Walter Cronkinte dead
If you are under 40, this probably doesn't touch you as much as it does a few of us old geezers.

Back when there were a few channels and news only a few times per day, his was the most common version of the TV news we got, for better or worse. In the 60's I tended to watch the Huntley Brinkly show, due to my dad's taste in networks, but I was very familiar with Cronkite's news delivery and method.

Now the news will cover the Death of a Newsman. They'll beat it to death.

Joy.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Quote:Now the news will cover the Death of a Newsman.
One of the last.

Perhaps not suitable for so solemn a thread, but I was reminded of this.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Long before my time. But Walter Cronkite was a legend, and if the news really ever was better, he's sorely missed.

-Jester
Quote:If you are under 40, this probably doesn't touch you as much as it does a few of us old geezers.

Back when there were a few channels and news only a few times per day, his was the most common version of the TV news we got, for better or worse. In the 60's I tended to watch the Huntley Brinkly show, due to my dad's taste in networks, but I was very familiar with Cronkite's news delivery and method.

Now the news will cover the Death of a Newsman. They'll beat it to death.

Joy.

Occhi

Oh, not to worry. I'm sure right now he is having a meaningful conversation with Marx and Lenin. Right afterwards, the latter two will be chuckling and muttering something about gullible Americans.

Good voice, empty head. Meh.
Quote:Oh, not to worry. I'm sure right now he is having a meaningful conversation with Marx and Lenin. Right afterwards, the latter two will be chuckling and muttering something about gullible Americans.

Good voice, empty head. Meh.
Oh, I don't think he went to hell. :lol:
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Way before my time as well, but I'm not unfamiliar with the man and his work.

R.I.P. Cronkite.

I dunno -- but i was hoping for 93 at least...

Quote:Now the news will cover the Death of a Newsman. They'll beat it to death.

Joy.

Occhi

Yah, what a pain in the neck. It's really taken away from the Jon & Kate Plus 8 coverage.
Quote:It's really taken away from the Jon & Kate Plus 8 coverage.
Or, MJ's family arguing over who owns the bones.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Or, MJ's family arguing over who owns the bones.

Not to mention Al Sharpton.
Quote:Hi,
One of the last.

--Pete

Temporary off topic!

If I had a button I could press that would cause everyone responsible for these Jib Jab animations and everyone who enjoys them to explode violently, showering blood and guts all over their confused, terrified loved ones, I would hit it so hard that I would likely, through sheer rage and annoyance, momentarily surpass human capabilities to a degree that the earth itself would split under my blow, dooming Missouri, Iowa and Arkansas to tumble into the inky blackness beneath the earth's crust.

Also. Uh. Very terrible Walter Cronkite kicking the bucket and all. Totally sincere about that. I guess the sentiments are sorta hollow after that last paragraph, though.
Quote:If I had a button I could press that would cause everyone responsible for these Jib Jab animations and everyone who enjoys them to explode violently, showering blood and guts all over their confused, terrified loved ones, I would hit it so hard that I would likely, through sheer rage and annoyance, momentarily surpass human capabilities to a degree that the earth itself would split under my blow, dooming Missouri, Iowa and Arkansas to tumble into the inky blackness beneath the earth's crust.
Don't hold back. How do you really feel about JibJab?;)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Hi,

Quote: . . . rant . . .
So, is it the humor or the truth that sets you off? :P

--Pete

Quote:If I had a button etc.

Thanks, I now have to live in fear of being blown up:(
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
So, is it the humor or the truth that sets you off? :P

--Pete

The humor and the animation. Nothing wrong with humor and animation. But it's basically as if this particular humor and animation were specifically created to be the exact opposite of anything I could ever possibly enjoy. And people never stop emailing it to me.
Quote:And people never stop emailing it to me.
I have friends and relatives that email me all the bad jokes the net has to offer, not crude, but often rude, racist, and politically biased crap. If I see a large attachment from some people, and depending on the subject, I just immediately move it to the memory hole without opening. No need for anger, just a little annoyed at the waste of bandwidth. When it is the "alert" types urban legend, I usually email back the relevant Snopes link debunking the silly crap. Politically, my family and friends range from extreme progressive to libertarian, to ultra conservative and most of them are not open to actually discussing alternative views. Sometimes, when they ask me, "Did you see that funny Bin Laden joke?" I can reply, "Sorry, I don't look at any of that stuff, I just delete it." They usually get the hint and take me off their spam list.

When I was younger I occasionally used to snap back at them, but now I just acknowledge that they still want to communicate with me, even if its just their "spam useless crap" group. I try to respond with a thoughtful, and serious "Hi, how's it going, I'm fine..." type letter and attach some current photo's of recent events at my house. I wish people would understand the netiquette of asking, "Do you want to be included in my spam?" before they assume you will laugh at all the jokes they pass your way. I mean, back when mail was the means of communicating, people did not go out and xerox a joke or comic to mail to their "spam" group. Or, maybe they did.

Quote: When it is the "alert" types urban legend, I usually email back the relevant Snopes link debunking the silly crap.

hahaha.

My aunt apparently would mail every one of these things to her kids (she's in her 60s and her kids are in their 40s). After my grandmother died and we had all gotten together, I was added to the distribution. I emailed back a snopes link debunking and my cousins both emailed me to thank me, because they knew it was hoax junk, they just didn't know about snopes.

I don't get much email from my aunt anymore =P.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Hi,

Quote:I try to respond with a thoughtful, and serious . . .
While I just handle it in my own gentle way. I get very little spam of this type, BTW.:)

--Pete

One of the last.

--Pete
Thanks for the laugh, I had forgotten that Ms Spears' kitten was not gold plated. Apparently, her ex found this out only after they'd had two kids.

Not a quick study, that one. Kfed, thanks to the n"ews" I know that word.

Now I understand why Oedipus put his own eyes out. Some things drive you to it.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete