Swabbing the deck
Hi

We have a couple of large decks at the cottage. Both are made from local (Bruce Peninsula) white cedar, and are not sealed or treated in any way.

Every year, they get mildew on them, and need cleaning. For some time now, I have been (gleefully) using a pressure washer (power tools are fun) to clean them off. However, there is a down side to this method. It needs a very steady hand, or you make dents in the wood, especially at the part where you try to blast out the stuff that accumulates in between the boards. (Both decks have fairly large trees beside them, because there is no point in a deck if you cannot find a shady spot on it of a hot summer day, and thus spruce cones, spruce needles, leaves, etc. all end up in the cracks.)

Additionally, eventually the wear from the water also creates deeper grooves in the wood of the deck, making for even better places for the mildew to grow.

This year, I am trying an experiment (based on slave labour from my teenager). One deck will get the power washer treatment, and the other just got a thorough hands-and-knees scrub with hot water and vinegar, followed by a garden hose washing. It looks just as good as the power washed one, albeit with considerably more elbow grease and time (although it was not my time or elbow grease). I am thinking that this method does have the benefit of less wear on the deck surface.

My question is (for those of you who have decks for summer living-rooms):

What do you do? Are there other (inexpensive) alternatives that you would suggest?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Jun 27 2005, 10:28 AM Wrote:This year, I am trying an experiment (based on slave labour from my teenager).  One deck will get the power washer treatment, and the other just got a thorough hands-and-knees scrub with hot water and vinegar, followed by a garden hose washing.   

What do you do?  Are there other (inexpensive) alternatives that you would suggest?
[right][snapback]81760[/snapback][/right]

Save the knees. Give it the treatment (Warm vinegar water) but go to your local hardware store and buy a good, stiff-bristled pushbroom to apply it with. You'll get the work done in a fraction of the time, and possibly with better results than someone on their hands and knees. That's what I used to do, when I lived in a house that had a deck attached to it.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Jun 27 2005, 12:22 PM Wrote:Save the knees. Give it the treatment (Warm vinegar water) but go to your local hardware store and buy a good, stiff-bristled pushbroom to apply it with. You'll get the work done in a fraction of the time, and possibly with better results than someone on their hands and knees. That's what I used to do, when I lived in a house that had a deck attached to it.
[right][snapback]81783[/snapback][/right]

I'm in agreement with the Stiff-Bristled pushbroom Mirajj suggested. I've spent a number of summers cleaning off decks at my grandparents cottage, and our own back deck. The water gun is quicker and more fun, but like you mentioned very tedious.

There is always the cheap way out, get a nice thin clear sealer for the deck. With a sprayer its very easy to apply, and often times can be laid on very thin without much difference in appearance. If you do decide to go that route, just make sure you get a good cleaner and give it a good wash with either a sprayer or a belt sander with very LIGHT gritt sandpaper.

I lucked out, and both my grand parents and parents decided to give up and go with a paint job. All it needs now is a quick hit with a belt sander and a roller every summer. B)
Munkay,Jun 27 2005, 05:38 PM Wrote:There is always the cheap way out, get a nice thin clear sealer for the deck.  With a sprayer its very easy to apply, and often times can be laid on very thin without much difference in appearance.  If you do decide to go that route, just make sure you get a good cleaner and give it a good wash with either a sprayer or a belt sander with very LIGHT gritt sandpaper.

[right][snapback]81805[/snapback][/right]

I like the stiff-bristled pushbroom idea. Thanks Mirajj :)

I would rather avoid the sealer method, because I do like the smell of cedar. And I would rather not do the paint method, because I really do like the look of wood. Additionally, that labour of the belt sanding of the entire deck (and bench seats and railing) would add up to a major project. Can it really be easier to paint it annually than scrub it annually? Also there are plenty of other projects higher on the list, at the moment. (New siding would be nice. The current siding is original and hence is older than I am. :o )
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Jun 27 2005, 05:55 PM Wrote:I like the stiff-bristled pushbroom idea.  Thanks Mirajj :)

I would rather avoid the sealer method, because I do like the smell of cedar.  And I would rather not do the paint method, because I really do like the look of wood.  Additionally, that labour of the belt sanding of the entire deck (and bench seats and railing) would add up to a major project.    Can it really be easier to paint it annually than scrub it annually? Also there are plenty of other projects higher on the list, at the moment.    (New siding would be nice.  The current siding is  original and hence is older than I am.  :o )
[right][snapback]81807[/snapback][/right]

Purchase a deck scrubber.

They are hydro powered. Screw them on to the end of a garden hose, fill the little screw on jar with soap, and turn it on. The water pressure makes the brushes spin at high speed. I use one to clean out some areas of the barn. Also to clean the front area, which is large flat rocks laid in cement. Not only to do the spinning brushes do a great job, there are little holes between them that squirt out high pressured jets of water and soap. I can clean large areas in a very short space of time. I picked mine up at a local hardware store for about sixty dollars... Mayhap you can find one in Canada at a reasonable price? Are things more expensive there? I dunno. Mine will get goat#$%& out of the cracks on the barn floor so I am pretty sure it should clean your deck with no real fuss.

Use child labour! I am all for that. Kids need chores. It wont kill them. Or put it on the Honeydo list. Child labour is better though. Damn kids are to lazy now.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
ShadowHM,Jun 27 2005, 05:55 PM Wrote:I would rather avoid the sealer method, because I do like the smell of cedar.  And I would rather not do the paint method, because I really do like the look of wood. 

I thought so :)

ShadowHM,Jun 27 2005, 05:55 PM Wrote:Additionally, that labour of the belt sanding of the entire deck (and bench seats and railing) would add up to a major project.    Can it really be easier to paint it annually than scrub it annually?

I'm guessing the deck is rather large! Belt sanding can definitely become a big project. I was a big misleading by my first post, so please accept my humble rephrasing. A deck generally doesnt need to be belt sanded every year. After about 3 years of painting (or ~5 years of sealing) it can start to build up. Of course everytime loose paint is taken off, but in order to keep it looking tip top shape, the belt sander is needed every 3 years or so. The advantage to this method is you only end up sanding off excess layers of paint, and given a more even appearance by slightly buffing down high spots that happen when the boards naturally warp slightly.

Plus it buffs away those annoying dents and divits created by a water blaster!

There is also an off chance that you could find a oil that has a slight preserver included in it (I'm assuming you oil the wood occaisionally to keep it nice and healthy). But if you don't oil, and its looking great, then please disregard the last comment!

ShadowHM,Jun 27 2005, 05:55 PM Wrote:Also there are plenty of other projects higher on the list, at the moment.    (New siding would be nice.  The current siding is  original and hence is older than I am.  :o )

I admit, the scrub brush does sound ideal. :)

Cheers,

Munk