Possible server transfers to any server
fractaled,Dec 16 2005, 03:16 AM Wrote:Are you sure? My understanding was that D2-open had battle.net as the matchmaker with characters stored on the clients. And D2-realms had battle.net as the matchmaker AND ran the games themselves. If not, I don't see how D2-realms is any more secure than D2-open. And thinking about this, if what you say is true, how is that a solo player could leave a game and rejoin with a different character? Obviously some of the state must be persisted by battle.net.
And you're totally missing the point. It isn't 8 vs 3000+, they've obviously *already* got servers that handle 3000 chars (or two that handle 1500). It's allowing you to log on to any game-server in your realm. The biggest obstacles that I see to this are the mail and auction systems (and cross-server chat/guild stuff). Other than that, the worlds are largely static, so once you've loaded your character from the database, it doesn't really matter what server you're on.
[right][snapback]97243[/snapback][/right]

But wouldn't go against the "You can only have *this much* fun this week" raid restrictions, timered quests (Barov-slaying, right?), and the like?
"One day, o-n-e day..."
I find that 40$ would be a high price. I was expecting it to be no more that 10$.

Still, I would immediately spend it to move my shaman off of the PvP server he currently lives on.

Quark,Dec 16 2005, 01:31 AM Wrote:Show me a multiplayer game that's one-realm and I'll show you a multiplayer game that's seriously flawed at its core.
Guild Wars takes place on just one realm.

"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining, or testing your
code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
jhartelt,Dec 16 2005, 11:09 AM Wrote:Guild Wars takes place on just one realm.
[right][snapback]97277[/snapback][/right]

Don't get me started on how GW is flawed. I'll let Quark do that.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune

No, it doesn't. Anytime you go out in the world, you're split from everyone else. As far as I remember (only played beta), only the cities are "one realm". Even then, you don't see everyone. You see everyone in your numbered section. To see a friend, you have to actively go to the same number.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!

Guild wars isn't a persistant world. everytime you move to a new area it's exactly as if nobodies ever been there before. You can't have a persistant world MMO without having multiple servers. Guild wars is also designed to have most of the game run on the clients computer so that the main server doesnt have to mess with all the multiple instances. You can't do that in a persistant world MMO.
Quark,Dec 16 2005, 06:38 PM Wrote:No, it doesn't.  Anytime you go out in the world, you're split from everyone else.  As far as I remember (only played beta), only the cities are "one realm".  Even then, you don't see everyone.  You see everyone in your numbered section.  To see a friend, you have to actively go to the same number.
To actually meet up in game, yes. But that is beside the point of the original poster. He was complaining about character transfer being neccessary at all in WoW. No thing like a character transfer will be neccessary in Guild Wars, because all of the characters are already in the same environment and can meet up with whomever they want.

Chesspiece_face,Dec 16 2005, 06:40 PM Wrote:Guild wars isn't a persistant world.  everytime you move to a new area it's exactly as if nobodies ever been there before.
That is true for WoW and EQ also. All of these games are sort of caught up in a time loop which runs only for a few minutes.

Guild Wars actually has the neccessary means to change that, because instanced zones can be generated dependant on the history of the character(s) entering it. I have no idea to what extent they are making use of this feature though, since I left GW during the beta.

What is your point? Perhaps the word "realm" I have been quoting is misleading? To my understanding "realms" are used in MMO games to divide up the potentially limitless number of users into managable groups of users. Before going to play, a user has to chose in which group (=on which realm) to play. No such choice is available in GW.
jhartelt,Dec 16 2005, 05:41 PM Wrote:Guild Wars actually has the neccessary means to change that, because instanced zones can be generated dependant on the history of the character(s) entering it. I have no idea to what extent they are making use of this feature though, since I left GW during the beta.

How much use? Some. Completed quests change things such as enemy spawns in various areas.

No, it's not all one world. That was kinda the point of instanceing it - and anyone who claims that such an approach is *better* or *worse* then the WoW "Open world" is trying to compare apples with oranges, and/or has his head in his...

However, that does mean it is quite free of the "I have a level 9483 character on the wrong server" problem.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,Dec 17 2005, 03:58 AM Wrote:However, that does mean it is quite free of the "I have a level 9483 character on the wrong server" problem.
That is all I wanted to say, thanks :)