The Miracle of Life
http://film.toxic.no/film/MiracleOfLife.mov

This made me laugh a lot. I hope it's not too controversial for this crowd :blush:
Took me a sec., but... :lol:
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Funny clip :)

Strangely enough, there's the national championship for brass school bands this week-end in Oslo as well. Seems strange they scheduled this competition in the same weekend as the gay pride-thingie. I'm not saying young people shouldn't be educated in the subjects of homosexuality, but being confronted with lavish parades and semi-naked homosexualites might not be the best way to do it. :P

Pictures from online newspaper:
[Image: 147797u0088_1173080_297581g.jpg]

http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimedia/arc...068_297593g.jpg <-- Warning. Boobies en masse!

http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimedia/arc...102_297588g.jpg <-- Is that Ian McKellan? B)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
DeeBye,Jun 26 2005, 12:47 AM Wrote:http://film.toxic.no/film/MiracleOfLife.mov

This made me laugh a lot.&nbsp; I hope it's not too controversial for this crowd&nbsp; :blush:
[right][snapback]81676[/snapback][/right]

You are officially on my list of people to look out for now DeeBye.

That... Was just plain horrible.

**Raises eyebrow**

:wacko:
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Ever notice how "gay pride" in practice seems to mean "gay soft core sex show".
You should give hints as to the topic on potentially controversal links.
DeeBye,Jun 26 2005, 07:47 AM Wrote:http://film.toxic.no/film/MiracleOfLife.mov

This made me laugh a lot.&nbsp; I hope it's not too controversial for this crowd&nbsp; :blush:

Thanks for posting it, I actually liked it ;)
Ghostiger,Jun 26 2005, 08:56 AM Wrote:Ever notice how "gay pride" in practice seems to mean "gay soft core sex show".

Who hasn't? Regardless of how many gay pride gatherings there are that aren't like that, it's the bizarre ones that will get the most media attention. It's the overtly sexual ones that will form the connotations in the public's mind when they think of "gay pride," as illustrated by this article from The Onion.

TheOnion Wrote:Gay Pride Parade Sets Mainstream Acceptance of Gays Back 50 Years

West Hollywood, CA -- The mainstream acceptance of gays and lesbians, a hard-won civil-rights victory gained through decades of struggle against prejudice and discrimination, was set back at least 50 years Saturday in the wake of the annual Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade.

"I'd always thought gays were regular people, just like you and me, and that the stereotype of homosexuals as hedonistic, sex-crazed deviants was just a destructive myth," said mother of four Hannah Jarrett, 41, mortified at the sight of 17 tanned and oiled boys cavorting in jock straps to a throbbing tecno beat on a float shaped like an enormous phallus. "Boy, oh, boy, was I wrong."

The parade, organized by the Los Angeles Gay And Lesbian And Bisexual And Transvestite And Transgender Alliance (LAGALABATATA), was intended to "promote acceptance, tolerance, and equality for the city's gay community." Just the opposite, however, was accomplished, as the event confirmed the worst fears of thousands of non-gay spectators, cementing in their minds a debauched and distorted images of gay life straight out of the most virulent right-wing hate literature.

[IMAGE: Underdressed leather-clad guys, wearing leather buttfloss, licking and groping each other on a public street. Caption: Members of the Laguna Beach Leatherdaddy Association make their final pre-march preparations.]

Among the parade sights and sounds that did inestimable harm to the gay-rights cause: a group of obese women in leather biker outfits passing out clitoris-shaped lollipops to horrified onlookers; a man in military uniform leading a submissive masochist, clad in diapers and a baby bonnet, around on a dog leash; several Hispanic dancers in rainbow wigs and miniskirts performed "humping" motions on a mannequin dressed as the Pope; a dozen gyrating drag queens in see-through dresses holding penis-shaped beer bottles that appeared to spurt ejaculation-like foam when shaken and poured onto passersby.

Timothy Orsco, 51, a local Walgreens manager whose store is on the parade route, changed his attitude toward gays as a result of the event. "They kept chanting things like, 'We're here, we're queer, get used to it!' and 'Hey, hey, we're gay, we're not going to go away!'" Orosco said, "And all I can say is, I was used to it, but now, although I'd never felt this way before, I wish they would go away."

Allison Weber, 43, an El Segundo marketing consultant, also had her perceptions and assumptions about gays challenged by the parade. "My understanding was that gay people are just like everybody else -- decent, hard-working people who are about their communities and have loving, committed relationships," Weber said. "After this terrifying spectacle, I don't want them teaching my kids or living in my neighborgood."

The parade's influence extended beyond LA's borders, altering the attitudes of straight people across America. Footage of the event was featured on telecasts of "The 700 Club" as "proof of the sin-steeped world of homosexuality." A photospread in Monday's USA Today chronicled many of the event's vulgar displays -- understood by gays to be tongue-in-cheek "high camp" -- which horrified previously tolerant people from coast to coast.

Dr. Henry Thorne, a NYU history professor who has written several books about the gay rights movement explained the misunderstanding. "After centuries of oppression as an 'invisible' segment of society, gays emboldened by the 1969 Stonewall uprising, took to the streets in the early '70s with an 'in-your-face' attitude. Confronting the worst prejudices of a world that didn't accept them, they fought back against the prejudices with exaggeration and parody, reclaiming their enemies' worst seterotypes about them and turning them into sybols of gay pride," Thorne said. "Thirty years later, gays have won far greater acceptance in the world at large, but they keep doing this stuff anyway."

"Mostly, I think, because it's really fun," Thorne added.

The Los Angeles Gay Pride Parade, Thorne noted, is part of a decades-old gay-rights tradition. But for mainstream heterosexuals unfamiliar with irony and the reclamation of stereotypes for the purpose of exploding them, the parade resembled an invasion of grotesque outer-space mutants, bent on the desturction of the human race.

"I have a cousin who's a gay, and he seemed like a decent enough guy to me," said Iowa City, IA, resident Russ Linder, in LA for a weekend sales seminar. "Now, thanks to that parade, I realize what a freak he's been all along. Gays are all sick, immoral perverts."

Parade organizers vowed to make changes in the wake of the negative reaction among heterosexuals.

"I knew it. I said we needed 100 dancers on the 'Show Us Your Ass' float, but everybody insisted that 50 would be enough," said Lady Labia, spokesperson for LAGALABATATA. "Next year, we're really going to give those breeders something to look at.

What the Onion doesn't mention is that it's not just non-gay people who look at the parades and think "WTF is wrong with those people?" I'd say most people who look outside to see a flotilla of partial nudity going down the street would think the same damn thing, regardless of what the cause is. It could be "Nudists Against Breast Cancer" or maybe "National Forget Your Clothes Day," it'd have the same effect. The problem is, as the Onion points out, the association made with the spectacle. When people start thinking the half-naked parade represents what it is to be gay, even gay people don't want to be associated with it. Here's one gay comedian's thoughts on pride parades (1.7mb humorous mp3; coarse language; not worksafe).

-Lemmy
DeeBye,Jun 26 2005, 05:47 AM Wrote:http://film.toxic.no/film/MiracleOfLife.mov

That's pretty funny! :lol:
Signature? What do you mean?
Its more than just nudity.
Its its the explicitly sexual nature of the nudity.

Gays want to be treated as regular minority like blacks or latinos yet so many of them regularly try to be offensive. It wouldnt seem so absurd if there was a noticable outcry from the majority of gays condeming the blatent attempts to be offensive.

Imagine if there was a Bllack History parade and it was filled half naked black mena and women groping one-another. Why do gays think they are extra special?

Frankly I suspect the majority of the gay community is perverse(beyond the question of sodemy.)
There is a great deal of open acceptence with in the gay community of extreme behavior such as orgies, even by those who may be may live moral mundale lives. I think its because for most people(males att least) being gay is mostly about exciting sex or at least starts that way.
Ghostiger,Jun 26 2005, 07:38 PM Wrote:Its more than just nudity.
Its its the explicitly sexual nature of the nudity.
Gays want to be treated as regular minority like blacks or latinos yet so many of them regularly try to be offensive. It wouldnt seem so absurd if there was a noticable outcry from the majority of gays condeming the blatent attempts to be offensive.

Imagine if there was a Bllack History parade&nbsp; and it was filled half naked black mena and women groping one-another. Why do gays think they are extra special?
Frankly I suspect the majority of the gay community is perverse(beyond the question of sodemy.)
There is a great deal of open acceptence with in the gay community of extreme behavior such as orgies, even by those who may be may live moral mundale lives. I think its because for most people(males att least) being gay is mostly about exciting sex or at least starts that way.
[right][snapback]81718[/snapback][/right]

You may or may not be right.

Homosexuals do not deserve the coveted "victim status." For that matter, neither do Latinos. No one forced them to swim the Rio Grande. :o The affirmative action steps taken to mitigate the social vicious cycle laid on the black community was worth doing. A hand up, not a hand out. The process got perceived as an entitlement, read money, and all of a sudden, the victim status line formed.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jun 26 2005, 09:45 PM Wrote:You may or may not be right.

Homosexuals do not deserve the coveted "victim status."&nbsp; For that matter, neither do Latinos.&nbsp; No one forced them to swim the Rio Grande.&nbsp; :o&nbsp; The affirmative action steps taken to mitigate the social vicious cycle laid on the black community was worth doing.&nbsp; A hand up, not a hand out.&nbsp; The process got perceived as an entitlement, read money, and all of a sudden, the victim status line formed.

Occhi
[right][snapback]81721[/snapback][/right]

Bah. I am fed up with affirmative action. Reverse Racism can suck my left nut.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Ghostiger,Jun 26 2005, 09:38 PM Wrote:Frankly I suspect the majority of the gay community is perverse(beyond the question of sodemy.)

After US13's comment last year, that's the most bigoted, ignorant paragraph I've ever read on the Lounge. You don't actually know any gay people, do you?

-Lem
Please explain what was actually bigoted about it.

The only point that I gave actual evidence of bigotry toward was against people being involved in or condoning orgies.

There was definetly nothing ignorant about it.
I have known several.

Too be honest some were just intrinsically efeminate and the whole idea of homosexual sex appeared to be secondary result of this. In one instance I saw this with a kid I knew in grade school who ended up a rather quite gay guy as an adult. I have met other adults that reminded me much of him.

My perspective is its a rather harmless disorder - not unlike Asperbers Syndrome or mild retardation. In a bilological since it inhibits(but does not stop) reproduction but is rather harmless.

But most gays I have meet dont seem like that. They seem pretty much like everyone else except who they bang - andthat they are imordinatly focuses on sex(or were when they were younger). Sure I meet straight guys like that, but they are the exception and are genneraly disrespected by people in genneral.
Ghostiger,Jun 27 2005, 12:26 AM Wrote:Please explain what was actually bigoted about it.

This line "I think its because for most people(males att least) being gay is mostly about exciting sex or at least starts that way." exhibits either an extreme ignorance of sexuality or is attempting to classify a group of people by the behavior of a subset of that group. It's no more fair to say that being gay "is mostly about exciting sex" than it is to say being straight "is mostly about having as many kids humanly as possible."

-Lem
Its my observation - thats not "bigoted'. I could be wrong(and I left room for that in the original comment), but thats what I see.

Something to note is just why is AIDs so prevalent in the homosexual community? I think its largely because casual sex is so common.

This whole topic often feels like the Emporers cloths to me.
I find it difficult to believe that straight people aren't just as hedonistic as the activities mentioned in the above-mentioned "gay pride" parade. It's just that since being straight is the mainstream, these gay pride parades get more attention because they aren't the norm. Google has turned up such straight sex festivals as the "Sex Maniac's Ball", "The Love Parade", "Hot d'Or", "Exotic Erotic Ball", etc. Throw in Mardi Gras (naked straight people roaming the streets - oh noes!), and you have plenty of hedonism on equal if not greater terms.

The media has certain hot button issues that they always love to jam down our throats. Hot button #1 is: Missing pretty white girl. Hot button #2 is: Those damn gay people!

(The media's fascination with missing pretty white girls is a whole 'nother thread.)

I think the most amusing part about people being offended by the supposed "crazy" antics of homosexual people is that society has forced homosexuals to the fringes, and then acts surprised when they do things that are outside what society would consider as the norm. And then people use the self-fulfilling prophecy as an excuse for further excluding homosexual people - who, may I remind, are human beings like everyone else - from our society.

All I have to say is... lol?

But I digress. I have plenty of friends that are gay, and the vast majority of them you would never be able to tell that they were. One of our neighbors (a guy who I also count as a friend) is gay and throws parties where the vast majority of attendants are gay. I have gone there with my housemates, with girls, and by myself and it was never weird or akward. The first time I went in a bit apprehensive, but within 30 minutes I found out they were all god guys and I got to hit on every girl in sight.

Edit: With the thread veering into much more serious regions, I forgot to say that I was quite amused by the link Dee and have seen it in a couple different places now. It sure is making its rounds on the internet.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Ghostiger,Jun 27 2005, 01:11 AM Wrote:Its my observation - thats not "bigoted'. I could be wrong(and I left room for that in the original comment), but thats what I see.

There's a difference between saying "Gay males seem to have more casual sex than straight males" and saying "I think ... for most people(males att least) being gay is mostly about exciting sex or at least starts that way." To me, the latter sounds like "Gay? Oh, that's just guys that want lots of sex."

-Lem
Ghostiger,Jun 27 2005, 05:11 AM Wrote:This whole topic often feels like the Emporers cloths to me.
[right][snapback]81731[/snapback][/right]

Sweet Jesus, I think my head glans just exploded.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.