Cabbage Patch Kid drama!
A few days ago my 2 and a half year old son started piling up pillows in my livingroom. He was apparently building a fort. AWESOME! I love forts. I wanted to help him build his fort. We went around and gathered as many loose pillows as we could find. After careful consideration, we both decided that the bottom shelf of a bookshelf was the optimum place for his fortress. I cleared the shelf of everything and we went to work.

We lined the shelf with pillows so that it would comfortable to lie in. We put some pillows outside it that would act as doors. We nabbed the Winnie the Pooh comforter my wife made as an overall covering. The fort was great. It was missing just one thing.

"Where baby go?", my son asked me as he settled into his fort. I had no idea what he was talking about at first. He certainly wasn't talking about himself because he gets really angry when we refer to him as a baby ("Me big boy now!"). I finally figured out that he was looking for my old Cabbage Patch Kid. He wanted to share his fort with someone else, and my old Cabbage Patch Kid was just the size.

My parents kept all of my childhood toys, and when they found out they were due to be grandparents they returned them to me (you should see the pile of Legos I have). Julian (yes, I recall that my Cabbage Patch Kid's name was Julian) was one of those toys. My mom bought it for me during the great Cabbage Patch Kid craze in the 80's. I guess that my son remembered Julian in that big sack of toys grandma and grandpa brought over. Julian was "Baby", and my son wanted to share his fort with him.

So I dove into the big toy trunk and found Julian. My son was elated. They hung around the fort for awhile whispering to each other. I don't know what they were saying because I was too big to enter their fort but I bet they were talking about me :angry:

Anyways, soon enough my son decided to take Julian out for a stroll. He had a hold of his arm and walked him across the kitchen.

"Baby hold hand inna parking lot CARS COMING!"

I guess he was tired of being bossed around by my wife and I, and decided that he wanted to boss someone littler than him around. I can't say I blame him. Being 2 and a half is tough work.

Julian and my son played nicely with each other for awhile. They settled down in my son's bedroom and my son opened a storybook. All was well in the DeeBye household. Momentary peace :)

I heard the bathroom door open. OH NO! I ran down the hallway. As I reached the bathroom I saw my son standing there holding Julian's arm. I was too late.

"Baby aw wet", my son said. My Cabbage Patch Kid was soaked and dripping.

"Why is the baby all wet?", I asked. "Baby haff baff", he replied. He glanced at the toilet.

"Where did the baby have a bath?" I could tell that my son knew he did something wrong. I had a stern look on my face, but I was stifling a laugh. My son was having a hard time explaining this to me. I felt bad for him, but he needed to get this one out.

"Inna toiwet". He looked down at the floor and pointed at the toilet.

He then looked me right in the eyes and held up Julian. "See? Baby aw keen now!", and had a giant grin on his face.
Nice story - and refreshingly flame proof.
[Image: MeandmyDog.jpg]
That's me on Christmas morn, three years old (a month away from four), with White Doggie. He's a police dog. He likes turkey. His best friend was my sister's leopard, Snuggle, the "cat burglar".

Right now, he's sitting atop my computer desk. His collar is gone, and the metal structure bands within his ears are crimped and broken (giving him a slight floppy-ear effect) but he's still intact.

Hell of a lot dusty-looking, though...

If I ever have a kid— he's not gettin' my dog.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Thanks for starting my day off with a big smile DeeBye!

Cheers,

Munk
Hee, that's cute. :)
Tank for hire.
Thanks for the story, Dee. :)

Do you guys give your son a bath after storytime? Maybe he was trying to follow the "bedtime routine".

In my class, I have one child who likes to try to leave the class and go to the playground on her own. But, in class we always check the weather before we go outside. So, when she tries to go outside, she always checks the weather first. By stopping her from checking the weather, I can keep her in the classroom. :P
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Griselda,Jul 9 2005, 12:27 PM Wrote:Do you guys give your son a bath after storytime?  Maybe he was trying to follow the "bedtime routine".
[right][snapback]82949[/snapback][/right]

Not usually. My son just decided that the Cabbage Patch doll was dirty and needed a bath. Since there was no water in the tub, the toilet was the logical place.

I pulled out a big rubbermaid tote and tried to convince him it has "pretend water" in it, but that didn't work :(