Female rapist and murderer released from prison
Any1,Jul 7 2005, 11:14 AM Wrote:I live in the San Fran bay area and although gay people refer to themselves as "fag", "queer", and "dyke", it is generally unacceptable from someone whose not part of the community to use these terms.  The same issue with the N-word and the African-American community.[right][snapback]82709[/snapback][/right]

Bingo.

Hypocrisy, double standard, speaking with forked tongue. Rot.

So, how about I flame every sorry sack who uses the term trailer trash or redneck on this forum. Starting now. I will start the word search, and the flames shall commence. Who is with me? :shuriken:

Oh, wait, maybe I am over reacting to free speach? <_< It's free speech until someone starts talking about YOU, is that it folks? :whistling:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jul 7 2005, 05:26 PM Wrote:Bingo.&nbsp;

Hypocrisy, double standard, speaking with forked tongue.&nbsp; Rot.&nbsp;
[right][snapback]82714[/snapback][/right]

It's good rant material. However, my approach to language is simple, if I know people are going to get offended by a certain word, I try and not use it casually. When gay people use these terms, it is usually in friendship and camaraderie. When someone is using these words as a way to insult or intimidate, it's a different story (this definitely was not your intent). Using the terms casually you will run the risk of insulting people. This shouldn't suprise you. The best approach is use a less "provocative" term, especially since it'll get your meaning across just as well.

Occhidiangela,Jul 7 2005, 05:26 PM Wrote:So, how about I flame every sorry sack who uses the term trailer trash or redneck on this forum.&nbsp; Starting now.&nbsp; I will start the word search, and the flames shall commence.&nbsp; Who is with me?&nbsp; :shuriken:&nbsp;
Occhi
[right][snapback]82714[/snapback][/right]

You make a good point. People should be careful how they throw labels around casually. You never know who you might offend.
Signature? What do you mean?
Any1,Jul 7 2005, 12:53 PM Wrote:It's good rant material.&nbsp; However, my approach to language is simple, if I know people are going to get offended by a certain word, I try and not use it casually.&nbsp; When gay people use these terms, it is usually in friendship and camaraderie.&nbsp; When someone is using these words as a way to insult or intimidate, it's a different story (this definitely was not your intent).&nbsp; Using the terms casually you will run the risk of&nbsp; insulting people.&nbsp; This shouldn't suprise you.&nbsp; The best approach is use a less "provocative" term, especially since it'll get your meaning across just as well.
You make a good point.&nbsp; People should be careful how they throw labels around casually.&nbsp; You never know who you might offend.
[right][snapback]82719[/snapback][/right]

Everybody should rush out and get the book "Cracker Culture" by Grady McWhiney. It does a lot of explaining on why white Southerners, AKA, rednecks, can be so damn nasty. It's actually a very good book on Celtic culture and how it effected America. And how the Brits brought their nose in the air attitude and left it embedded in what would become Southern American culture. Also does a lot to explain blood feuds and such.

Sorry, had to make a plug.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jul 7 2005, 12:00 PM Wrote:Everybody should rush out and get the book "Cracker Culture" by Grady McWhiney. It does a lot of explaining on why white Southerners, AKA, rednecks, can be so damn nasty. It's actually a very good book on Celtic culture and how it effected America. And how the Brits brought their nose in the air attitude and left it embedded in what would become Southern American culture. Also does a lot to explain blood feuds and such.

Sorry, had to make a plug.
[right][snapback]82720[/snapback][/right]

Yes indeed, good book. Another is "Born Fighting" by James Webb. See also Special Providence by Meade on how that Scots Irish heritage influenced American politics, and is still doing so today.

Occhi

In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jul 7 2005, 01:34 PM Wrote:Yes indeed, good book.&nbsp; Another is "Born Fighting" by James Webb.&nbsp; See also Special Providence by Meade on how that Scots Irish heritage influenced American politics, and is still doing so today.

Occhi
[right][snapback]82722[/snapback][/right]

Occhi... You have earned my infinite respect. You read Cracker Culture? My my, you are a well read gentleman. Most (white) people are simply insulted by the title and toss it away. At least, in my neck of the woods. The local libraries wont even carry it because of racist overtones in the title. But they will carry books on KKK history and such.

I salute you good sir.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jul 7 2005, 01:19 PM Wrote:Occhi... You have earned my infinite respect. You read Cracker Culture? My my, you are a well read gentleman. Most (white) people are simply insulted by the title and toss it away. At least, in my neck of the woods. The local libraries wont even carry it because of racist overtones in the title. But they will carry books on KKK history and such.

I salute you good sir.
[right][snapback]82734[/snapback][/right]

I read too much for my own good. I should golf more.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Next time you call someone a nigger, I'll take your position seriously. There are some phrases that are unnecessary and rude. That some lesbians choose to refer to themselves as such is not free licence, as I'm quite certain that the majority DO NOT.

You chose a word that you knew can, and often is taken offensively. Ducky took offense. THAT you should take seriously, as she has been here a long time, and deserves the benefit of the doubt.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Jul 7 2005, 01:36 PM Wrote:Next time you call someone a nigger, I'll take your position seriously.&nbsp; There are some phrases that are unnecessary and rude.&nbsp; That some lesbians choose to refer to themselves as such is not free licence, as I'm quite certain that the majority DO NOT.&nbsp;

You chose a word that you knew can, and often is taken offensively.&nbsp; Ducky took offense.&nbsp; THAT you should take seriously, as she has been here a long time, and deserves the benefit of the doubt.
[right][snapback]82741[/snapback][/right]

Thank you for your opinion. I note that Ducky neither anwered me, nor PM'd me, but instead opted for a third person reference. Your standing up for her is both noble, and unnecessary.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jul 7 2005, 11:48 AM Wrote:Thank you for your opinion.&nbsp; I note that Ducky neither anwered me, nor PM'd me, but instead opted for a third person reference.&nbsp; Your standing up for her is both noble, and unnecessary.&nbsp;

Occhi
[right][snapback]82744[/snapback][/right]

Unnecessary? I like to call hypocrisy when I see it.
But whate'er I be,
With being nothing.
Chaerophon,Jul 7 2005, 01:53 PM Wrote:Unnecessary?&nbsp; I like to call hypocrisy when I see it.
[right][snapback]82746[/snapback][/right]

That's rich.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jul 7 2005, 01:49 PM Wrote:That's rich.&nbsp;

Occhi
[right][snapback]82752[/snapback][/right]

Occhi, I'm asking Count Duckula to compromise. It would be helpful if you would seek common ground as well.

Thanks.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Griselda,Jul 7 2005, 03:09 PM Wrote:Occhi, I'm asking Count Duckula to compromise.&nbsp; It would be helpful if you would seek common ground as well.

Thanks.
[right][snapback]82753[/snapback][/right]

No.

Good bye.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Anyways, Dee, as far as Ms. Homolka is concerned... I give her no sympathy, and about six months to live. I could be wrong, but the only Canadians that I can think of that are MORE reviled are Clifford Olsen (sp?), Bernardo himself, and possibly Celine Dion.

As for the movie... in a word? Disgusting. I hope that it ruins Laura Prepon's career.
But whate'er I be,
With being nothing.
Chaerophon,Jul 7 2005, 11:36 AM Wrote:Next time you call someone a nigger, I'll take your position seriously.  There are some phrases that are unnecessary and rude.  That some lesbians choose to refer to themselves as such is not free licence, as I'm quite certain that the majority DO NOT. &nbsp;

You chose a word that you knew can, and often is taken offensively.  Ducky took offense.  THAT you should take seriously, as she has been here a long time, and deserves the benefit of the doubt.
[right][snapback]82741[/snapback][/right]

Please note that not everyone thinks in the same fashion as you. To some people, there is no derision in the word dyke, or even nigger. Quite simply, dyke equals lesbian and nigger equals dark skinned person. Are those people guilty of insulting? No.

Perhaps you should consider that words are words, and becoming angered by words without knowing their true intent not only presents you as judgemental, but somewhat childish as well. No offense intended, simply providing another view.

Until it was explained, I saw nothing here that would cause offense in Occhi's words, and when explained, my first reaction was two words, 'over reactions'.

Regarding the woman released from prison, she earned her release. She made a deal with the authorities. She upheld her end of the bargain, and going by the very laws they are sworn to uphold, they MUST stick to their end. Regardless of her prior actions. Not that she's good people, because she's not. But if you believe in a system, then stand by it's rules.
Quote:Perhaps you should consider that words are words, and becoming angered by words without knowing their true intent not only presents you as judgemental, but somewhat childish as well. No offense intended, simply providing another view.

Sticks and stones and all that? I disagree, it's definitely not as simple as that. Occhi and I have discussed matters elsewhere, and I'd rather let this die. It's a bit sensitive for my liking.

Not intended as a slight to you, of course: just trying to keep the peace. Perhaps I will PM you sometime soon :)
But whate'er I be,
With being nothing.
SetBuilder,Jul 9 2005, 03:35 AM Wrote:Regarding the woman released from prison, she earned her release. She made a deal with the authorities. She upheld her end of the bargain, and going by the very laws they are sworn to uphold, they MUST stick to their end. Regardless of her prior actions. Not that she's good people, because she's not. But if you believe in a system, then stand by it's rules.
[right][snapback]82928[/snapback][/right]

I don't think anyone is saying any different, but you must admit that 12 years for a 3-time murderer and rapist stinks. I don't blame her for making the deal that she did, but I do blame the crown for screwing this up. Someone dropped the ball.

Things like this make the "system" look like a joke.
Shes probably not dangerous.

My reading of the story is that shes a follower and happily followed a guy who was bad.
If she had been executed i wouldnt have a problem with it but I dont really have a problem with her being released either.

I think the only real issue is what kind of an example does this set for future criminals of her ilk.
Some people take offense too easily.
Could we let this die, please?
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Ghostiger,Jul 10 2005, 03:09 AM Wrote:I think the only real issue is what kind of an example does this set for future criminals of her ilk.
[right][snapback]82940[/snapback][/right]
The same as it always has ... "femles aren't capable of being evil, only under the influence of a man" <_<