Help with turning spells into self spells
I play both a Druid and a Priest, and both of them suffer in part from the same problem, that is, some of their healing spells (most) and even some odd other spells, requires you to first hit the spell, and then the target of the spell.

Now, for group play, I tend to use a mod that places icons besides each party members icon and I just press it and it cast the spell on that player without disturbing my target and supposedly also pick correct rank. Just one click.

However, for myself, there is no such option. This is really only noticable in solo play (and some odd group when I need healing myself). I frequently end up missing my character on screen, losing the spell, not getting it off when I thought I did and so on. Sometimes (usually after a failure or two), I try pressing the F1 to pick me as target, however, I don't like that option either. My question is thus now, is there some easy way to turn my spell icons so that when I press them, they automaitcally cast on myself?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Jun 28 2005, 09:09 AM Wrote:I play both a Druid and a Priest, and both of them suffer in part from the same problem, that is, some of their healing spells (most) and even some odd other spells, requires you to first hit the spell, and then the target of the spell.

Now, for group play, I tend to use a mod that places icons besides each party members icon and I just press it and it cast the spell on that player without disturbing my target and supposedly also pick correct rank. Just one click.

However, for myself, there is no such option. This is really only noticable in solo play (and some odd group when I need healing myself). I frequently end up missing my character on screen, losing the spell, not getting it off when I thought I did and so on. Sometimes (usually after a failure or two), I try pressing the F1 to pick me as target, however, I don't like that option either. My question is thus now, is there some easy way to turn my spell icons so that when I press them, they automaitcally cast on myself?
[right][snapback]81849[/snapback][/right]

I use Telo's Alt Self Cast mod available here: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...ion&T=93362&P=1
That way I can alt click or alt # the spell I want to cast on myself and be done with it.

CTMod has the same functionality if you use their bar mod, which I don't. I'm actually using as little UI mods as I can so that if one of them breaks horribly in a patch I'm not as crippled. :)

Out of curiosity what mod are you using?
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Jarulf,Jun 28 2005, 07:09 AM Wrote:I play both a Druid and a Priest, and both of them suffer in part from the same problem, that is, some of their healing spells (most) and even some odd other spells, requires you to first hit the spell, and then the target of the spell.

[right][snapback]81849[/snapback][/right]

I believe there is an interface option you can check to set it so that Alt+the spell will self-cast.

If you don't like that, you can use one of the many self-cast mods available (like this one here):

Telo's Self Cast

Be warned that once you start using it you'll start assuming things are always like that and you'll never be able to go back. There are advantages to the key-or-click-then-select-target method.

For party healing, I use GroupButtons which also give you icons for yourself if you like to click buttons next to your frame. I'm sure it is quite similar to what you are using otherwise (the buttons are very configurable, you don't have to have them over the frame like mine):
[Image: DUF_and_GB.jpg]
I use Telo's SelfCast. It's a mod that, when you hold down the alt key in combination with clicking a spell, casts that spell on yourself if applicable.

I don't have a link handy, sorry :(

There are other mods that do similar things- I know CTMod has an ability to do it but I couldn't get it to work on certain spells so I switched back to Telo's SelfCast. CTMod may work now; I tried on an older version.

EDIT: dang you fast typers!~
I hit F-1 and then click on the spell I want to cast. :blush:

Does anyone know how to create a macro that allows me to target someone out of my group for spell casting? IE if I wanted to cast Divine Intervention on Flyndar but he is out of my group I have to sort him out of the crush of bodies for targeting. It would be much easier for me to hit a macro that brings up his portrait for ease of DI'ing on him. (Pun intended) :)

What would be even better would be a macro that not only lets me cast DI on him when I click on it. :D
Tal,Jun 28 2005, 09:23 AM Wrote:I hit F-1 and then click on the spell I want to cast.  :blush:

Does anyone know how to create a macro that allows me to target someone out of my group for spell casting? IE if I wanted to cast Divine Intervention on Flyndar but he is out of my group I have to sort him out of the crush of bodies for targeting. It would be much easier for me to hit a macro that brings up his portrait for ease of DI'ing on him. (Pun intended) :)

What would be even better would be a macro that not only lets me cast DI on him when I click on it. :D
[right][snapback]81856[/snapback][/right]

Just make a macro similar to an assist macro or a MT macro; one line:

/target Flyndar

If you want the spell cast after it I think the command is something like SpellCastByName("Divine Intervention: Rank x"). Someone more familiar with macros can correct me here or I can check the macros that I have that cast spells when I log on later.

That's it; should work like a charm. Note that target will actually pick the character in range of you with a name most similar to what you have typed. Which means that in the heat of the battle typing /target Flyn into your chat box would probably work, and if Flyndar was out of range it would pick the person in range with a name closest to Flyndar (it can be interesting what it picks some times). I occasionally use the target feature in PvE when I am in big raids and PvP when there is a specific target that I want to keep tabs on (enemy priest for example.)
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
Quote:What would be even better would be a macro that not only lets me cast DI on him when I click on it. :D

/target Flyndar
/cast Divine Intervention(Rank 1)
vor_lord,Jun 28 2005, 09:42 AM Wrote:/target Flyndar
[right][snapback]81862[/snapback][/right]

See, I told you one of those smart guys would know a way to do it ;)
Stormrage:
Flyndar (60) - Dwarf Priest - Tailoring (300), Enchanting (300)
Minimagi (60) - Gnome Mage - Herbalism (300), Engineering (301)
Galreth (60) - Human Warrior - Blacksmithing (300), Alchemy (300); Critical Mass by name, Lurker in spirit
ArynWindborn (19) - Human Paladin - Mining/Engineering (121)
vor_lord,Jun 28 2005, 09:42 AM Wrote:/target Flyndar
And you don't even have to type the spell in. You can just shift click on the spell icon in your abilities book while you have the macro open for editing/making.
Intolerant monkey.
vor_lord,Jun 28 2005, 10:42 AM Wrote:/target Flyndar

Hmmmm. I did create a macro with /target Flyndar but ended up with my character saying "Target" in party chat everytime I pressed the macro key. I'll need to try again.
Treesh,Jun 28 2005, 07:52 AM Wrote:And you don't even have to type the spell in.  You can just shift click on the spell icon in your abilities book while you have the macro open for editing/making.
[right][snapback]81865[/snapback][/right]

Good point -- in fact make sure you do exactly that, or you'll miss a space or something and you won't know what went wrong ;)
my PW:S and Renew macros for myself are:

/target Concillian
/cast Renew(rank x)
/script TargetLastEnemy();

Other 'target' commands here:
http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warcraft_A...tting_Functions

and the rest of the page is full of other macro commands too.

I do not use self-cast because I use
shift #
ctrl #
and
alt #

for the various toolbars I have.

As long as I can cast the instants on myself easily, that seems to be good enough for me. Pretty useful in CTF too.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
I find that I can use "Alt + #" to use skill on self.

But for convenience, I use the following macro:

/script CastSpellByName('<spellname>(Rank <x>)')
/script SpellTargetUnit("player")

If you have other player selected, it will cast the skill on him/her, if you have enemy selected, it will cast the skill on self.

Edit: if the skill has no rank, like Blessing of Freedom, just omit the (Rank x) bit, i.e.:

/script CastSpellByName('Blessing of Freedom')
/script SpellTargetUnit("player")
- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
Gnollguy,Jun 28 2005, 09:19 AM Wrote:I use Telo's Alt Self Cast mod available here:
[right][snapback]81851[/snapback][/right]

I don't, and Alt + # works for self-cast for me. I don't think you need it for that functionality, though it doesn't work for my upper row of buttons which I have bound to shift-1, shift-2, etc. Apparently you can't hit alt and shift on the same spell.
Skandranon,Jun 28 2005, 10:30 AM Wrote:I don't, and Alt + # works for self-cast for me.&nbsp; I don't think you need it for that functionality, though it doesn't work for my upper row of buttons which I have bound to shift-1, shift-2, etc.&nbsp; Apparently you can't hit alt and shift on the same spell.
[right][snapback]81888[/snapback][/right]

What I use Telo's SelfCast for is to not have any modifier. If I have an enemy targeted and I hit a beneficial spell, it casts it on me instead.

Telo's is configurable to let you do Alt casting if you wish, but you're right, you don't need it if that's what you want.
Skandranon,Jun 28 2005, 12:30 PM Wrote:I don't, and Alt + # works for self-cast for me.&nbsp; I don't think you need it for that functionality, though it doesn't work for my upper row of buttons which I have bound to shift-1, shift-2, etc.&nbsp; Apparently you can't hit alt and shift on the same spell.
[right][snapback]81888[/snapback][/right]

Defautl UI will not self cast with an alt-click though. I still do a lot of click casting with stuff since I don't need to do anything else with the mouse in many cases. Telo's works with alt-control-# as well. None of my shift bound stuff is self targetable so I don't know if it works with that.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Jun 28 2005, 03:19 PM Wrote:Out of curiosity what mod are you using?
[right][snapback]81851[/snapback][/right]

I think it is called BeneCast. I do like the looks of the one var_lord posted a picture of though, might check that one out.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.