Dedicated Lurker Lounge TeamSpeak Server
I realized there was a need for a dedicated Lounge Teamspeak server. I hadn't set it up in the past because I believed (erroneously) that servers had to pay a fee for usage. That's only if it's used by a for-profit organization.

Since we happily run quite in the red here, I set up a Teamspeak server that can be accessed by Lurkers of all servers.

lurkerlounge.com:8767 is now online. Feel free to use.

Suggestions welcome, if there's a setting that needs to be put in. I will be monitoring the server for bandwidth and possible abuse to see if password access will be required.

Hope to talk to you soon!

Don't have Teamspeak? What are you waiting for? Even without a microphone, you can still listen in. Go download TeamSpeak here.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jul 20 2005, 04:57 PM Wrote:Suggestions welcome, if there's a setting that needs to be put in.  I will be monitoring the server for bandwidth and possible abuse to see if password access will be required.
[right][snapback]83966[/snapback][/right]

I recommend that you put a password in place. IIRC there are automated programs which can take over an unprotected teamspeak server. Perhaps those only will target you if you list your server somewhere--I'm not sure (it's been quite a while since I started using TeamSpeak and this info dates from back then).

That said this is pretty cool. We've had a few servers around so now there should be less confusion.
Bolty,Jul 20 2005, 06:57 PM Wrote:I realized there was a need for a dedicated Lounge Teamspeak server.  I hadn't set it up in the past because I believed (erroneously) that servers had to pay a fee for usage.  That's only if it's used by a for-profit organization.

Since we happily run quite in the red here, I set up a Teamspeak server that can be accessed by Lurkers of all servers.

lurkerlounge.com:8767 is now online.  Feel free to use.

Suggestions welcome, if there's a setting that needs to be put in.  I will be monitoring the server for bandwidth and possible abuse to see if password access will be required.

Hope to talk to you soon!

Don't have Teamspeak?  What are you waiting for?  Even without a microphone, you can still listen in.  Go download TeamSpeak here.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]83966[/snapback][/right]

I'd recommend setting up default username/password get some other people registered as admins so that they can get other people registered so people can make channels on there and and such. Since this could be used for WoW, D2, whatever seperate channels are going to be a must for some of that.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
One thing I dislike about Teamspeak config is that if you create a channel with default settings you will automatically make it with the lowest bandwidth codec available to the server. I suggest using the webadmin console to set it to a decent 'mid-bandwidth' codec like Speex 9.3 as a minimum, so if people make channels they don't accidentally make poor quality ones.

I know people can easily choose the codec from the drop down. But my experience is that people generally don't.

I don't know a way to set the default channel creation codec to whatever I want on my TS server, but I am a relative n00b at administrating, basically if it's not on the web interface I don't know how to do it.

Also, thanks a bunch Bolty. Even though my own TS server on my DSL line seems to handle Terenas traffic quite adequately (all 5 max concurrent users I've had on it at once :D ), it's good to have an 'official' Lurkers server.

Bolty rocks.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Okay, I will set up a password on it tonight, due to recommendations made here and on Stormrage last night. Those on Stormrage can get the password in the GMotD - anyone who doesn't have access to that but wants to use it (and it's open for use by any Lurkers for any game) can just PM me.

GG - currently I think it's set so that everyone is a channel admin? I know little about Teamspeak, aside from what it took to set it up on this web server's linux box. I agree separate channels are needed, but I think that right now everyone has the right to make their own channel. Getting into administration rules and who has the right to do what would really restrict things, since I wanted this to be open to all Lurkers who might want to use it for anything (D1, D2, WoW, Guild Wars, whatever).

vor_lord - I bet a linux install is more secure than a windows one, but you're not the only one who has recommended a password so I'll put one in place. Once word gets around what the password is, it should be no trouble for trusted newcomers to find it.

Concillian - Thanks, I know nothing of these codecs and will look into changing the default. If that default is based on the client interface, however, there's nothing I can do about that. The web admin interface seems to let you deny codecs, but I don't know about defaults...

To all, keep the suggestions coming and please try the server out to see if it's configured in a way that will be beneficial to all Lurkers.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jul 21 2005, 04:19 AM Wrote:vor_lord - I bet a linux install is more secure than a windows one, but you're not the only one who has recommended a password so I'll put one in place.

[right][snapback]83979[/snapback][/right]

The issue I was talking about is not something that will be a security risk to the host, so much as a mischief causer with TS. It will create channels, kick people, and wreak a little havoc. As such I believe a linux install would be no better in this case.

(that said both Concillian's and bonemage's servers are also running on linux, not sure if there are significant differences)
vor_lord,Jul 21 2005, 11:29 AM Wrote:The issue I was talking about is not something that will be a security risk to the host, so much as a mischief causer with TS.  It will create channels, kick people, and wreak a little havoc.  As such I believe a linux install would be no better in this case.

(that said both Concillian's and bonemage's servers are also running on linux, not sure if there are significant differences)
[right][snapback]83994[/snapback][/right]

Just a question, but are we as a goup going to have some sort of priority list for all the TS servers that are coming up. I know I have done some questing lately with guild members on Bonemage's TS, but as we get new ones set up, it may become a bit cumbersome trying to get everyone connected on TS when trying to build up groups. Just something to think about from an organizational standpoint, it seems to me. :)
VoiceMan
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
Bolty,Jul 21 2005, 05:19 AM Wrote:(and it's open for use by any Lurkers for any game)

-Bolty

Just a quick question that I think needs to be made clear. Is it meant to be for Lurkers only? Basically my question is: if a Lurker plays on a non-Lurker server with people, would it be alright for him/her to use the server and give the people he is playing with the info? In my mind this would still be "use by any lurker", but it also involves use by non-Lurkers and so I think the stance on this needs to be made clear. It doesn't really matter to me, because we use ventrilo on the non-Lurker servers I'm on. Just thought it would be good to make it clear.
swirly,Jul 21 2005, 12:54 PM Wrote:Just a quick question that I think needs to be made clear.&nbsp; Is it meant to be for Lurkers only?&nbsp; Basically my question is: if a Lurker plays on a non-Lurker server with people, would it be alright for him/her to use the server and give the people he is playing with the info?&nbsp; In my mind this would still be "use by any lurker", but it also involves use by non-Lurkers and so I think the stance on this needs to be made clear.&nbsp; It doesn't really matter to me, because we use ventrilo on the non-Lurker servers I'm on.&nbsp; Just thought it would be good to make it clear.
[right][snapback]84000[/snapback][/right]
They can use it, as long as they are wearing their Lurker Lounge t-shirt at the time. :D

IMHO, common sense prevails and this should probably be used as a Lurker tool. If the server becomes predominantly populated by non-Lukers playing Counterstrike, well then we have another problem.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

VoiceMan,Jul 21 2005, 10:22 AM Wrote:Just a question, but are we as a goup going to have some sort of priority list for all the TS servers that are coming up.&nbsp; I know I have done some questing lately with guild members on Bonemage's TS, but as we get new ones set up, it may become a bit cumbersome trying to get everyone connected on TS when trying to build up groups.&nbsp; Just something to think about from an organizational standpoint, it seems to me.&nbsp; :)
VoiceMan
[right][snapback]83997[/snapback][/right]
With the domain name of the TS server the same as our community, it seems to me that Bolty has trumped us all with his setup. His is the official one as far as I'm concerned, and I would prefer to leave mine as just a backup when the main one is down/crowded. The great thing about one TS server for all lurkers, is that it's easier to talk with lurkers on other realms/games, and most right now have been a little more realm specific. I'm also much more comfortable knowing everyone who is connecting to my server, with me whispering out the connection information for any that don't have it.

TeamSpeak also makes it easy to have several servers with stored connection information so switching servers (if needed) will be simple. Use "Connect" rather than "Quick Connect" on the client and you'll see the additional options.

A couple notes about TS: A lot of new TS users require some tweaking with audio settings, and can cause looping by default, and by looping I mean every player's broadcast speech is replayed back by the improperly configured user. It's a huge headache and it's quite annoying. If you find yourself replaying and people complain it's you (the person with the problemd often doesn't hear it), create a channel for yourself and for whoever might be helping you. If I'm available, I'll join your channel and offer help if you desire, just whisper me. Be advised that a looping user can be muted by the other players (and likely will be for sanity's sake), so even if you fix the issue you might be muted by everyone else, so a whisper to another player is appropriate when you're ready to test.

Also, if you are going to use a mic and join in the speaking, remember that your mic will likely pick up your speakers, and headphones are recommended to prevent this. Headsets are best and inexpensive because table top mics aren't always the best, and because most of us don't play in proper ergonomic positions all the time, and slouching puts you too far from the mic if it's a tabletop.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
Bolty,Jul 21 2005, 06:19 AM Wrote:GG - currently I think it's set so that everyone is a channel admin?&nbsp; I know little about Teamspeak, aside from what it took to set it up on this web server's linux box.&nbsp; I agree separate channels are needed, but I think that right now everyone has the right to make their own channel.&nbsp; Getting into administration rules and who has the right to do what would really restrict things, since I wanted this to be open to all Lurkers who might want to use it for anything (D1, D2, WoW, Guild Wars, whatever).

The admins and potential registered users was mainly so that creation of channels could be done more easily, that is a non issue with your set-up. The only other major benefit of a registered user is that you can hold you nick. Shouldn't be a big issue for Lurkers though.

I was on the server last night and I will be using this on as my primary TS server for anything that I need TS for. I've got the Carpe Arnum server info stored as well so it's easy enough for me to get on that server if I want to as well, but I plan to use this one for any Lurker WoW, D2, War3, etc related stuff. :)

Other stuff has been covered already in other posts so I won't bother repeating it. Thanks again for setting it up though.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Any other recommendations? I understand most people use "push-to-talk". I'm not used to that but it might be in the best interest of the community if I became used to it, i.e. make it a standard to use push-to-talk.

Bolty?
bonemage,Jul 21 2005, 02:20 PM Wrote:Also, if you are going to use a mic and join in the speaking, remember that your mic will likely pick up your speakers, and headphones are recommended to prevent this.&nbsp; Headsets are best and inexpensive because table top mics aren't always the best, and because most of us don't play in proper ergonomic positions all the time, and slouching puts you too far from the mic if it's a tabletop.
[right][snapback]84002[/snapback][/right]

Speaking of headsets, one problem I've consistently encountered with Teamspeak (and Skype which I use for another game) is that having the headset plugged into the back of the computer is a bit cumbersome. I've tried extension cables but they just let me get tangled in wires instead. What I've been looking for, and haven't yet been able to find, is a wireless PC headset, maybe Bluetooth (mic and headphones both). Has anyone found one that they could recommend?
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Roane,Jul 21 2005, 01:06 PM Wrote:Speaking of headsets, one problem I've consistently encountered with Teamspeak (and Skype which I use for another game) is that having the headset plugged into the back of the computer is a bit cumbersome.&nbsp; I've tried extension cables but they just let me get tangled in wires instead.&nbsp; What I've been looking for, and haven't yet been able to find, is a wireless PC headset, maybe Bluetooth (mic and headphones both).&nbsp; Has anyone found one that they could recommend?
[right][snapback]84012[/snapback][/right]
I did a quick search on that, and any that I found for a PC that were wireless were around $300 USD. I'd like a wireless setup myself, but not at that cost. There are some inexpensive (relatively) blue tooth cell phone headsets, and if there were any cell phone single jack adapter to standard two analog jacks (mic/stereo for a PC) MIGHT allow the use of a cell phone headset with your PC, but that's pure speculation.
vor_lord,Jul 21 2005, 02:52 PM Wrote:Any other recommendations?&nbsp; I understand most people use "push-to-talk".&nbsp; I'm not used to that but it might be in the best interest of the community if I became used to it, i.e. make it a standard to use push-to-talk.

Bolty?
[right][snapback]84009[/snapback][/right]
I'd like to stress again that I'm a total Teamspeak NEWBIE. I've used this stuff once. Just once. I found that push-to-talk made sense.

I suppose that if someone with major teamspeak server-running experience wanted to administer this server, I'd be happy to hook them up with the admin password.

-Bolty
vor_lord,Jul 21 2005, 03:52 PM Wrote:Any other recommendations?&nbsp; I understand most people use "push-to-talk".&nbsp; I'm not used to that but it might be in the best interest of the community if I became used to it, i.e. make it a standard to use push-to-talk.

Bolty?

When a new member came onto CA's TS server, many times they would have feedback - causing an echo effect. Depending on the system, this and just random non-talking sound can really disrupt the server's use. Recommending push-to-talk is easier than making sure everything is set optimally to deny feedback.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
vor_lord,Jul 21 2005, 12:52 PM Wrote:Any other recommendations?&nbsp; I understand most people use "push-to-talk".&nbsp; I'm not used to that but it might be in the best interest of the community if I became used to it, i.e. make it a standard to use push-to-talk.

Bolty?
Unlikely to be required. Any players with "voice activated" settings that trasmit too much will be pointed out by their peers. Those that eat pizza noisely while on TeamSpeak should be encouraged to use "push-to-talk" mode, or mute their mic, but having a standard way to use the TS client is just conforming to conform, which isn't really big here.

I would suggest that the default channel (where you end up when you first join a TS server) be the LFG/general channel, and other groups make their own channel with a clearly identified name. Something like WoW-Realm-Instance, or D2-GameName. Channels for other purposes should be properly named so other players might know what they are getting into if they join to say "hi" to a friend in another channel. The Default channel would be a very inappropriate place to try and run a MC run, but a channel named WoW-Stormrage-MC-DND would work, and other players won't pop in to say "hi" to some player in the raid and distract the player (The DND being Do Not Disturb), meaning the channel creator wants only MC raid members. At least, this is how I would like it done, but know it won't be nearly so organized, and the chaos I see will irk my anal retentive mind until I create my own carefully named channel and let the game distract me. Looking forward to speaking with you all!
Roane,Jul 21 2005, 03:06 PM Wrote:Speaking of headsets, one problem I've consistently encountered with Teamspeak (and Skype which I use for another game) is that having the headset plugged into the back of the computer is a bit cumbersome.&nbsp; I've tried extension cables but they just let me get tangled in wires instead.&nbsp; What I've been looking for, and haven't yet been able to find, is a wireless PC headset, maybe Bluetooth (mic and headphones both).&nbsp; Has anyone found one that they could recommend?
[right][snapback]84012[/snapback][/right]
USB headsets are not uncommon and are less than $100.00. If you have a USB port on the front of your computer that might be a solution for you.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Thank you, Bolty.

@ Concillian and Bonemage,
I would appreciate it if one of you would set up 2 clearly labelled Terenas channels. One for general chat, quests, etc. and one for instances.

------------------------------------------------------------
As guild master, I have no problem with a nonLurker who regularly parties with us joining in the Teamspeak channel during an instance run.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
vor_lord,Jul 21 2005, 12:52 PM Wrote:Any other recommendations?&nbsp; I understand most people use "push-to-talk".&nbsp; I'm not used to that but it might be in the best interest of the community if I became used to it, i.e. make it a standard to use push-to-talk.

I generally suggest PTT to new TS users simply because it takes one factor out of the issues that people can have.

If a users uses headphones/headset and spends 5 minutes setting up the levels properly Voice activation (VA) is a non-issue. However, if someone uses speakers, VA is a nightmare and often results in echoes.

Again, common sense prevails. If you spend the time to setup VA and you don't blow smoke into the mic (my biggest peeve of people on TS is hearing them smoke into the mic), then VA is fine.

I think people here are mostly smart enough to figure out TS setups. When I was playing first person shooters, you'd get some pretty screwed up setups on TS. But I think the people here are generally smarter than the average FPS TS user.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.