The Computer Hardware Question Thread
Roland,Jul 15 2005, 01:05 PM Wrote:Now, you ARE a freak for keeping that horrendously cheap motherboard on your main PC. :P Next time, sink the extra $10 or $20 into a good Asus, ABIT, MSI, or Gigabyte, and I promise you you'll be much happier not only with the quality, but also with the support. :P
[right][snapback]83566[/snapback][/right]

Heh, I have an ABIT MB. Friend of mine who I respect a huge amount for his computer knowledge started immediately telling me it was a mistake, and that ASUS is the way to go. Odd that, no?
Roland,Jul 15 2005, 05:05 PM Wrote:Now, you ARE a freak for keeping that horrendously cheap motherboard on your main PC. :P Next time, sink the extra $10 or $20 into a good Asus, ABIT, MSI, or Gigabyte, and I promise you you'll be much happier not only with the quality, but also with the support. :P
[right][snapback]83566[/snapback][/right]

I didn't have much of a choice when I bought it. I got a pre-built package from a local mom and pop store, and although I did have a few choices as to processor type, RAM type, harddrive etc., the motherboard was the one thing that had to be.

I keep hearing about how awful ECS motherboards are, but I've never had a lick of trouble with mine in the 3 years I've owned it (other than the really bad onboard SiS video, ugh). I don't have any reason to swap it out.
SetBuilder,Jul 15 2005, 06:16 PM Wrote:Heh, I have an ABIT MB. Friend of mine who I respect a huge amount for his computer knowledge started immediately telling me it was a mistake, and that ASUS is the way to go. Odd that, no?
[right][snapback]83574[/snapback][/right]

Pride cometh before the fall. I like Asus and ABIT equally. ECS, OTOH, is simply a cheap board. They skimp on features, both hardware and software, and make inferior products. They are for those who simply don't care about their computers, or those who don't know any better.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
DeeBye,Jul 15 2005, 08:15 PM Wrote:I keep hearing about how awful ECS motherboards are, but I've never had a lick of trouble with mine in the 3 years I've owned it (other than the really bad onboard SiS video, ugh).  I don't have any reason to swap it out.

That isn't reason enough? :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Jul 15 2005, 10:04 PM Wrote:That isn't reason enough? :P
[right][snapback]83584[/snapback][/right]

I don't use the onboard video, so no :shuriken:

Seriously though, if I did not play any 3D games I wouldn't even complain about the onboard graphics. Heck, I haven't even had a reason to update the BIOS in the three years I've owned it. It has been as stable as a rock for me, and Windows Update faithfully installs updated drivers for my onboard sound and NIC. If you GAVE me a new motherboard I wouldn't even install it, because I'd have no reason to.
DeeBye,Jul 15 2005, 09:40 PM Wrote:If you GAVE me a new motherboard I wouldn't even install it, because I'd have no reason to.
[right][snapback]83587[/snapback][/right]

Not even if it were the Fatal1ty!?!
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Jul 16 2005, 12:23 AM Wrote:Not even if it were the Fatal1ty!?!
[right][snapback]83594[/snapback][/right]

Sorry but that's too EXTREME!! for me. I'm not nearly qualified enough to own such a l33t motherboard.

edit: HAHAHAHA! This product description is awesome.

Quote:The Fatal1ty AN8 motherboard represents the culmination of ABIT Engineering with the gaming prowess and experience of the world`s number one professional gamer, Johnathan "Fatal1ty" Wendel. The result of this collaboration is a gaming platform with no equal, specifically engineered for the gamer that demands nothing less than the very best.  Developed with Fatal1ty, the Fatal1ty AN8 delivers the speed to obliterate the competition.
DeeBye,Jul 15 2005, 11:30 PM Wrote:Sorry but that's too EXTREME!! for me.  I'm not nearly qualified enough to own such a l33t motherboard.

edit: HAHAHAHA!  This product description is awesome.
[right][snapback]83597[/snapback][/right]

Developed WITH Fatal1ty. *scoff*
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Jul 15 2005, 11:23 PM Wrote:Not even if it were the Fatal1ty!?!
[right][snapback]83594[/snapback][/right]

I cream my pants everytime I see that board. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Jul 16 2005, 11:09 AM Wrote:I cream my pants everytime I see that board. :D
[right][snapback]83626[/snapback][/right]

TMI, Roland. :huh:
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Hi, Ninjadruid,

Ninjadruid,Jul 14 2005, 03:03 PM Wrote:Hooking up your usb cable
[right][snapback]83433[/snapback][/right]

Thanks very much for the complete reply, it was helpful.

I thought I'd get back here within a day or two of posting, but things went awry...

I think for now, at least, I will stick with my current set-up. At the moment I'm not doing many critical things on the computer, mostly just gaming...

Regards,

Dako-ta

From SM's Alpha Centauri:

"Matter Transmission

The first living thing to go through the device was a small white
rat. I still have him, in fact. As you can see, the damage was
not so great as they say.

-- Academician Prokhor Zakharov,
"See How They Run"
Griselda,Jul 16 2005, 07:18 PM Wrote:TMI, Roland.  :huh:
[right][snapback]83633[/snapback][/right]

It was meant as a joke. I apologize if I offended anyone, and if I did offend, I will edit the post. No harm intended.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Jul 21 2005, 07:31 PM Wrote:It was meant as a joke. I apologize if I offended anyone, and if I did offend, I will edit the post. No harm intended.
[right][snapback]84028[/snapback][/right]

I'm personally offended that you would even think about wanting a Fatal1ty-branded anything.

[center][Image: fatal1ty8uh.jpg][/center]

He looks like a spoiled brat who didn't get his way. I'd rather buy George Costanza's Jon Voight car.
DeeBye,Jul 21 2005, 10:46 PM Wrote:I'm personally offended that you would even think about wanting a Fatal1ty-branded anything.
[center][Image: fatal1ty8uh.jpg][/center]

He looks like a spoiled brat who didn't get his way.  I'd rather buy George Costanza's Jon Voight car.
[right][snapback]84041[/snapback][/right]

I could not care less about who "helped" design the board. I just want the hardware. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*