Various thoughts on human morality
Nystul,Jun 14 2005, 02:56 PM Wrote:I guess it is just that, 60 years after the fact, the results seem so self-evident.  The more repulsed you would be by the experiment, the more afraid you would be to stop.  Perhaps I, unlike the psychologist who set up this experiment, find nothing surprising about the behavior of the Nazi soldiers who were "just following orders".
[right][snapback]80605[/snapback][/right]

They were also exercising a simple human reaction to accusation of wrong doing, which is known as shifting blame. Likewise, they were indulging in a game of survival, since they were powerless in a general sense to prevent the conquering powers from doing to them as they pleased. In order to survive outside of a prison, they did whatever they thought would work not to end up in jail.

What does telling the truth have to do with anything? In a survival situation, you will do what it takes to survive.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Small world.

I was given that Apocalyptica CD as a joke for Christmas a few years ago. I dunno, I kinda liked it (of course I play the cello, so, I'm biased). Granted, it does illustrate the limitations of the instrument.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Jun 15 2005, 07:11 AM Wrote:Small world.

I was given that Apocalyptica CD as a joke for Christmas a few years ago. I dunno, I kinda liked it (of course I play the cello, so, I'm biased). Granted, it does illustrate the limitations of the instrument.
[right][snapback]80712[/snapback][/right]
Which one?

In their latest (the fourth) album released in the U.S. they gave up the "pure cello" aspect and had artists contributing with drums and violins. But Reflections is, in my opinion, more accurately regarded to be a celloist's album rather than a metalhead's album.

Their first album, Plays Metallic by Four Cellos, is just that: a translation of Metallica songs through cello. While the album's concept was exploratory, the actual execution was far from. It was a straight note-for-note interpretation without making any use of the cello's natural nuances to enhance the pieces. To their credit, that flaw doesn't manifest itself in any of the later albums.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.