Google's Instant Messenger
http://www.google.com/talk/

Quote:They say talk is cheap. Google thinks it should be free. Google Talk enables you to call or send instant messages to your friends for free–anytime, anywhere in the world. Google Talk offers you:

* Choice: Get in touch how and when you want to–over email, IM or a call

* Quality: Talk through your computer but hear your friends as if they were in the same room

* Convenience: Your Gmail contacts are pre-loaded into Google Talk so inviting or talking to your friends is just a click away

Google Talk is in beta and requires a Gmail username and password.

I hate instant messaging programs but I love Google. If anyone needs a Gmail invite I have about 200 to give away.
Could be good. I initially assumed that Gmail would be nothing but a cheap Hotmail clone, but have been happier with it than my ISP's POP3 account.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
DeeBye,Aug 23 2005, 11:57 PM Wrote:http://www.google.com/talk/
I hate instant messaging programs but I love Google.  If anyone needs a Gmail invite I have about 200 to give away.
[right][snapback]87080[/snapback][/right]

May I please have a gmail invite? :D
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Aug 24 2005, 09:47 AM Wrote:May I please have a gmail invite? :D
[right][snapback]87092[/snapback][/right]

PM me your email address, and I'll send you one when I get back from work.
Tried this out this morning. It seems that the Jabber server on gmail.com does not allow for chat room creation, or even joining a room on another Jabber server when logged in to the gmail.com server.

Hopefully this feature will be added soon.
DeeBye,Aug 23 2005, 11:57 PM Wrote:I have about 200 to give away.

How do you manage to get all those? I think I only have 2 or something similar.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
:(
WarLocke,Aug 24 2005, 04:59 PM Wrote:How do you manage to get all those?  I think I only have 2 or something similar.
[right][snapback]87121[/snapback][/right]

Between my wife and I we have 4 Gmail accounts. One day we magically got 50 invites per account. Maybe I won the Gmail invite lottery.
vor_lord,Aug 24 2005, 12:25 PM Wrote:Tried this out this morning.  It seems that the Jabber server on gmail.com does not allow for chat room creation, or even joining a room on another Jabber server when logged in to the gmail.com server.

Hopefully this feature will be added soon.
[right][snapback]87102[/snapback][/right]

It's still in very early beta, so I'm sure Google will add a ton of new features down the road.
DeeBye,Aug 24 2005, 04:50 PM Wrote:It's still in very early beta, so I'm sure Google will add a ton of new features down the road.
[right][snapback]87126[/snapback][/right]

We can only hope. I mainly use MSN messenger - not because I particularly like the program but because everyone I know refuses to use anything else. Google will have to offer something more if they want to convince people to start from scratch for buddy lists, email addresses and such.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Aug 24 2005, 06:14 PM Wrote:We can only hope.  I mainly use MSN messenger - not because I particularly like the program but because everyone I know refuses to use anything else.  Google will have to offer something more if they want to convince people to start from scratch for buddy lists, email addresses and such.

gekko
[right][snapback]87127[/snapback][/right]

From http://www.google.com/talk/about.html

Quote:Google Talk also supports standards-based communication clients, which means that Gmail users can access the Google Talk service and exchange instant messages using other clients that support the standard XMPP protocol, such as Trillian, GAIM, iChat, Adium, and Psi. This allows users to access the Google Talk service for instant messaging from all major platforms, including OSX, Linux, and Windows.

It sounds like they are heading in the right direction.

I also tested voice chat with someone last night. I don't have a microphone, but I was able to hear the other user just as clearly as if I was talking to him on the phone. I might get my parents to install this thing so we could save on long distance phone calls. It also might be handy for online games, assuming that Google adds group chat sometimes in the future.
Its all about group chat.

If they add that I suspect they will have a rush of gamers.
DeeBye,Aug 24 2005, 12:57 AM Wrote:http://www.google.com/talk/
I hate instant messaging programs but I love Google.  If anyone needs a Gmail invite I have about 200 to give away.
If I'm not mistaken, google is also trying to "replace" Microsoft with free web based software immediately available for download. What's really nice is I just searched for gmail on google, and got an account :).

The creators of google are quite clever. I wish I were that clever sometimes.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
whathuh,Aug 24 2005, 06:34 PM Wrote:The creators of google are quite clever.  I wish I were that clever sometimes.

The two original creators of google.com sold the website/business. As far as I know, they themselves are no longer involved in new google projects.

I agree with the jist of your message though, they create some very clever ways of doing some very old (and some very new) tasks.

Cheers,

Munk
What are you smoking?
I've never used IM in my life. I did come across a review of the Google IM which might be of interest.
Arstechnica reviews Google IM
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
I can not create a gmail account.

I keep getting java null lang errors on the account creation page, which totally blows. Looks like the drop down selection menus are a little Windows-centric.

BAH HUMBUG!
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Hi,

Munkay,Aug 25 2005, 01:23 AM Wrote:The two original creators of google.com sold the website/business.  As far as I know, they themselves are no longer involved in new google projects.
Sergey Brin and Larry Page have developed the search engine and (more importantly) the famous search results ranking algorithm ('PageRank'), have founded the company Google and are still working at the company, being President of Technology and Products respectively (see Google's own list of management). They are still in charge of where Google is heading.

And while I love the original PageRank idea and like most people use Google almost exclusively because it works so well compared to other search engines, I'm a bit wary of the company. They have immense power: Sites that are not in Google's database virtually don't exist for most users, given their near-monopoly status. They almost have a gatekeeper function for information on the internet, making them potentially more powerful than Microsoft in my mind. There already have been examples of Google removing sites from its database without telling anyone (an anti-Scientology website, for example), making the site invisible to most users. Controlling the access to information means power! And now they are trying to get into other information markets like email - I'm not sure I like that. They have mostly played nice until now; let's hope they won't abuse their power in the future.

Or maybe I'm just furious I wasn't allowed to buy Google shares as a non-American ... :P

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Doc,Aug 24 2005, 08:45 PM Wrote:I can not create a gmail account.

I keep getting java null lang errors on the account creation page, which totally blows. Looks like the drop down selection menus are a little Windows-centric.

BAH HUMBUG!
[right][snapback]87146[/snapback][/right]
Try using a different 'puter to get through the registration process?

-rcv-