Taking Screenshots.
Could someone please tell me how to take a Screenshot from a game? How do you do it?
BrianLeichty35,Jun 17 2005, 02:06 PM Wrote:Could someone please tell me how to take a Screenshot from a game?  How do you do it?
[right][snapback]80942[/snapback][/right]

Most Blizzard games its the Print Scrn key and you find the screenshot in the game directory. If its a non-Blizzard game you might wanna state which for those familiar with the game to help you.
Edit: Somehow got put in Outline mode so I didn't see the responses :P
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
You could also use Fraps. It's meant for video capture during games, but it also does a wonderful job of capturing screenshots as well. It's a tiny utility that sits in your taskbar while you are playing your game.

From the website:
Quote:You can select the folder where Fraps will store all screenshots in. By default this folder is the same as the directory you installed Fraps into, but you can customise it to save anywhere on your disk. Click the Change button to select a new folder, or the View button to show the current contents of the folder.

The Screen Capture Hotkey lets you assign a button that will take a screenshot of the game screen. To change the Hotkey, click in the box and type a new key to be assigned this function. Clicking Disable will stop the Hotkey from having any effect.

Screenshots can be saved in Windows Bitmap (BMP), JPEG (JPG), or Portable Network Graphics (PNG) format.
Yeah, print screen is the usual key for taking screenshots. If not, then check your game's manual, or even look through the key bindings.

Just because print screen is there doesn't mean that developers use it. I've seen F5, F9, F12, and once Ctrl-K (?) used as screengrab keys.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Even if the game doesn't support screen capping, you can still do it. Hitting the Print Screen key saves the screen to the clipboard. All you have to do then is paste it in Paint or any other picture editing software (Paintshop probably works as well, but I've never tried it) and save the file.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Jun 19 2005, 02:32 PM Wrote:Even if the game doesn't support screen capping, you can still do it.  Hitting the Print Screen key saves the screen to the clipboard.  All you have to do then is paste it in Paint or any other picture editing software (Paintshop probably works as well, but I've never tried it) and save the file.
[right][snapback]81013[/snapback][/right]

Not always, if the game has focus, and it chews up keys that it doesn't understand then this wont work, unless you can go to windowed mode and make it a non-focussed window (i.e. make something else active). I have a few annoying programs like that :(
That, and using a non-dedicated print screen for most modern games brings up a garbled mess of graphics.

But most modern games do have screengrab keys. Mostly.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386