plan to use this. Its a 'fun' talent. Very fun to melee with though.

Dem Sacrifice:
Absolute must get at 21 points if you've gone this far. Actual bonus varies, but very fun versatile talent.

Demonology Tier 6 & 7

Master Demonology:
Again, adds to your versalitility. MC spell damage that wipe others will feel like a gentle breeze with this talent, or lowers aggro generation or adds to your damage. All very good aspects.

PvE talent though. Not supreme in PvP, but does let you make mages into your personal playthings.

Soul link: Absolutely godly in solo and small 1-5 player engagements pvp and pve. You can tank and survive what no other casters can. Absolutely nothing can 1-2 shot you while this talent is up.

Combined with Intensity, you are one the ultimate stationary aoe'r. Hellfire self-damage is split between your and your pet, thus enabling you to hellfire for a very long time, and any damage you do take when stealing aggro is split too, thus you survive when mages won't.

Not without consequences, its mana costly and negates shielding buffs, so must be cancelled once your pet dies.

Fully Demonologists are demons in themselves: You can get up to 10-20k damage absorbtion using fully improved demonology talents and lock abilities. That's fairly insane. 2 VW shields va Fel Domination = 5200 damage absorbed, plus damage halved by soul link, and extra 1440 health from healthstone and health ganed from life drain.

Or... choose felhunter and avoid magic damage all together, fully halve or 2/3 damage from resistences alone. Even more is reversed from soul link. Magic damage is a breeze to you.

Improved Spellstone is not worth mentioning. Its reallya Tier 1 value talent having no place at the end of the Demonology tree. There are better places to spend this. Its actually less useful than improved healthstone. If it gave magical resistence or immunity for 30 seconds in addition to absorbtion, that would be interesting.

So, while you're low level, I recommend goingn the affliction tree I mentioned up through level 40. Then grab shadowburn or fel domination. I've gone through almost all builds, and Dark Pact/Shadowburn and Soul link / Nightfall were my two favorites. I currently use a hybrid of both, Soul link / Shadowburn / iLoP

Don't bother with crit / ruin until you're level 60. Go with the affliction build I recommended up through 40. That'll keep you busy for a few weeks, and give you maximum versatility. Curse of Exhaustion is worth 4-10% less damage in life drain / Shadowbolt, considering you have no escape/chase down options in PvE/PvP without it. (CoR is exception in PvE chase down, but you'll still want CoEx).

There's no arguement the build I suggest is a focused leveling build, that'll give you the option to escape and toy around in WSG early on. You'll also enjoy fear coupled with CoEx, as its far more controlled that way. Try it my way, you'll have no regrets.
Zippyy,Aug 10 2005, 11:56 AM Wrote:You should probably listen to Dragoon though, he wrote a lot!
[right][snapback]85672[/snapback][/right]

I agree with listening to Dragoon, he's provided some solid advice. So has Lissa, although his suggested affliction tree doesn't include the all-mighty curse of exhaustion.
Quote:My tactics while soloing go like this:
Weak equipment (just teasing/showing off). I've got over 350 in +shadow damage now, and am specced for damage.

Standard mobs tend to die like this:

Shadowbolt, shadowbolt, pet attacks, shadowbolt, dead.

If I get a crit, its one less shadowbolt.

Point is, locks can output an insane amount of damage while generally staying behind the aggro curve if the tank is both good and well equipped. Brush off the damage if he is not.
LochnarITB,Aug 11 2005, 05:30 PM Wrote:I have even died many times because I was too stingy to use a potion, thinking that I would be able to pull off the kill before they got me.
[right][snapback]85789[/snapback][/right]

You won't be hestitant because killing blows essentially don't use up said shard reagent.

You'll also consume healthstones a lot more often, since you can generate them in-field. You certainly use mana citrines, don't you? In PvE, it's generally the same way. You'll only be clogging for space once you're 60+ with 3x spares of equipment specializing for stamina, damage, resistences or crit.

MD/Ruin is a PvE/AV build. Eh. I suppose nice for normal servers, but I don't recommend it. Soul link gives much more utility for PvE up until 40 man raids.
A bit OT, but nevertheless a very interesting tipp for Warlocks. I've copied this from the AB Caster forum:

Quote:Neat Warlock Trick

Apparently, if you arnt happy with one of your pets names, you can do this /script PetAbandon()
Your pet will be like new and have a new, random name. You will have to rebuy the max rank of each of the pets skills though. If you dont like the new name, just do it again. Only costs a shard each time. :)

"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Thanks for such an extensive post and thanks to all the other replies as well. Like I said, this is probably the only character I will end up respeccing. For now, I am having a blast with him. I've solo killed level+1 gold dragon elites and level+2 silver. If I get runners, the usual thought is, "Good, grab another for me so I don't have to go find it myself." :D I really don't see why more people don't harness the power of the warlock. Come to the dark side! :ph34r:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."