Instance Guide: Scarlet Monastery
<<Work In Progress>>

The Secret Cow Clan's Guide to
The Scarlet Monastery

The Scarlet Monastery is a great mid-level instance, which has the advantage of being split into 4 parts - you can choose to do just one part, or all, which is great for people without 4 solid hours available ;) - and offers great loot as well as great and memorable encounters. I had a hard time finding information on this fun adventure - it seems that everyone takes it for granted, or goes with someone who's been before - so I decided, after completing the Monastery, to write a guide. This won't be an epic story like MongoJerry's Tales of Neriad, nor the stagnant spew that is 'hosted' by some sites as guides; I posted it here both to inform and to discuss! Thanks to all the Lurkers who help with this guide! You are awesome!

[Image: tirsfalgladesmonestary7uj.jpg]

Level Range: 30-45, depending on group makeup and which parts you wish to do. For pickup groups, levels 35-43 are more likely to find groups (30's are appropriate for the Graveyard but will have trouble with any of the other areas); while the Meeting Stone tops out at level 43. Group members at level 35 may have trouble hitting the bosses and higher-level minions in the Barracks and Cathedral.

Location: The Monastery is located in north-eastern Tirisfal Glades. This is a quick jaunt from the Undercity or zepplin-ride from Orgrimar for the Horde, but a long and potentially aggravating (and possibly dangerous on a PVP server) run from Southshore, through Hillsbrad, through Silverpine, and through Tirsfal for the Alliance.

Tips for Alliance on PvP servers:

- Unless Southshore is under siege by the Horde at the time of your landing, the Hillsbrad part of your run will not be a problem; most of the fighting occurs in the North-South corridor between Southshore and Tarren Mill, and your route starts out going West.

- Except for groups in their mid-high 20's heading for Shadowfang Keep, you are unlikely to meet any enemies out of their teen's in Silverpine Forest: a long but relatively safe run. For ultimate ease of passage through Silverpine, cut through Lordamere Lake and emerge on the north shore by the walls of the Undercity.

- The real danger starts when you come into Tirisfal, which, as Enemy Territory, means you can be attacked but not initiate a fight yourself. There are really two options to get through a tight spot here: go inbetween the zepplin tower and Undercity and hope a zepplin doesn't land while you are runing through, or take a much longer route all the way around Brill (or in the tight spot between the zepplin and Brill, though if you aggro the Brill gaurds and trigger a 'Brill is under attack!' message you'll wish you didn't) and head towards the Monastery. Worse, when you reach the outside of the Monastery, there are very likely to be Horde groups safely waiting for more members, or higher-levels helping out. It is a good idea to run quickly into one of the instance portals if possible; both the Tirisfal General and Looking For Group channels will work from there. Ideally, groups will be formed in Southshore or Ironforge before even making the run - make sure your group knows which part of the Monastery willbe first so that you can all run quickly into the appropriate portal.

Layout: The Monastery has a small un-instanced area, with an opening hall that leads into the four parts of this instance (in acending level/difficulty): the Graveyard, the Library, the Barracks (aka the Armory), and the Cathedral. The Graveyard's entrance is the western portal; the eastern portal leads to the Library. The Barracks and the Cathedral portals are behind locked doors to the north-east and north-west, respectively.

Enemies in the Entryway:<<Work In Progress>>

Quests: <<Work In Progress>>

On to the Graveyard!
[Image: gurnseyheader6lk.jpg]
Graveyard

[Image: scarletmonistarygraveyard6kh.jpg]

Enemies: Level ranges from ~28 to 34 and can be pulled anywhere from singly to four at once. Enemies are Humanoid and Undead.

Layout: This area is the shortest of the four parts of the Monastery, and it is divided into 4 sections - the Entry, the Torture Chamber, the Graveyard, and the Crypt.

<<Help! Picture Needed for Entry>>

Entry: This short hallway is similar to the non-instanced portion of the Monastery. It is guarded by <<Help! Need mob types in Entry>>. At the end of the hall is the Torture Chambers.

<<Help! Picture needed for Torture Chamber>>

Torture Chambers: Bring out...THE COMFY CHAIR! In this four-squared section you find Scarlet Torturers in pairs, threes, and a group of 4. There is also a named-elite <<Help! What's his name?>> here that has some hilarious vocals, but does not drop anything noteworthy. In the north-west square, there is an NPC that starts the Horde quest Vorrel's Revenge. In the south-west square is a group of four Torturers; these can be bypassed if your group is lower in the level range and can't handle four at once. After the Torture Chambers, there is a short hall leading to the Graveyard.

[Image: moregraveyard3an.jpg]

Graveyard: Groups of 4, and patrols! Time to panic? No! The blue-ghost types out here are not elites. The zombies are elites, but don't do anything special otherwise. The shade (black-ghost) types are elites and they also start summoning the blue ghosts - take these out quickly! Both the zombies and shades can be pulled singly. At the end of this busy section is the Crypt.

[Image: crypt7uq.jpg]

Crypt: Pull, don't charge! The rooms in the crypt are quite tight and moving into one room can pull enemies from the nearby rooms into the fight. The mix of enemies is the same as in the Graveyard. After winding down and around a few times, you come to the final room with Bloodmage Thalnos.

[Image: bloodmagethalnos7ig.jpg]

BOSS - Bloodmage Thalnos: Thalnos is alone in the very bottom room of the crypt. He himself is not too hard or surprising - this will be your easiest boss-fight in the Monestary.

Notable loot (one of the two will drop):
Orb of the Forgotten Seer - a decent off-hand item for mages, priests and warlocks who don't use a staff. Also possibly useful to a druid.
Bloodmage Mantle - cloth shoulders for the squishies in the group. Not terrible, but not outstanding.

Next up, the Library!
Library

[Image: scarletmonestarylibrary6zl.jpg]

Enemies: Level ranges from ~28 to 36 and can be pulled in at most groups of 3, if you are careful. An exception is Houndmaster Loksey. Enemies are Humanoids and Beasts.

Layout: Quite a bit longer than the Graveyard, this part is divided into 4 sections - the Entry, the Courtyard, the Library and the Athenaeum (though the last is simply the room of Arcanist Doan).

[Image: firsthallway9io.jpg]

Entry: The entry hall is guarded by Scarlet Gallants, Scarlet Acolytes <<Help! Is this name right? I can't find their listing on Thott>>, and Scarlet Beastmasters. The Gallants are Paladins and use the stun Hammer of Justice as well as Judging the Seal of the Crusader. This is anywhere from annoying to deadly when combined with the Acolytes, which are Priests. They use Smite, which, when the Seal of Crusader is judged onto you, can be quie painful; they also heal themselves and others. The Beastmasters are hunters, but don't have any special skills beyond the use of a bow. They are followed around by Scarlet Tracking Hounds which are hard-hitting elites of their own right and not 'pets' of the Beastmasters per se.

<<Help! Need a picture of the Courtyard>>

Courtyard: The courtyard contains the same enemies as the entry. Beastmasters are more populous here. To the east is the library section; to the south is this area's first boss, Houndmaster Loksey. If your group is going to take on Loksey, it would be prudent to clear out the courtyard.

BOSS - Houndmaster Loksey: This boss encounter can be quite hard because of the numbers and damage involved: Loksey is guarded by 3 Tracking Hounds. Crowd Control is essential here unless your group is vastly overlevelled as, even if your tank can keep all enemies' attention, the healer may or may not be able to keep up with the damage and avoid aggro themselves. Thankfully, your options are good here. A Druid can send one of the hounds to dream-land; Hunters can scare one of the hounds off; Rogues can sap Loksey if they can get behind him without being seen, but as his guard dogs are facing him, this might prove impossible; mages can Polymorph him as well. Priest, Warlock, or Warrior fear effects can also be useful (remember the part about clearing the courtyard?).

Notable loot:
Loksey's Training Stick - A nice staff for those who actually fight with a staff (base-form Druids, Shaman sometimes, Warriors rarely) but useless for casters. A fairly rare drop.
Dog Training Gloves - Good gloves for leather wearers with a decent effect - +attack when fighting beasts is far more useful at this level than, say, +attack vs. elementals or demons.
Dog Whistle - Another fairly rare drop, this summons a level 30 Tracking Hound for 10 minutes. Unfortunately, it has only 3 charges. What a cheap whistle!

<<Work In Progress>>
Barracks
(or the Armory)

[Image: scarletmonestarybarracks3rg.jpg]

Enemies: Level ranges from ~34 to 40 and can be pulled in at most groups of 3, if you are careful. And oh, a group of about 20. But we'll get to that...

Layout: This is a long and twisty part of this instance. It is divided roughly into 3 sections: the Entry and Courtyard (Training Grounds), the Armory, and finally Herod's Chamber.

<<Work In Progress!>>
Cathedral

[Image: scarletmonestarycathedral5my.jpg]

Enemies: Level ranges from ~30 to 42 and include a mix of all human enemies seen so far as well as some new ones. With careful pulling, groups can be limited to 3.

Layout: This is the final part of the instance and is quite open, but very populated! It is divided into 3 sections: the Entry hall, the open Garden, and the final Scarlet Chapel.

<<Work In Progress!>>
Looks nice! I look forward to seeing more.
One itty bitty thing. I've killed Bloodmage Thalnos a half a dozen times now, and have never seen anyone but just him in the little chamber he's in. Do you mean he has guards in the sense that they are the ghosts in the rooms up the stairs from him?
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,May 28 2005, 02:47 PM Wrote:One itty bitty thing. I've killed Bloodmage Thalnos a half a dozen times now, and have never seen anyone but just him in the little chamber he's in. Do you mean he has guards in the sense that they are the ghosts in the rooms up the stairs from him?
[right][snapback]78828[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm, I'm writing up the Graveyard from memory of about 2 months ago :) I'll trust your 6 kills more than my memory. This is why I wanted to post this here! Thanks!
Gurnsey,May 28 2005, 12:33 AM Wrote:<<Work In Progress>>

The Secret Cow Clan's Guide to
The Scarlet Monestary

Level Range: 25-45, depending on group makeup and which parts you wish to do.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that it's 25-45. I can't imagine a level 25 group getting anywhere. I also think that a level 25 character, even a priest has no chance of finding a pickup group for SM. I'd say 30-45

Quote:Location: The Monestary

Monastery

Quote:Tirsfal

Tirisfal

Quote:aggrivating

aggravating

Quote: (and possibly dangerous at the lower levels)

not really relevant. It's only dangerous if the level 21ish bears on the road from Hillsbrad to Silverpine are a problem and if that's the case you're doing the wrong instance

Great start!
Gurnsey,May 29 2005, 12:53 AM Wrote:Hmmm, I'm writing up the Graveyard from memory of about 2 months ago :)&nbsp; I'll trust your 6 kills more than my memory.&nbsp; This is why I wanted to post this here!&nbsp; Thanks!
[right][snapback]78829[/snapback][/right]
I seem to recall fighting one or two ghosts in Thalnos's room, actually. Done it three or so times, while soloing it at as a rogue higher levels.

Quote:not really relevant. It's only dangerous if the level 21ish bears on the road from Hillsbrad to Silverpine are a problem and if that's the case you're doing the wrong instance
It's dangerous on a PvP server.
Brista,May 28 2005, 11:27 PM Wrote:I'm not sure it's fair to say that it's 25-45. I can't imagine a level 25 group getting anywhere. I also think that a level 25 character, even a priest has no chance of finding a pickup group for SM. I'd say 30-45
[right][snapback]78847[/snapback][/right]

Notes added re: level range. I agree on the pickup-group.

Brista,May 28 2005, 11:27 PM Wrote:Monastery
Tirisfal

Corrected. Though I'm proud to say that my incorrect spelling is in fact BETTER than the internal spelling of Thottbot and Allakhazam (the spelling of the links and categories comes straight from the game and is correct, but the spelling of the file names of pictures and such...worse than mine ;))

Board Mod's - is there any way of correcting the spelling of Monastery in the title of this thread? Or am I going to have to repost? Thanks!

Brista,May 28 2005, 11:27 PM Wrote:not really relevant. It's only dangerous if the level 21ish bears on the road from Hillsbrad to Silverpine are a problem and if that's the case you're doing the wrong instance

Great start!
[right][snapback]78847[/snapback][/right]

Thanks. I was thinking PvP server (see Phoenix's post). Clarified.

Thanks for the feedback!
Phoenix,May 29 2005, 06:18 AM Wrote:It's dangerous on a PvP server.
[right][snapback]78858[/snapback][/right]

Extremely, being so close to the Undercity.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Gurnsey,May 29 2005, 08:58 AM Wrote:Board Mod's - is there any way of correcting the spelling of Monastery in the title of this thread?&nbsp; Or am I going to have to repost?&nbsp; Thanks!

Done.
Phoenix,May 29 2005, 02:18 PM Wrote:I seem to recall fighting one or two ghosts in Thalnos's room, actually. Done it three or so times, while soloing it at as a rogue higher levels.
It's dangerous on a PvP server.
[right][snapback]78858[/snapback][/right]
From Horde PoV:
- I will assume you should be around lvl 35 when going to SM (very few people do Graveyard and everyone must do at least Library)

- Hillsbrad is easy - all the mass PvP is happening on SS-TM route, which should be easy to avoid unless SS is under heavy siege at the time of your coming

- The highest horde you will ever meet in Silverpine Forest are SFK groups, who are biggest danger for you. After getting TM flightpath and doing SFK, there's really no point of ever going there for horde. If you already travel there in a group, you should have no problem. Also Ambermill mobs are friendly to you and you can go around the lake if you're paranoid

- Problems begin around UC - if you are not mounted and zeppelin happens to land, I wish you happy corpserun. That is unless you decide to run around Brill - quite a long run. However this is only for a short part around the UC-Zeppelin route.

- Worst part is the entrance to SM itself, IMO, because there are meeting horde groups incl. lvl 60 helpers who can decide when to kill you, but not vice versa. I would recommend quick run into the instance, you can look for group there (you have access to General and LFG channels for SM from there).
MongoJerry,May 30 2005, 11:26 PM Wrote:Done.
[right][snapback]78973[/snapback][/right]
Thanks.

MongoJerry, you rock!
Tharn,May 31 2005, 12:01 AM Wrote:From Horde PoV:
- I will assume you should be around lvl 35 when going to SM (very few people do Graveyard and everyone must do at least Library)
Thanks - I was overlevelled a bit when I started SM the first time, so I've been having trouble coming up with a good level range for this.

Tharn,May 31 2005, 12:01 AM Wrote:- Hillsbrad is easy - all the mass PvP is happening on SS-TM route, which should be easy to avoid unless SS is under heavy siege at the time of your coming

- The highest horde you will ever meet in Silverpine Forest are SFK groups, who are biggest danger for you. After getting TM flightpath and doing SFK, there's really no point of ever going there for horde. If you already travel there in a group, you should have no problem. Also Ambermill mobs are friendly to you and you can go around the lake if you're paranoid

- Problems begin around UC - if you are not mounted and zeppelin happens to land, I wish you happy corpserun. That is unless you decide to run around Brill - quite a long run. However this is only for a short part around the UC-Zeppelin route.

- Worst part is the entrance to SM itself, IMO, because there are meeting horde groups incl. lvl 60 helpers who can decide when to kill you, but not vice versa. I would recommend quick run into the instance, you can look for group there (you have access to General and LFG channels for SM from there).
[right][snapback]78981[/snapback][/right]
Excellent! I added your tips to the guide. As I am not on a PvP server, any Alliance PvP'ers are encouraged to make sure I didn't mis-state anything.
Tharn,May 31 2005, 01:01 AM Wrote:- The highest horde you will ever meet in Silverpine Forest are SFK groups, who are biggest danger for you. After getting TM flightpath and doing SFK, there's really no point of ever going there for horde. If you already travel there in a group, you should have no problem. Also Ambermill mobs are friendly to you and you can go around the lake if you're paranoid

When I played PvP alliance in the beta, I found the best way was to go along the east side of the Lordamere Lake and then swim across the north side of the lake (or sometimes cutting through the lake and island hopping). This avoids being seen by people in Silverpine forest, where yes higher level players do farm for low level herbs and mineral nodes and also help their friends out. The best way to avoid getting attacked is to not be seen at all, and the east side of Lordamere lake tends to be very quiet.

Quote:- Problems begin around UC - if you are not mounted and zeppelin happens to land, I wish you happy corpserun. That is unless you decide to run around Brill - quite a long run. However this is only for a short part around the UC-Zeppelin route.

Yep, try to get past that area as quick as you can.

Quote:- Worst part is the entrance to SM itself, IMO, because there are meeting horde groups incl. lvl 60 helpers who can decide when to kill you, but not vice versa. I would recommend quick run into the instance, you can look for group there (you have access to General and LFG channels for SM from there).

I wouldn't leave Ironforge -- or at least Southshore -- without a group already assembled. People who are already in the Scarlet Monastery tend to already be in groups, so it might take you a long time to find a group if you just showed up unannounced.
MongoJerry,May 31 2005, 03:59 PM Wrote:When I played PvP alliance in the beta, I found the best way was to go along the east side of the Lordamere Lake and then swim across the north side of the lake (or sometimes cutting through the lake and island hopping).&nbsp;
[right][snapback]79061[/snapback][/right]

Yes, this is correct. Run Northwest from SS, up through the lake. There is no reason to go through Silverpine -- not only is it out of the way, but you will see Horde there.

I have only had pvp action in Tirisfal one time. A level 60 shaman tried to attack us, and I was chasing him into Brill pounding on the backstab key. I finally killed him in sight of the guards; another few seconds and we would have been toast.

The actual instance entrance can be really bad for alliance. For some reason, there are always ?? horde there. Make sure everyone knows which instance to enter, and try to get in as fast as possible.

I was helping a friend out yesterday in the armory with my 60 rogue. When we went out of the instance to reset, there were 3 horde there, levels 60, 60, 58, along with about 2 or 3 other alliance and horde of the usual 35-40 levels. I started attacking and killed the 58, and almost finished off one of the 60s in the confusion before they jumped into the instance. I think they freaked out when they saw someone who could actually hit them and panic hit them hard, heh.

Back on topic: I don't think you can really expect to stealth Loksey. He's standing with 3 dogs surrounding him, so he's really hard to get to without being seen. I've never even tried it. We usually have the tank on Loksey, and kill off the dogs with the dps characters one by one. He's rarely any trouble, especially for a group that is powerful enough to progess on to the Armory or Library.
Thanks for the PvP check - I also revised the 'sap' recommendation re: Loksey.

Hopefully the initial draft of the last two sections will be finished soon - I promise I'll finish before MJ finishes his LBRS journal! ;)
One other thing about the cathedral map: that red line is not the line we usually follow. Every time I have done the cath, we run through the fountain, up the stairs, and back into the fountain. This lets you skip most of the mobs on the sides altogether.

Once at the top, we pull all the mobs on the lawn into the fountain.