Molten Core, July 15-17
This raid is open to all Basin, GoE, Lurkers members.

July 15th 10pm - 1am server
July 16th 1pm - 5pm server
July 17th 4pm - 10pm server

You need the following to go on this raid:

Level 60
quest: Attunement to the Core.
mod: CT_RaidAssist (latest version) http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=694
mod: Decursive (for dispelling classes) http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=643

I'll post more info later this week. Please see this thread for sign-ups.

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/wow/forums/i...?showtopic=6485

If you're not registered for the Basin forums you can post up here and I'll transfer a list of names over.

--Stitch
Erikkson,Jul 6 2005, 12:01 PM Wrote:You need the following to go on this raid:

<snip>&nbsp;
mod: Decursive (for dispelling classes)&nbsp;
[right][snapback]82621[/snapback][/right]
That let's Aleri out. I was forced to get CTRA for a raid where it looked like I was going to be the only healer for 10 people, but I'll be damned if I'm installing decursive. Have fun. You'll have enough healers anyway so me not being there won't matter.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Jul 6 2005, 09:54 AM Wrote:That let's Aleri out.&nbsp; I was forced to get CTRA for a raid where it looked like I was going to be the only healer for 10 people, but I'll be damned if I'm installing decursive.&nbsp; Have fun.&nbsp; You'll have enough healers anyway so me not being there won't matter.
[right][snapback]82623[/snapback][/right]

I take it you have some dislike of Decursive? Care to elaborate? This isn't cut-and-dry, I'm always open to working with folks on a compromise.
Erikkson,Jul 6 2005, 05:54 PM Wrote:I take it you have some dislike of Decursive? Care to elaborate? This isn't cut-and-dry, I'm always open to working with folks on a compromise.
[right][snapback]82648[/snapback][/right]
I play the game because I enjoy playing. I do not want the game to play itself, which is what mods like decursive do (even if I have to push a button to start it up). To me, decursive is one step away from the auto-healing mods which drive me insane. (BTW, if you aren't a main healer in the group, don't run the auto-heal mods. It will drive your main healer insane to never be allowed to do their job because of that damned thing doing it first.) I also dislike running mods in general because on patch days, I just want to log in and go. The fewer mods I have, the less issues I have on patch days and the less annoying patch days are. CTRA was a necessity when I installed it for the raid (that another priest did join later), but if not for that day, I still probably wouldn't have it installed. BTW, I really hope 1.6 comes out soon so I can drop CTRA asap. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Jul 6 2005, 03:01 PM Wrote:I play the game because I enjoy playing.&nbsp; I do not want the game to play itself, which is what mods like decursive do (even if I have to push a button to start it up).&nbsp; To me, decursive is one step away from the auto-healing mods which drive me insane.&nbsp; (BTW, if you aren't a main healer in the group, don't run the auto-heal mods.&nbsp; It will drive your main healer insane to never be allowed to do their job because of that damned thing doing it first.)&nbsp; I also dislike running mods in general because on patch days, I just want to log in and go.&nbsp; The fewer mods I have, the less issues I have on patch days and the less annoying patch days are.&nbsp; CTRA was a necessity when I installed it for the raid (that another priest did join later), but if not for that day, I still probably wouldn't have it installed.&nbsp; BTW, I really hope 1.6 comes out soon so I can drop CTRA asap.&nbsp; ;)
[right][snapback]82649[/snapback][/right]

Unfortunately, there is no default functionality in the game that provides some sane way of dealing with debuff effects on a 40-man raid. Some of the DoTs in MC can do thousands of damage per tick, AE curse -75% healing effects, mana drain + damage effects, etc.
There is simply no way with the default UI to handle this adequately for a 40 man raid.
I totally agree with your desire to play the game and enjoy it, unfortunately I don't really think it's enjoyable to do not much besides cast dispel over and over and over in a 10 minute boss fight, and even more unfortunate is the fact that it's how some encounters in this game work.

10-man or even 15-man is not a big deal, I don't think CTRA or really any mods are necessary for making it work well, although it is helpful. And I think the smart-healing mod makes for sloppy, unsavvy players.

I haven't kept entirely up to speed on the 1.6 changes, what new default functionality does it come with that will outdo CTRA?

Blizzard has stated that intelligent spell-casting mods (e.g. Decursive) are not disallowed, but are frowned upon and are very likely to stop working in a future patch. So I expect these mods to go away sometime in the next few patches. I just hope that Blizzard provides a builtin way to handle the difficulty and tedium of mass-dispelling.

To be honest, I will not turn anyone from the raid who isn't running Decursive. Although I will boot people who are not running CTRA. In reality only a few folks need to be running Decursive.

--Stitch
Erikkson,Jul 6 2005, 07:10 PM Wrote:I haven't kept entirely up to speed on the 1.6 changes, what new default functionality does it come with that will outdo CTRA?
[right][snapback]82651[/snapback][/right]
It will show raid member health, mana, buffs and debuffs. Hopefully it will show pets as well since CTRA doesn't, but I don't recall seeing anything said about that. That is all that is needed to replace CTRA.
Intolerant monkey.
Erikkson,Jul 6 2005, 07:10 PM Wrote:Unfortunately, there is no default functionality in the game that provides some sane way of dealing with debuff effects on a 40-man raid. Some of the DoTs in MC can do thousands of damage per tick, AE curse -75% healing effects, mana drain + damage effects, etc.
There is simply no way with the default UI to handle this adequately for a 40 man raid.
[right][snapback]82651[/snapback][/right]

This all just comes down to the players. The UI doesn't have to decurse players, the players have to make quick decisions to prioritize and remove these curses. I have never looked into a mod like decursive because I feel it is no more than a crutch for lazy players; and yes, I have been a healer in a Molten Core run before. I do think that CTRA is virtually required at this point due to the fact that many strategies or makeups of raids involve not having a dispeller and a curse remover in every group (thus making it very difficult for these people to handle removing debuffs on groups without healers) but Bliz seems to be looking to address this in the upcoming changes so that you will not need a mod to have the functionality to see status of all raid members. This and the ability of CTRA to interrupt heals are the only important functionalities IMO and the heal interrupt is far from necessary; it's just very nice to have.

In the end I will never use a mod that I perceive as trying to do my job for me. I want to actually play the game myself and I don't think I need some crutches to do it. As Bliz has been adding some functionality to the default UI I've been able to lessen the number of mods I use and I like that. Hopefully with the newest raid changes I will also be able to permanently ditch CTRA (I currently only use it when I'm healing for raids).

As for this actual MC run; I cannot go as I will be away for that entire weekend. Good luck to you guys.

- mjdoom
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
I've heard the 1.6 changes provide some default raid UI functionality, but they aren't as developed as Raid Assist.

Being able to set target boxes for your tanks and off-tanks, so you can quickly switch to the designated target is also a useful feature.

Chris
Icebird,Jul 7 2005, 03:00 PM Wrote:Being able to set target boxes for your tanks and off-tanks, so you can quickly switch to the designated target is also a useful feature.
[right][snapback]82748[/snapback][/right]

I've always had some issues with clicking on those boxes not always working. I've always found a simple /target <MT's name here> or /assist <MA's name here> macro to be more reliable.

- mjdoom
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
mjdoom,Jul 7 2005, 12:46 PM Wrote:I've always had some issues with clicking on those boxes not always working.&nbsp; I've always found a simple /target <MT's name here> or /assist <MA's name here> macro to be more reliable.

- mjdoom
[right][snapback]82751[/snapback][/right]

I've never had a problem with targeting by clicking a main tank box.

What does decursive do if the target is out of range? We had a real problem with the Baron's mana burn, then the priests stopped decursing and did it manually and everything was cake.

As far as pets go, I can't imagine what the utility of that would be. Is anyone wasting time healing pets? Most of the time pets are put away in the core anyhow.
oldmandennis,Jul 7 2005, 05:16 PM Wrote:As far as pets go, I can't imagine what the utility of that would be.&nbsp; Is anyone wasting time healing pets?&nbsp; Most of the time pets are put away in the core anyhow.
[right][snapback]82761[/snapback][/right]
It's not a waste of time healing the pet when it's all that's between me and mobs that want to eat me because the hard-shellers are busy elsewhere. Besides, I'd rather have the hunters putting out DPS than spending time healing the pet that's on "protect the healer" duty. Also, knowing the pet's health allows me to time my holy novas and prayers of healing better. They will heal up the pet that way as well. Yes, I will let the pet die if players are in more danger, but pets are part of the group as well. It's too much of a habit for me to keep pets alive because my tanks for the first few months of WoW were all pets. You're damned right I pay attention to the pet health even now.
Intolerant monkey.