Frostsabers, Furbies, Faction, and You...
...As several people know, I have embarked on the "quest of quests". After some long thought about it, the only epic level mount that I would enjoy riding and can ride (I do like the epic Rams, but can't ride them...) would be the Winterspring Frostsaber. When Blizzard redid the epics and added that awful armor to them, I was quite disappointed. But I have heard that the Winterspring doesn't have any armor, he's just his normal looking self, and not a battlecat wannabe.

So I'm up in Winterspring a lot, grinding faction (I'm up to Friendly now). I mention this because several folk are often grinding Timbermaw faction, which requires killing Deadwood or Winterfell Furbolg.

The best quest I get for faction with the Winterspring Trainer requires me to kill Winterfell furbolgs. I have to kill 5 shaman, and 5 ursa, return to him, rinse and repeat. So I go to Winterfall Village and tear through it.

Now, there is no Timbermaw given qeust that I know of given to kill those Furbolg that I know of. However, you don't have to have a quest to kill the furbies and make the Timbermaw happy with it. You just have to kill them. You get "slight increases" with each furbolg kill.

So here's where we can help each other. I can grind furbies very fast, with little downtime. However, it goes even faster with a friend. ;) Since the quest I have is a "kill x of y" type, and you'd be getting faction for every kill, it works very well for both of us. If I'm around in Winterspring, chances are that's what I'm doing, and never turn down company. =) You just have to put up with me running back to the Winterspring Trainer every 10 minutes.

Now, I've also had some people interested in Winterspring Faction. To get the "Winterfall Intrusion" quest, which is the "slaughter furby" quest, you have to do a different one of his 30 times, before he offers "Winterfall Intrusion".

The first quest is a real PITA for several reasons, the foremost of which being that it relies on droprates, which can be quite capricious. You have to collect 5 bear meat and 5 chimera meat, then take it back to the Trainer. The meat doesn't stack, and you can't have people not on the quest, or even those on the quest, collect it and hold it for you. You have to do loot it yourself. The fastest I could ever do this quest was 25 minutes, as droprates can be just that cruddy. The chimera, while seeming the most plentiful around the area, are very stingy with their meat.

That's pretty much it . I'll be up there, and I'll be happy to help grind faction with you if you like. I have taken my own faction with them up a couple thousand into unfriendly into 500 or so neutral with them. I have the rep mod which turns the bars into numbers, and gives numbers to what the "slight increase" etc actually is. You get faction for a lot of things I didn't know.

For instance...Did you know that for every Baron kill you do (while wearing your AD commision, I'd assume) you get +50 rep with Argent Dawn? Quest free? ;)

Anyhow, feel free to look me up in Winterspring, and beat on some furbies with me. There is plenty of other treasure/goodies up there to lure some folk along, and I'll point them out to the folk who do show up. ;)
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Jun 30 2005, 10:25 AM Wrote:(I do like the epic Rams, but can't ride them...)
[right][snapback]82066[/snapback][/right]
Couldn't you get faction to ride a ram with the new cloth turnin quests? Thanks to someone *cough* in guild chat, I have it in my mind again to put my little squishy butt on the back of a NE kitty. Apparently, Psybie has done it so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to. I spent the first half of last night grinding ogres in Burning Steppes for runecloth for turnin. The second half, I went to the northern furbies in Felwood, surprised that I was never sharing the area with more than one other player. This was getting me rune (and vendor goods) as well as Timbermaw faction. Lochnar already got to friendly with them to get his transmute recipe. If he gets to honored, I'm hoping that Gorn One-eye will then talk to him and sell something special. (If you already know that he doesn't sell anything special, please don't spoil it for me. ;) ) I managed to turn in 12 stacks last night so I only have to turn in another 120 or so stacks to get to revered and then however many more for exalted. I figure that a big kitty will make a nice Christmas present for Lochnar. :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Jun 30 2005, 05:16 PM Wrote:Couldn't you get faction to ride a ram with the new cloth turnin quests?  Thanks to someone *cough* in guild chat, I have it in my mind again to put my little squishy butt on the back of a NE kitty.  Apparently, Psybie has done it so there is no reason I shouldn't be able to. 
[right][snapback]82110[/snapback][/right]

To the best of my knowledge, I can't ride a ram, regardless of my status with Ironforge. It was something I'd considered first, before the WS Frostsaber, actually, but the Gnome/Dwarf mounts are size restricted to Gnomes and Dwarves only. The only other class mount I could ride would be a horse. Which honestly, miffs me a bit, while making sense in the overall context. Gnomes/Dwarves can ride any mount they want, with the work required for it. But the two larger classes can't ride Gnome/Dwarf mounts, no matter what.

This is why I have a feeling that you see many NE's on their epic mounts, but not many of the other epic class mounts around (aside from the warlock/pally ones)...people are working up to an epic cross class mount, which is much, much easier now with the cloth faction turnin.
Mirajj,Jun 30 2005, 06:52 PM Wrote:To the best of my knowledge, I can't ride a ram, regardless of my status with Ironforge.
[right][snapback]82116[/snapback][/right]

That should not be true.
http://www.thottbot.com/wow/?s=ram

If you check the riding rams that are listed there, you will see that "Races: Human, Dwarf, Night Elf, Gnome" which is the same as it was in beta. Although I do not ever recall seeing a night elf on one, I know that there were some humans that used rams as mounts in the beta. It should not be too different for an elf to be on one if you get the faction to do it.

The only alliance restriction like you are referring to that I am aware of is on the gnomes Mecha-Turkey mounts that are restricted to gnomes and dwarves.
Ruvanal Wrote:That should not be true.
http://www.thottbot.com/wow/?s=ram

Seems that I was misinformed, as after a visit with the trainer, he says that he'll not sell to someone who's not exalted. So it looks like I could get a ram if I wanted. *Ponders* I do still want a WS Frostsaber now, too. =/ Maybe both! *L* We'll have to see. Maybe I'll go exalted with everyone and see about collecting epic mounts.