I Did It.
Ashock,Jul 5 2005, 03:49 PM Wrote:Some famous achievements:

...Einstein - Theory of Relativity

Beethoven - 5th

Doc - Salsa
Already, 10 posts on that and none about the others.....
Conclusion - no wonder Americans are so ignorant and fat!
-A
[right][snapback]82535[/snapback][/right]
I count One, Two, Three, Four threads here touching relativity.

And Beethoven sucks. I cannot frickin' stand symphonies whatsoever— they are an absolute waste of wind and horsehair with no redeeming quality.

Concertos, on the other hand, rock. More elaborate than a quartet, more intimate than a symphony.

Your money should have been on Vivaldi or Bach.

Disco is dead! Baroque forever, baby!
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Ninjadruid,Jul 5 2005, 10:32 PM Wrote:My favourtie salsa isn't nearly the same as Doc's as its a lot more Indian than Mexcian.  Also, I am not a fan of the 'burning' (my drainpipes aren't consrtucted out of steel).

My Grandma makes this stuff she calls chili sauce, which is like sweet sweet salsa, with no spice.  Its got more ingredients than it in antipasto, so I won't get into that, but my point is, you don't can fruit in metal.  Alteast not if you're my Grandma.  Antipasto, salsa, peaches, raspberries, pie filling, it all gets canned in glass pressure sealed jars.  Ala this. 

Anyway, here are some easy easy salsas

For Chicken
pineapple
minced red bell pepper
fresh cilantro
red wine vinegar

Sear, crush then add cilantro, and vinegar

For Fish
Mango
Papya
Red Onion
Fresh Cilantro
Gooseberries

No cooking - let it set on the counter for a couple hours before serving

For Rice (this one is a bit harder)
finely diced onion
a clove or two crushed garlic
curry powder (green)

Fry these things up in nut oil, I like almond, cause its sweet, but peanut is cheap and will do the trick.

After it is done cooking, add in the below things

pineapple - puréed (about ¾ cup)
tomatoes
bananas

If your pinapple isn't juicy, add some pineapple juice.
Finally, mix in  a tablespoon of brown sugar, just enough to make the curry get to the back of your mouth before you can taste anything but sweet.

For Beef
Nectarines
Lemon
Cumin
Tumeric
Poppyseeds
Cloves
Garlic
Red Onion

You must soak your poppyseeds overnight, in water, before making them into anything, or they are crunchy nuggets of hardness.

Get your hands on the lightest oil you can find for this, one.  Canola oil is great, then sear and cook to soft.  If you have a dutch oven, you can also just throw this in the oven, which gives it more poppyseed flavor.

My favorite salsa ever was this cream, coconut, mango, curry concoction; it came mixed with tandoori chicken and I haven't tried to recreate it, to make it special whenever I go out and have it.
[right][snapback]82553[/snapback][/right]

Most of those sound absolutely delicious.

Canning in all glass jars is ok for some things. Your Grandma is a smart woman.

Just a guess, but I bet a nice piece of tempeh would be delicious when dipped into some of those. Or at least in theme.

I too, have experimented with bananas in salsa. And people called me crazy for doing so. It is nice to see somebody else dabbling with bananas in a salsa like substance. I also have dabbled in pomegranats as a salsa substance which really gave it a lovely Asian flavour.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Ninjadruid,Jul 5 2005, 09:32 PM Wrote:My favourtie salsa isn't nearly the same as Doc's as its a lot more Indian than Mexcian.

Once you have gone Indian, you can't go back to Mexican.

Quote:My Grandma makes this stuff she calls chili sauce, which is like sweet sweet salsa, with no spice. this. 

Anyway, here are some easy easy salsas

For Chicken
pineapple
minced red bell pepper
fresh cilantro
red wine vinegar

Sear, crush then add cilantro, and vinegar

For Fish
Mango
Papya
Red Onion
Fresh Cilantro
Gooseberries

No cooking - let it set on the counter for a couple hours before serving

For Rice (this one is a bit harder)
finely diced onion
a clove or two crushed garlic
curry powder (green)

Fry these things up in nut oil, I like almond, cause its sweet, but peanut is cheap and will do the trick.

After it is done cooking, add in the below things

pineapple - puréed (about ¾ cup)
tomatoes
bananas

If your pinapple isn't juicy, add some pineapple juice.  Finally, mix in  a tablespoon of brown sugar, just enough to make the curry get to the back of your mouth before you can taste anything but sweet.

For Beef
Nectarines
Lemon
Cumin
Tumeric
Poppyseeds
Cloves
Garlic
Red Onion

You must soak your poppyseeds overnight, in water, before making them into anything, or they are crunchy nuggets of hardness.

Get your hands on the lightest oil you can find for this, one.  Canola oil is great, then sear and cook to soft.  If you have a dutch oven, you can also just throw this in the oven, which gives it more poppyseed flavor.

My favorite salsa ever was this cream, coconut, mango, curry concoction; it came mixed with tandoori chicken and I haven't tried to recreate it, to make it special whenever I go out and have it.
[right][snapback]82553[/snapback][/right]

Look tasty. Will give one of them a try next time we do Tandoori. Tend to do pork or chicken. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Rhydderch Hael,Jul 5 2005, 09:39 PM Wrote:I count One, Two, Three, Four threads here touching relativity.

And Beethoven sucks. I cannot frickin' stand symphonies whatsoever— they are an absolute waste of wind and horsehair with no redeeming quality.

Concertos, on the other hand, rock. More elaborate than a quartet, more intimate than a symphony.

Your money should have been on Vivaldi or Bach.

Disco is dead! Baroque forever, baby!
[right][snapback]82555[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, Eroica sings to me.

I prefer, in symphony, Tchaikovsky and Mozart . . . however . . . there are days when a little Ludwig Van is just the thing.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Well, since this is the Lounge, it's about time that somebody posted about grammar. No offense is meant, though.

You will probably have better results with masa (corn flour) than you would with mesa (table), unless you like *a lot* of extra fiber in those tortillas. :P
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Hmm let's see.....

What, about 2 posts related to non-food issues and around 10+ more posts related to food. My theory which started out as a way to amuse myself on a slow work day, is actually beginning to acquire some merit. Keep it up, you American capitalist pigs, keep it up.

-A

I had a strange initiation into classical music.

Back in high school, I was haunted by this piece that I knew well enough of, yet had no idea who composed it nor what it was called. It was one of those compositions you'd find often enough in a stereotypical movie scene of a luxurious party as intro and background music. Just didn't know how to identify it.

So I figured that I would have to immerse myself in enough random pieces and composers to get some faint idea of what it was and where I could find it. But starting up the habit of listening to classical music CDs was daunting enough— not knowing how or with whom to start made it all the more difficult.

So there I was, in the Sam Goody at the mall, looking at the short aisle containing the classical stuff. Browsing, pondering, trying to figure out what album in what alien title I should pick out as my first CD. I loathed to waste money on a large bunch of CDs athat i might never listen to again, so I had decided to start small: just one CD for now.

Hanging around at the end of the aisle, one title catches my eye (namely because it was, well, a name and not a number or foreign word). The Four Seasons. I chose that one.

Incidentally, the piece that was haunting me? I know it's name now. Antonio Vivaldi's eighth opus, Violin Concerto Number One, first movement...

...otherwise known as "Spring". Of The Four Seasons.

The very first track of the very first classical music CD I bought in my crash-course education, and it's the one I've been looking for.

Funny thing is, I like "Winter" the best. The first movement captures the subliminal essence of snowfall remarkably, but the solo of the second movement is my fave.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Griselda,Jul 5 2005, 11:35 PM Wrote:Well, since this is the Lounge, it's about time that somebody posted about grammar.  No offense is meant, though.

You will probably have better results with masa (corn flour) than you would with mesa (table), unless you like *a lot* of extra fiber in those tortillas.  :P
[right][snapback]82561[/snapback][/right]

I no speak de lingo so well... I just eat he food! :P
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jul 6 2005, 03:55 AM Wrote:I refuse to pay for a bag of corn tortilla chips for a couple of bucks when I can make the same thing, only better, and healthier, for PENNIES. A couple of pennies worth of mesa, salt, and lime makes a big heap of hot fresh corn tortilla chips. It's maybe an hour worth of work.
[right][snapback]82549[/snapback][/right]
Not that I don't agree on this, that doing it yourself is way better than buying it from the local grocery store. However, an hour of working at any regular day-job would probably pay for those tortilla chips and even a cheap salsa to go with it :)

(It's probably better your way though (especially if you enjoy the cooking part), I just found it amusing that you were talking about money, and then work... :))
Grul,Jul 6 2005, 09:08 AM Wrote:Not that I don't agree on this, that doing it yourself is way better than buying it from the local grocery store. However, an hour of working at any regular day-job would probably pay for those tortilla chips and even a cheap salsa to go with it :)

(It's probably better your way though (especially if you enjoy the cooking part), I just found it amusing that you were talking about money, and then work... :))
[right][snapback]82603[/snapback][/right]

But with the work goes a lot of love. And things that can not be measured with money. It adds meaning and purpose to life. In that hour of work comes tangible results that show you did something meaningful for that hour. The same can not be said for an hour in your "day job."

There is immense satisfaction in making something, anything, meaningful with your own two hands.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jul 6 2005, 03:19 PM Wrote:But with the work goes a lot of love. And things that can not be measured with money. It adds meaning and purpose to life. In that hour of work comes tangible results that show you did something meaningful for that hour. The same can not be said for an hour in your "day job."

There is immense satisfaction in making something, anything, meaningful with your own two hands.
[right][snapback]82606[/snapback][/right]
I get your point, although it seems a little bit exaggerated :P "Meaning and purpose to life" :)

I'm currently learning some music programs and I've been playing guitar for the past 8 years and I can tell you it's probably the same feeling when you compose something out of this world. Even though it may just be a short riff, you still feel the immense satisfaction of doing something really great :)
Doc,Jul 7 2005, 03:19 AM Wrote:In that hour of work comes tangible results that show you did something meaningful for that hour. The same can not be said for an hour in your "day job."
[right][snapback]82606[/snapback][/right]

Well, I must be lucky with the job I have then :)
After some talk in this very thread, I have been experimenting with Salsa done with East Indian/Asian infusions.

First real tangible and edible results... Salsa using candied gingerroot. It does have an Asian influence, and it is all fruit based. No onions even or garlic. Just all fruit. And some cilantro of course.

It's delicious!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
I still prefer my butterscotch brownies, and I bet the rest of you would too...

Doc, when you gave us the recipe, you said that a wood-burning stove would give a nice flavor to the fire-roasted veggies. Any particular kind of wood? Apple, pine, mesquite?

And a hint to the clueless who might want to try this - NEVER burn treated wood, especially if you're going to cook over it. It's as much as your life is worth. To many of us, this is probably like saying "Warning: Coffee is hot!", but the label would never have become so popular if nobody needed warning.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Jul 20 2005, 04:17 PM Wrote:I still prefer my butterscotch brownies, and I bet the rest of you would too...

Doc, when you gave us the recipe, you said that a wood-burning stove would give a nice flavor to the fire-roasted veggies.  Any particular kind of wood?  Apple, pine, mesquite?

And a hint to the clueless who might want to try this - NEVER burn treated wood, especially if you're going to cook over it.  It's as much as your life is worth.  To many of us, this is probably like saying "Warning: Coffee is hot!", but the label would never have become so popular if nobody needed warning.
[right][snapback]83954[/snapback][/right]

Lately, I have been burning a lot of orchard wood. It was cheap. Apple and peach tree wood. I also use hickory, pine, and pretty much whatever is available. Even pecan wood on occasion.

I have an electric stove... But I don't like it. It doesn't heat right. Doesn't cook bread right. I am thinking of throwing it out to make room for something else.

Now, for those who do not have a wood burning stove, you can get a cast iron dutch oven and stick it in your electric oven with the lid on. I'll do a half assed job, but it will work. I highly recommend Lodge Logic cast iron... But that's just me. I don't use aluminium or teflon or anything like that... But I do have a couple of copper bottomed stainless steel pans that I some times find some use for. What can I say, cast iron is best.

If you have a dutch oven and a BBQ pit... That's even better. Stick the dutch oven in a bed of coals and drop some coals on the lid. In a short while, fire roasted veggies. Yum.

Edit.

Do your brownies have real butter and real Scotch? Hopefully a nice single malt, aged, for flavour?
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Real butter, yes. But not real Scotch. Sorry.

I'm thinking of another practical use for your Dead Salsa (which is the actual translation, maybe you want to work on that). See, I get these terrible sinus headaches, and I'm allergic to Sudafed...
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
Lady Vashj,Jul 22 2005, 07:02 AM Wrote:Real butter, yes.  But not real Scotch.  Sorry.

I'm thinking of another practical use for your Dead Salsa (which is the actual translation, maybe you want to work on that).  See, I get these terrible sinus headaches, and I'm allergic to Sudafed...
[right][snapback]84050[/snapback][/right]

For your sinuses, eat a lot of garlic, ginger, and chili peppers. FRESH all of them.

You will no longer have sinus trouble. Open you right up. Don't need to stinking pills that do God knows what to your body.

Go out to an ethnic foods market and find Jamaican Ginger Beer. Not ginger ale... Ginger BEER. It should be pleasantly warm going down. I think so. Other people tell me it's blisteringly hot, but I disagree. It will burn away every last bit of mucus in your throat, nose, and sinuses. And don't get it in an alumninium can. Glass bottle. Better taste. Make sure it has the real stuff in there with no artificial flavours. Goya works well enough in a pinch, but, Blenheim's HOT HOT Ginger Ale is even better.

As an extra added bonus, the ginger will help rid your blood of impurities and clean out our urinary tract as well. It does wonders for helping to clean up urinary tract infections. It also causes you to break out in a slight fever, which is a good thing. Body cleans it's self out during a fever.

And in general, most Ginger beer is non alcoholic. So no worries.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
I prefer jerk shrimp in steaming hot ramen noodle broth. What the spice don't get, the heat does.
Interestingly enough, I have always found kimchi to be a perfect replacement for salsa when combined with chips but with far more potential for other uses. Not only can you make it extremely hot as you have done, but you can vary fermentation times to get the fermentation byproducts to enhance the hotness. In addition, it titilates my tastebuds with more flavor than any salsa I have made or tasted, and best of all I can use kimchi as a base for soups, stir fry and toppings for grilled brats or smoked home made sausage.

If you are a fan of hot salsa, kimchi is something I'd highly recommend so you may diversify your tastes and horizons.

t0a5t,Aug 2 2005, 12:39 PM Wrote:Interestingly enough, I have always found kimchi to be a perfect replacement for salsa when combined with chips but with far more potential for other uses. Not only can you make it extremely hot as you have done, but you can vary fermentation times to get the fermentation byproducts to enhance the hotness. In addition, it titilates my tastebuds with more flavor than any salsa I have made or tasted, and best of all I can use kimchi as a base for soups, stir fry and toppings for grilled brats or smoked home made sausage.

If you are a fan of hot salsa, kimchi is something I'd highly recommend so you may diversify your tastes and horizons.
[right][snapback]84908[/snapback][/right]

I like kimchi. I've had it made from all kinds of veggies. Radish, cabbage, mustard greens, etc. Good stuff, but not really all that hot. Salty pickle flavour. Kinda rotten smelling. And occasionally fishy. I like this one dish I had a long time ago, it was kimchi with cabbage and something else, along with pickled black beans made into a rotten smelling soup. As bad as it smelled, like an open septic tank in the hot Southern sun, it was delicious. Had crunchy pieces of tempeh floating in it. According to everybody else that had it, it was hot as hellfire. I thought it was pleasant, with a medium heat, a light sour flavour, with a slightly sweet after taste that made the back of my throat and nose tickle a bit. It had a smokey flavour that clung to your tongue for a while after you ate it.

Now, Cajun Kimchi, that's pretty good stuff. They use a different seasoning. They also use pickled shrimp paste and or pickled snake. And then they kick it up a notch. And they don't call it kimchi, but it's the same stuff. I can't think of the actual name right now off the top of my head. It's often served with boudin blanc, which is the Cajun version if haggis. Has rice instead of oats, all rolled into a stomach of some critter along with some of the organs.

Damn, now I am all hungry.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."