Ordo Rosae Moriatur and other very old things
(Don't feel left out if this means nothing to you. It's a downright ancient matter, one that dates back as far as the previous millenium. :) )

In a nutshell: ORM was to the roleplaying and storytelling side of Diablo what the DSF, BDSC etc. were to its technical, gameplay-related side. I can't say I've ever been involved with ORM to any significant degree, but nevertheless I've been wondering about their whereabouts. The guild I was a member of way back in the day aside, ORM essentially was the archetypical guild to me: not just a gathering of people playing a game, but rather, living it. Extremely in-depth roleplaying took place, a lot of creativity was exhibited. Sounds cheesy? It might be. It's probably not a very popular concept anymore these days, but I digress.

Anyway, the Order seems defunct now. Their website is long gone - archive.org pulls up some archived versions of the main pages, but much of it (especially the message board with its myriad posts) is lost. Running a Google search does not paint too rosy (pun not intended) a picture either; there are some hits related to more recent MMOs (Guild Wars and Dark Age of Camelot or whatever it's called), but nothing tangible, let alone an actual website.

It seems unlikely that any (former?) ORM members post here, but hey, who knows. If anyone's got any other useful leads, please post.
Alternatively, use this thread to reminiscence about the saintly days of yore. ;)
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
MMAgCh,Jul 3 2005, 09:55 PM Wrote:It seems unlikely that any (former?) ORM members post here, but hey, who knows. If anyone's got any other useful leads, please post.
Alternatively, use this thread to reminiscence about the saintly days of yore. ;)

I was never a member, but I did visit their website once. I have some stories by Wiseman that I saved as textfiles, but I didn't save anyone else's stuff.

-Lemmy
A toast to the Rosae: To those who understand the important, lasting power of the written word (even if websites turn out not to be so lasting). To those who believe that "character development" is about personality and story rather than levels and stats. To those who know their characters and allies in greater detail than the in-game quest logs can provide. To those few who actually understand the meaning of the phrase RolePlaying Game. I don't know what they are up to now, but I bet they are all still having fun.
I recall reading through their site several times when I was just learning about Diablo, so like '98..... No offense or anything, but they scared me. No, really. They seriously scared me..... Hmm, that might have been a bit offensive. Bah, that never stopped me before! It stays.

-A

Ashock,Jul 6 2005, 07:03 AM Wrote:I recall reading through their site several times when I was just learning about Diablo, so like '98..... No offense or anything, but they scared me. No, really. They seriously scared me..... Hmm, that might have been a bit offensive. Bah, that never stopped me before! It stays.
Heh, I see your point. At the end of the day, however, I much prefer their kind of dedication to the game over that of all the kiddies nowadays with their ladder rushin' and borderline-fanatic fixation on itamz and watching numbers rise. It's all so...soulless, if you'll excuse my pathos. ;)
LemmingofGlory,Jul 4 2005, 04:50 AM Wrote:I was never a member, but I did visit their website once. I have some stories by Wiseman that I saved as textfiles, but I didn't save anyone else's stuff.
Were they taken from his journal or the message board? archive.org seems to have archived all but a handful of his journal entries, but the forum is gone for good.

Especially in the latter case, I'd be greatly obliged if you could share them. :) I recall reading the entire site weighed about 100MB, almost solely text at that. :o Every little bit would help.
MMAgCh,Jul 6 2005, 01:39 PM Wrote:Heh, I see your point. At the end of the day, however, I much prefer their kind of dedication to the game over that of all the kiddies nowadays with their ladder rushin' and borderline-fanatic fixation on itamz and watching numbers rise. It's all so...soulless, if you'll excuse my pathos. ;)
[right][snapback]82634[/snapback][/right]

Two words:

Realms Beyond. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
MMAgCh,Jul 6 2005, 12:39 PM Wrote:Heh, I see your point. At the end of the day, however, I much prefer their kind of dedication to the game over that of all the kiddies nowadays with their ladder rushin' and borderline-fanatic fixation on itamz and watching numbers rise. It's all so...soulless, if you'll excuse my pathos. ;)
[right][snapback]82634[/snapback][/right]

Well, I see your point too. So I guess, it's like this.... Those guys scared me, but the kiddies from today disgust me. Not sure which is worse, but I do share at least some of your wistfulness for the "old days"......

-A
Occhidiangela,Jul 6 2005, 04:04 PM Wrote:Realms Beyond.  :D
[right][snapback]82639[/snapback][/right]

Yep, if you're looking for more than the number-crunching of the Lounge provides, this is the place.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Jul 6 2005, 10:44 PM Wrote:Yep, if you're looking for more than the number-crunching of the Lounge provides, this is the place.
Please don't get me wrong; it's the mindless powergaming I have a problem with, so to speak. :) The LL and (y)our brand of number-crunching are perfectly fine of course!
MMAgCh,Jul 3 2005, 08:55 PM Wrote:(Don't feel left out if this means nothing to you. It's a downright ancient matter, one that dates back as far as the previous millenium. :) )[right][snapback]82355[/snapback][/right]

Wow, I feel like a geezer.

I still remember the first time I loaded up ORM's page and saw the image I have ever since somehow associated with Foxglove. The redhead wrapped in a filmy robe holding a pendant in her outstretched arm. I wish I had saved that image, it was gorgeous.

Back when the DSF was in its' prime I never really bothered with anything but playing the game. After the Asylum took off I did end up making some variant characters with some backstories (the high point for me being my Nightshade getting written into Whyte Tiger's Amazon's stories), but I never got around to actually committing anything to paper myself.

I did make it a point to come up with backgrounds for all my City of Heroes characters, because what is a hero without a history? But again, other than some amateur micro-heroes and comic covers and such, I haven't really done anything with them.

I'm such a poseur. :mellow:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
My guess is they are long gone. ORM was in the STORM alliance with Tarot and Snakegod and a quick trip to the SG page shows ORM listed under the links section, but no link. I must still be a member of Snakegod since my password to their private board still works, but I left a long time ago since they went into EverCRACK and I didn't have any interest in a MMORPG.

WarLocke, I know how you feel. Old as hell.

-W
Well... now this takes me back. My main memory of ORM (besides the quite interesting and in-depth story-telling) was their main page had that looping MIDI on it. It was a quality version rather than a Muzak version ;-) No idea what the music was.

Last member I actually knew to get accepted was SweeneyTodd (I believe the name was...) and there was one other person who I actually conversed with somewhat irregularly whose name escapes me now. I don't know if he's still around or not anymore though.

One thing I remember quite well about them was them (along with Snakegod and Tarot) being the targets of Eugene and his cohorts over at Oggies. Part of the reason why the private forums were installed if I recall. Lots of nastiness on the public ones from the aforementioned kids. My memory is a bit too hazy to recall anything else at this moment. It will probably come to me in a dream vivid as the sun in 15-20 years...
Hi,

While the majority of players would hate it, I have long wished for a 'numberless' MMORPG. Of course, numbers would have to be used on the server, but none of that should be visible on the client. Rather than '+2 to speed', a description like 'this sword feels exceptionally well balanced' would be used. It would be up to the game designers to ensure that there are enough attributes and different ways of expressing them that we 'number crunchers' could not do more than generalize. For instance, 'a fine sword' from a vendor in a newbie area might rate no more than 'piece of junk' in a more advanced area.

Similar things for all gear attributes.

For stats, etc., a player would not be told that he has gotten stronger, faster, better with a bow, etc. He would know that he could now wear mail because putting it on didn't make him fall to the ground. That his archery was improving because occasionally he would actually hit what he was aiming for. And so on. With magic, the ability to learn spells and cast them and how many he could cast would follow a similar pattern.

But, of course, such a game would only appeal to romantic freaks like me. Too much like RL (or real RP) for the bulk of the gamers.

I can still dream, though.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Aug 11 2005, 08:22 PM Wrote:While the majority of players would hate it, I have long wished for a 'numberless' MMORPG.  Of course, numbers would have to be used on the server, but none of that should be visible on the client.
Unfortunately Pete, no matter what the designers do, someone will figure out the way to be "the best" and everyone who is lazy or wants to compete on their level will copy that combination of moves. Numbers are just a symptom of the bigger problem, that the achievers will figure out how to reach milestones quicker and quicker and any killer or explorer will usually pick up on those trends to reach the milestones quickly and burn through the content of the game.

We can all dream, right? ;-)
Pete,Aug 11 2005, 07:22 PM Wrote:For stats, etc., a player would not be told that he has gotten stronger, faster, better with a bow, etc.  He would know that he could now wear mail because putting it on didn't make him fall to the ground.  That his archery was improving because occasionally he would actually hit what he was aiming for.  And so on.  With magic, the ability to learn spells and cast them and how many he could cast would follow a similar pattern.

--Pete
[right][snapback]85802[/snapback][/right]

Yeh, that game is called Dungeon Siege. Was fun for a couple of weeks, but then suddenly I realized that my already tiny brain was getting fried and ran away from that game screaming. Thecla I believe had a similar experience (hey Claw!)

-A

ps. Dungeon Siege 2 is coming out in a couple of days, heh.
Quote:But, of course, such a game would only appeal to romantic freaks like me.  Too much like RL (or real RP) for the bulk of the gamers.

I would play that game :)

I love it when we find artifacts in my GURPS fantasy roleplaying game. We usually can't identify their magical properties completely, and have to try to figure them out on the fly.

The best is when we find something that is truly powerful: none of us want to use it because we assume that it must have some absolutely horrible downside.

Our GM is known for his horrible side effects.

EDIT: pytso
SweeneyTodd was accepted indeed. He still is around, too, although very busy with school. We exchange emails at reasonably regular intervals.
The other fellow might be Rakhir, who was active in the Diablo scene as well, although at that point there were a number of petitioners. I've no idea what happened to them. It's rather difficult to find things out about the entire affair some four years after the Order's demise, which is why I posted here.

The INFERNO folks were being themselves and brought trouble with them. I think I started reading their board only after the private forum was installed, but even so there was enough proof of their...peculiar kind of wit to be seen, nevermind all the posts that were deleted. And, after all, I think we've had our share of some Infernal folks here at the Lounge, too. ;)
Still, at least they had a concept and stuck to it.

As for the music, most of the pieces were MIDI versions of Enya songs. :)
MMAgCh,Aug 12 2005, 08:42 PM Wrote:Stuff
[right][snapback]85882[/snapback][/right]

Wow, another blast from the past! Wassup, goon? :ph34r:

Man, I'm starting to miss AA and Boots and BallBasher and all the other Angels... Damnit people, why must you make a grown man cry? :(
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Ashock,Jul 6 2005, 06:03 AM Wrote:No offense or anything, but they scared me.
[right][snapback]82566[/snapback][/right]

You too? I thought it was just me. ;)

~ Tireon
Rosae 1997-2002